Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm surprised that the Bulldog didn't make the list, although the French Bulldog did,

[h=1]10 Dog Breeds That Can Have The Highest Vet Bills[/h]
by Katie Finlayon June 14, 2017

Itā€™s no secret that dogs cost money, especially when it comes to veterinary visits. From routine vaccinations to serious illness or injury, there are thousands of reasons dog owners seek medical help for their dogs each year ā€“ and pay a very pretty penny for it. Although all dog owners should be ready to handle emergencies, understanding your breedā€™s common health problems (if they have any) is important when making day to day decisions about your dogā€™s health.
If youā€™re looking to avoid costly veterinary care and frequent doctor visits, you might want to avoid some breeds completely. Recently, analysts over at Petbreeds, a pet research site, have been working with Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. (VPI) to create a list of dog breeds that rack up the highest veterinary costs per year. VPI is one of the largest pet insurance providers in the United States, so they have quite a bit of data to work with. Looking at various breeds across 2,000 VPI policies, the teams compiled a list of the dog breeds with the largest amounts, on average, of injury and illness claims. Please note that dental cleanings and annual wellness exams were not included in the study, only injury and illness claims. These results are compiled of data from 2011 to 2013, although we donā€™t suspect much has changed.
[h=3]#1 ā€“ Bernese Mountain Dog[/h]
winter-2030351_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Bernese Mountain Dogs is $1,361. This large working breed is strong but gentle, making an excellent companion for children and people of all ages. They are predisposed to a number of health problems, including many types of cancer (osteosarcoma, lymphosarcoma, mast cell tumors, malignant histiocytosis and fibrosarcoma), cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy, arthritis, hip dysplasia, osteochondritis and cruciate ligament ruptures.
[h=3]#2 ā€“ Newfoundland[/h]
dog-1059625_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Newfoundlands is $1,294. Newfoundlands are large, gentle dogs originally bred to rescue victims in the icy waters of Canada. Because of this, they are extremely good-natured and docile. Unfortunately, they are predisposed to certain health issues. These include hip and elbow dysplasia, epilepsy, subvalvular aortic stenosis (which causes what is most accurately described as a heart attack) and bladder stones.
[h=3]#3 ā€“ Rottweiler[/h]
dog-455225_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Rottweilers is $1,186. The Rottweiler is a large, powerful working dog with a deep loyalty to its family. They make excellent active companions, but are predisposed to a variety of health concerns. These include hip dysplasia, Osteochondritis dissecans (a shoulder joint problem), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, osteosarcoma and cataracts.
[h=3]#4 ā€“ English Cocker Spaniel[/h]
cocker-spaniel-english-2388265_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for English Cocker Spaniels is $1,172. These playful dogs were originally bred to be hunters, but they make excellent family companions today. Skin allergies, benign tumors, cataracts and deafness are common issues seen in this breed. Aside from physical ailments, Cockers are often victims of Rage Syndrome. Rage syndrome is described as a dog attacking suddenly, savagely and without awareness of its surroundings. Although it can affect any breed, it is most commonly diagnosed in Cocker Spaniels.
[h=3]#5 ā€“ Doberman Pinscher[/h]The average cost claimed per year for Doberman Pinschers is $1,163. Doberman Pinschers are large, powerful dogs that enjoy spending time with their owners. They are deeply loyal, active dogs that are unfortunately plagued by many health issues. The most common diseases found in Dobermans include dilated cardiomyopathy, von Willebrandā€™s disease and cervical vertebral instability. Prostatic disease, hip dysplasia, bloat and hypothyroidism should also be considered.
[h=3]#6 ā€“ Great Dane[/h]
dog-2098715_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Great Danes is $1,127. These gentle giants may look imposing, but they make great companions for people and children of all ages. Unfortunately, their size brings several problems into play. Great Danes are at a very high risk for bloat, commonly suffer from hip dysplasia, wobbler disease, dilated cardiomyopathy and other congenital heart diseases.
[h=3]#7 ā€“ Rhodesian Ridgeback[/h]
dog-2321451_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Rhodesian Ridgebacks is $1,122. Rhodesians are large, powerful dogs that make excellent active companions. They are prone to their fair share of health issues, however. These include, but are not limited to, hip dysplasia, dermoid sinus, degenerative myelopathy, hypothyroidism and bloat.
[h=3]#8 ā€“ Weimaraner[/h]
dog-2081080_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Weimaraners is $1,111. Weimaraners are very active, intelligent dogs that make excellent family companions. Unfortunately, their health is not as it once was. The breed commonly suffers from elbow dysplasia, bloat, eye problems including distichiasis and entropion, progressive renal atrophy, von Willebrandā€™s disease and others.
[h=3]#9 ā€“ French Bulldog[/h]
french-bulldog-2365684_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for French Bulldogs was $1,087. French Bulldogs are considered the class clowns of the dog world, but they are plagued with many health issues. Their shortened airways lead to breathing problems as well as susceptibility to heat exhaustion as they are unable to cool down as effectively as other breeds. Other ailments include patella luxation, corneal ulcers, cherry eye, spinal malformations and reproductive difficulties.
[h=3]#10 ā€“ Basset Hound[/h]
basset-hounds-883517_640.jpg

