bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hi everyone, I am new to the website. I have been an emotional wreck the last 4 days, not eating or sleeping.
I have been in love with bulldogs for the last 10 years, watching every youtube video, following every instagram account and over the last year driving 50 miles just to pick up my friends bulldog for a day. I recently moved in with my girlfriend and she has fallen in love with bulldogs as well. Fast forward to last month - we started communicating with a reputable breeder about a puppy. My GF and I started discussing and when it came time for a decision the breeder had told us she had sold the dog. That night we were both very upset and had what we thought was a realization that we really want a bulldog. Somehow the next day the breeder calls us and says that a puppy became available because someone could no longer take him, we thought this was a sign and it was meant to be so we quickly put a deposit down. Here is where the drama starts.
I have ordered every single thing we need for the dog: crates, food, toys, bowls, etc. and they are all sitting in my car. I am supposed to be driving down to VA as I write this to pick the puppy up, however, I am at home because at the last minute we told the breeder we can't take the dog. I've developed such anxiety thinking that for the next 8-12 years this dog will rely on us for everything. We are relatively young, I'm 27 and my GF is 31. I thought our social life would disappear, no more vacations, no longer the ability to go out and that everything would rely on this dog. I've read about post puppy blues and I wonder if that's what I am experiencing. I woke up feeling so down and a part of me wants to write the breeder and say we are coming to get the little guy. I've been telling myself that if I am like this maybe now is not the right time for a dog. Part of me feels like I should wait another year before we settle down and get married and another part of me is saying there is never a right time and this dog will change your life for the better. at if I had him I would give all my time and energy to make sure he is happy and well taken care off. I am just looking for honest opinions and advice, perhaps anyone else has had a similar situation?
Thank you in advance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION] Well, I have had dogs since I got married(very young!). After our childhood dog passed, my parents wouldn't let me have a dog. After the wedding, my husband and I went dog hunting. Of course back then, not knowing any better we got one at a pet shop. Of course she was sick(distemper) and a vet cured her. She was our child. She went everywhere with us(that would allow) she was well mannered, and everyone loved her. Many people got their own dog, because of her!
Having one dog is not so difficult. You can take them many places,teach them many things,and teach them manners. The most difficult time for many is the puppyhood--
potty training, teaching them not to bite,and making sure there are no things that they can swallow, or chew, that they shouldn't. Personally, I love pups, AND training them! Wish I could have MORE(I have 5).
If you really love dogs, and have some patience, and are not obsessive about your house being perfect,the love and joy a puppy will bring to you, you will not be sorry. You will wonder how you lived without a dog! Don't know how you found your breeder, hope not on Craigslist, or pet shop, make sure they are on the "up and up", you can see their house, the parents, and I would recommend asking for the Veterinarian's name and phone number, and call and talk to him/her-see about their dog's health. l
We are all here for support, and any problems you might have! Of course, me being a "dog person" I say Go for it-you will not regret it-many places(don't know where you live) have day care, and boarding for dogs(or some have relatives to babysit)if the need be!) Please let us know if and when you go for it!! Merry Christmas puppy!!:christmas36::christmas26:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION].... I sure wouldn't want to be in your shoes the day your future wife tells you she's pregnant! Lolll It's ALLLLL normal for " some " to react like you do. Everyone is different. As [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] mentioned one is much easier to get around in a life syles. I have 2 and days I do have to ask one of my sons to babysit as im not a big believer in doggie daycare. But that's me. I like someone to give their 100% attention on my pups if they need it as I would to theirs. Keep us posted! And WELCOME!!!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all Welcome to EBN!!! :welcome2:

I want you to know that it's refreshing to see someone actually contemplating ALL the changes that will happen once your bring home a new EBD. SO many people will bring home a new puppy, and then realize that they didn't think about the consequences... I will tell you from experience that there is NEVER a good time to get married, have a baby, get a dog... Lol What I mean is that YES it's important to be prepared financially and emotionally, but truth be told change comes with the good and the bad. I remember the first day I was by myself w/my newborn son, and I was thinking "What the heck have we done, I have NO idea how to do this!!!" Lol.

I'm from a military family, and our motto has always been "It takes a village!!!" You will have people to rely on to help you with vacations, and when you are away... BUT if you feel that having a puppy would tie you down too much then I agree NOW is not the time. Whenever I feel really overwhelmed when making a decision, I write down a list of pros and cons. Take the time to go over that list w/your gf... then you will feel like you make a responsible choice.

I wish you luck on your decision... and honestly when the time is right, I think you will make a wonderful EBD dad!!! Happy Holidays to you!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION] :welcome3: to EBN!!

as others have said... yes, your life will change, but for the better! I was NEVER a dog person and gave in to it for my boyfriend, I had all the same concerns you have now.. care, food, health, going placing, vacations, etc. You very quickly learn to balance all that.. similar to work/life balance, you find balance with the care of you 'baby'. I will be honest... we are now 13 years in to having dogs in our life and I have come to the realization that I'd rather be no where else than home snuggling, playing and enjoying my two boys. We take them everywhere with us that we can, vacations, errands, family/friends houses etc. At first it is hard to find the balance, but once they capture your heart... your life will revolve around them.

