wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
So today at work I am showing off pictures of my buddy and a big boss at the office says "Oh i'm getting a bulldog too next week". I look at her surprised as I never heard her mention this before and when we were researching the breed I was talking about it all the time. She tells me that she is getting the dog from a local shelter and that she thinks he is an english bulldog.....so after going over the info it sounds like the dog is some type of bulldog mix, can't really tell without the pics. I go on to tell her about the need for special dog food due to allergies, and she looks at me like I have 6 heads. Allergies?? Special Foods?? Am I like here we go....this is the typical I love the look and have no idea about the breed. Sooo after 15 minutes about going over all the medical issues, daily grooming requirements, vet expenses, you name it she sounded like she was second guessing her judgement. I feel ambivalent about this talk. If she doesn't take the dog I will feel horrible for the dog, but if she did before the talk who knows what would have come out of it. My fear is that she talks to someone else who has a bulldog but doesn't practice everything we do on here and she doesn't listen to what I have to say and picks up some bad habits. Anyways I feel like I did the right thing and I felt like the expert for once sharing all the amazing knowledge i learned on here. She is a great woman and extremely intelligent and i'm sure she would be great with the dog, but i just worry about ANYONE getting into this breed uninformed

Last edited:
OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
To add to the post I informed her about this site and told her to come on here and read as much as she can in the next week before she gets the dog. She said the dog has a rear leg issues (was limping) but there she's not sure what. She said the dog is going to the vet this week to be fixed and the leg looked at. I suggested she contact the vet too herself to find out what the issue was or if there were any other issues. I also offered to pick my brain anytime to make sure she makes the best decision for herself and the dog

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
You did the right thing. it is hard not to think about the bully not getting a home but maybe someone more apt to deal with the breed will end up with him, you just have to think positive and even your boss may be the one. I go through all the rigamarole too when someone says, oooh I want one. No one including myself before getting one realizes how much more of a commitment you need to this breed over others.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think you did the right thing. My programs manager got and EB on line shortly after I got Mocha. I even when and got her a few EB books, I got a list of great foods,talked to her about the possible medical problems. She got this dog on line(without any research), the poor thing looks so sick all the time.It hasnt gained much weight, and she makes fun of me because i "fuss" to much over Mocha:ohmy:. I feel like dognapping it!

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
She is a great woman and extremely intelligent and i'm sure she would be great with the dog, but i just worry about ANYONE getting into this breed uninformed

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think you also did the right thing although I understand that you feel bad. I *TRY* not to be too overbearing myself, but it is soooo hard!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You did good and should NOT feel guilty about telling her the truth and what to expect. This pup needs to be adopted BUT doesnt need to be sent back to the shelter because the owners didnt know what they were getting themselves into. I hope she does still want him, let us know what happens.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
You did the right thing, and from my own personal experience, as much as I THOUGHT I knew, until you have one living with you... reading, education, talking is one thing,.... living with one is a whole different ball-game...although I would NOT change a thing!! You all know I :luv: my Vegas.

L

Lucy-licious

You did just what I would do in your situation.....yes the dog needs a new forever home but ideally he needs to go where someone is fully prepared for his needs.
if she does still take him then all well and good as she is doing so with her eyes open to possible future problems, and if not well you have saved her and the dog a lot of unnessecary heart ache. :up:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Good decision informing her. Would do the same thing if I were in your shoes. I say keep positive, she might surprise you on how well she'll take care of her new dog. Adopting from a shelter and taking him to the vet right away are great signs thus far. Maybe she'll even ask you for more advice.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Well you can give information...and it sounds like it went went in and didn't go out the other ear. And that she's turning it around in her head...a limping bulldog...[Torn ACL ?] Anyways...we can inform...but as a horse you can lead them to water and not make them drink. Only educate, if she does get this dog...it sounds like she at least has a heads up. And...if she passes on the dog then it was a good thing you explained now before she was over her head. If she decides to take it. Then she's a bit more informed than had you not said anything...

Some people don't have time for forums...as I was told by someone who has a bullie pup. So they ask me all sorts of questions. And so far I've been able to answer them. And I honestly don't mind...But...I beg to differ that she found a "respectable" breeder. When I seen photos of how the pups were raised. But...I'm not going there...All pups deserve a home...she's able to provide it with the medical care it will need. So...I wish her luck with him in my friends case.

You'll have to keep us posted as to if she gets the dog or not...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I agree [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] adopting and going to the vet right away is a great start. All I have to add is that not all Bulldogs require the same amount of maintenance.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] I have to agree...not all are the same maintenance...Where Tank's facial wrinkles never seem to be bothersome anymore...he has a tail pocket...Sarge doesn't have the tail pocket...but a deep nose rope. Each has their "own" quarks that need addressed. Sarge by far has been the healthiest bulldog to date in our home. Tank's face rarely ever needs cleaned...Sarge on the other hand...NOT the case.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
So true [MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] each Bulldog has different needs. There are breeders out there who breed for health and temperment, and their dogs will usually be lower maintenance!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.