The average cost claimed per year for Basset Hounds was $1,064. Originally bred as scent hounds, itā€™s thought that their large ears help draw scent to their noses. Basset hounds are gentle dogs, great with children and often with other pets. They are prone to ear infections, bloat (gastric dilatation volvulus), epilepsy, glaucoma, hip and elbow dysplasia and other health concerns.

[h=5][/h]

[h=5][/h]

[h=5][/h]

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
one of my bulldogs is more expensive than the other....which could change any year....and they're just as expensive as the top dog here!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
one of my bulldogs is more expensive than the other....which could change any year....and they're just as expensive as the top dog here!
MAYYYYYBEEEE the EB isn't on as they gave up giving them first place on yearly basis and wanted to give a chance for other breeds! lolllll

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yes I agree. After three ACL (i.e. puppy CCL) surgeries, Jewel's bout of pancreatitis, and Bentley's daily Ampoquel, Bullies are expensive.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
"10 Dog Breeds That Can Have The Highest Vet Bills"

The way this lead is worded is stupid...ambiguously written for a purpose, or out of ignorance?

Bulldogs are tops and likely always will be. To leave them off of the list entirely is nothing short of irresponsible reporting.

Add to everything mentioned about the Frenchie...ear infections, skin infections, hip dysplasia, cancer, interdigital cysts, entropion, ingrown tail, heart malady, aspiration pneumonia, food allergy, environmental allergy...
That's quiet a laundry list.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
"10 Dog Breeds That Can Have The Highest Vet Bills"

The way this lead is worded is stupid...ambiguously written for a purpose, or out of ignorance?

Bulldogs are tops and likely always will be. To leave them off of the list entirely is nothing short of irresponsible reporting.

Add to everything mentioned about the Frenchie...ear infections, skin infections, hip dysplasia, cancer, interdigital cysts, entropion, ingrown tail, heart malady, aspiration pneumonia, food allergy, environmental allergy...
That's quiet a laundry list.

Kinda like the " Man Flu" ohh la la

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So far I have spent waaaay more money at the vet's on Jax than Louie. But Jax is 4 and had surgery in July and Louie is only 10 months old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is also based on insurance claims so that can add to the difference... many owners may not get to make a claim based on the issue and coverage you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It is also based on insurance claims so that can add to the difference... many owners may not get to make a claim based on the issue and coverage you have

I sure dont. Did the math with Duke and pet insurance in Canada as here everything is like 50% more even with anything on Amazon etc. Would of cost me 250 $ a month with a deductible of 500 $. Whats the point? I have a credit card reserved just for them. Now I got to go knock on wood! :rundog::rundog:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I sure dont. Did the math with Duke and pet insurance in Canada as here everything is like 50% more even with anything on Amazon etc. Would of cost me 250 $ a month with a deductible of 500 $. Whats the point? I have a credit card reserved just for them. Now I got to go knock on wood! :rundog::rundog:

Same... no insurance we have a CC just fir them use only for major costs... surgeries

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Same... no insurance we have a CC just fir them use only for major costs... surgeries

I have Insurance on Ollie. I pay $59 per month. I also had it on Daphne and paid the same. Daphneā€™s end of life charges were just over 6K. The insurance paid 90% of it. I was very thankful we had it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have Insurance on Ollie. I pay $59 per month. I also had it on Daphne and paid the same. Daphneā€™s end of life charges were just over 6K. The insurance paid 90% of it. I was very thankful we had it.

Everything is a lot cheaper in the US. Goes with population. That's a great price!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

I have insurance for both Jax and Louie. Jax's surgery was just under $9,000 and I got 90% back. I didn't even have to hesitate with deciding if I should do the surgery or not.

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose

Hey, just curious as I am also looking to get insurance for my 13 week old puppy...what insurance do you have? I was quoted by Nationwide $82/month and this includes all vet visits/vaccinations...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bulldogs are not on the list because they are simply inaffordable for most of the population. Their costs are simply exorbitant :w00t:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.