So, if you really want a dog in your life... there are some times you will need to back out of plans, just like with a child, but you find a trusted friend or pet sitter and plan for them to babysit.

any change in life will through you into anxiety and 'what if's'... however, if you never take the step to try, you will always be in the same place.

BEST of luck with your decision and please keep us posted.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Puppy WILL change your life in many ways. Having a bulldog isn’t a light walk, bcs they often have troubles with food(not everything suits them), health issues I’m sure you are aware of, and with all these things come really big expenses.
You think puppy costs a lot, but wait until you get him! Another thing you are right about - you won’t have always all your time to yourself. You will have to leave party in time for evening potty, because otherwise you come home to a nice steamy....you know what. Going to vacations - add 40 usd per day for your doggy’s hotel, and bulldogs cannot fly, no airline flies them. So, you can only consider car travels with your bully.
Frankly speaking, in my opinion, bulldog is too high maintenance dog for young couple like you (it’s a dog for old farts, in other words:D ). The best timing to get a puppy would be when you get married and settle down and have kids (because when you have kids, your party and social life is anyway doomed for couple of years or so:yes:), so one more furry kid won’t make a big difference:D

P.S. I must say, I’m very impressed with your thoughtfulness, because usually people just bring a cutie pie home and after that start thinking about how it will change their lives, and then rehome their poor pets etc. If you have any doubt, it’s better to wait a bit, because bulldog is amazing breed, but you need certain amount of free time for them, certain level of financial freedom and LOTS of devotion. It’s definitely the most desired, but at the same time the most demanding breed of dogs.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
IMO, if you are not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that the time is right, then do not do it. Same applies for marriage and having children. You'll know when the time is right and when you decide that it is, then take your time and research the breeders carefully. Know whether you want a male of female and decide on a preferred color, etc. When that time comes, let us know. We can help you in all sorts of ways. naming, what to feed, what toys are OK, what treats, training, kenneling, teething, etc, etc.
Too many bulldogs end up in rescue that were purchased from B/Y Breeders on the spur of the moment. Slow down and think long and hard about this...you'll make the right decision.

Find an approved Bulldog Breeder

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hi! I want to thank all of you that responded. After thinking about this for the past 2 days. We have decided to get the Bully! We are going to Virginia tomorrow to pick him up. He is from a championship bloodline, the breeder is BCA Hall of Fame Breeder and an AKC Judge. I felt like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] was right, unless we take this step we will never know. There is never a right time for anything, you will always find an excuse or something that you need to do. We will keep you posted and definitely ask many questions along the way. Thank you all again!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Vacations once you own an EB do not happen unless you can take them with you. I have turned down so many good jobs because I would have to rehome Chunky or find a dog sitter just to be able to stay home with the little guy but I do not regret it

Sorry I am no help!! LOL

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi! I want to thank all of you that responded. After thinking about this for the past 2 days. We have decided to get the Bully! We are going to Virginia tomorrow to pick him up. He is from a championship bloodline, the breeder is BCA Hall of Fame Breeder and an AKC Judge. I felt like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] was right, unless we take this step we will never know. There is never a right time for anything, you will always find an excuse or something that you need to do. We will keep you posted and definitely ask many questions along the way. Thank you all again!

with such good info, and years of thought put into this, i am SOOOOOOOOooooooooo excited for you and looking forward to pictures!! How exciting. And IF you get there, and something is not quite right, i think you two will know then also what to do. Do what you feel once your face to face with it all :) Looks like one lucky pup.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
welllllllllll????????????????????????? any news for us? :)

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Vacations once you own an EB do not happen unless you can take them with you. I have turned down so many good jobs because I would have to rehome Chunky or find a dog sitter just to be able to stay home with the little guy but I do not regret it

Sorry I am no help!! LOL

Yes! We need puppy pictures!!:)

I would pet sit Chunky! Bella would love a play date! lol

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Well after 2 days of having the little guy we are so excited. My heart literally races when I go home to see him. As I mentioned my GF and I are relatively younger so this is a completely new experience for us on several fronts. We've gotten about 5-6 hours of sleep the past two nights, but no matter how tired we are we both love playing with him in the morning. Typically he cries for about 30-45 minutes at night when we put him in his crate/pen and then falls asleep. I've read and also been told by friends that they key is to not give in always go to him when he cries. During the day he is super lively and we've gotten so many toys for him, but he likes to take a nap every hour and a half or so. We both work, but my job is 5 minutes away so I go home for lunch and he is never alone for more than 4 hours. We both have off the rest of this week so we will spend alot of time with him this weekend. We've started to house train and it may be starting to work but he still has accidents on the floor or carpet. I'd say 60-70% of the time is on a pad. Since he's not fully vaccinated and its freezing in NJ we can't take him out until February probably. All in all it was a great decision and we are so excited.

Here are some pictures and I will keep you all posted. Thank you so much for the support!!!!

IMG_9456.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ohhhhh...he’s adorable. I love his little nose with the two white marks. Best of luck. What’s his name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
He is just adorable!
Get ready for some laughs!!

Members online

No members online now.