Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hi there all!! New member here. I'm a pug Momma and now a bulldog momma too. We adopted Bacon off of craigslist from a pretty neglectful situation. We were told he's 9; (which from reading, he's getting to be an older guy in Bully years.) Bu since getting him and taking care of his multiple health issues he seems to be feeling much better and way more energetic. He loves his chew toys and his tug rope, and is completely in love with his bed...(as in, he humps it constantly. lol) We have had him since mid September, and have definitely bonded. He does have a stubborn streak a mile long. He is super skittish with objects. For example, he lets me pet, snuggle and love on him, but as soon as I grab the harness and try to put it on him, he will growl and snap. We are trying to use training treats to show him the harness is okay. I'm also trying to get him into the groomer to get his nails trimmed. We have gone to the vet and gotten a sedative... I'm hoping we can get him in and not get anyone bit. I guess, I'm seeking advice on how to deal with these behavior issues. I don't know his past to understand why he acts that way, but I want him to trust us enough to do things to help him. I have been pretty successful with being able to take care of his nose ropes, etc. Something we couldn't have even tried when we first got him. I just want him to be a happy and healthy boy for as long as we are blessed with him.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Try to put harness before feeding him and leave it 4 some time, then he associates harness with eating, which is good for bulldogs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there all!! New member here. I'm a pug Momma and now a bulldog momma too. We adopted Bacon off of craigslist from a pretty neglectful situation. We were told he's 9; (which from reading, he's getting to be an older guy in Bully years.) Bu since getting him and taking care of his multiple health issues he seems to be feeling much better and way more energetic. He loves his chew toys and his tug rope, and is completely in love with his bed...(as in, he humps it constantly. lol) We have had him since mid September, and have definitely bonded. He does have a stubborn streak a mile long. He is super skittish with objects. For example, he lets me pet, snuggle and love on him, but as soon as I grab the harness and try to put it on him, he will growl and snap. We are trying to use training treats to show him the harness is okay. I'm also trying to get him into the groomer to get his nails trimmed. We have gone to the vet and gotten a sedative... I'm hoping we can get him in and not get anyone bit. I guess, I'm seeking advice on how to deal with these behavior issues. I don't know his past to understand why he acts that way, but I want him to trust us enough to do things to help him. I have been pretty successful with being able to take care of his nose ropes, etc. Something we couldn't have even tried when we first got him. I just want him to be a happy and healthy boy for as long as we are blessed with him.

WELCOME!!!!!

He's old enough not to run away from you. You just cant train any dog with a harness and you cant leave it on all day as they can develop rashes. Try with just the collar for his walks or get a choker like I had to for my little guy. But start with just the collar and see what happens.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Welcome....thank you for saving this boy and giving him a better loving life

Did he come with harness or a collar? have you tried laying the harness on the floor and letting him sniff and get the scent of it before you place it on him? Try to make it a positive experience by letting him inspect the harness and treat him with a good boy when he does not growl or pull away. Do not pet or acknowledge his growls with 'its ok' as that will give him the opinion that his behavior is acceptable only acknowledge and treat no if he just sniffs and lets you approach then say good boy and give a treat.

Also a very easytraining technique to follow is "nothing in life is free". Every human in-house should follow to ensure consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.