MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I never thought that finding a dog food could be so difficult. Chicken gives Jake itchy paws so I switched to Grain free Turkey and holy diarrhea. Now Im so nervous do I try Lamb or Beef and Potato or Salmon ??? I was up with Jake for a whole day and night with the diarrhea from the Turkey Im so unsure which to try. We had a boxer who could only eat Beef and Potato, Lamb and Chicken gave him explosive stool. They have sooo many options my head is spinning.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What brand of food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If the current food is giving him issues, switch him to low fat beef and rice , and if that is ok, gradually try adding a commercial food. Zignature dog foods are one example of limited ingredient kibble, or Honest Kitchen limited ingredients line is an example of a dehydrated raw https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/minimalist-food

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17606]MomofJake[/MENTION] something doesn't jive here. Anything you give him...diarrhea? Let's back up a bit. Like Christine mentioned, What brand of food is it? What was the previous food you fed him? How old is Jake? Also, when he's outside, can he be eating his/other's poop?

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Did you switch gradually or overnight?

OP
M

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok back story on Jake. He is a rescue we adopted a couple of months ago and he is 9. We don't know what kind of food he was on, however his paws are red from licking. He did not have diarrhea when we got him but he would not eat for the rescue it took me two weeks to get him to eat at all. I put him on my other dogs food Nature Chicken and brown rice. He slowly developed runny stools on this so I did a slow switch to Nature Turkey and Pea Grain free. Once the switch was complete explosive poo occurred so I stopped it. He still has runny poo. I was looking at a Limited ingredient Lamb to try next. The rescue thinks he may have been on Chicken. I just dont know which protein is best for this breed I read that beef usually is not good. He has a clean bill of health from the vet and is now as happy as can be since he settled in. All these food issues are new to us since our 7 yr old Puggle is a rock and could eat dirt for a living and never have an issue, lol she loves trying out all these new foods. Jake is our second rescue with food issues our Boxer could only eat 4health beef and potato, he passed a year ago, we like to give older dogs a good home.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Do you mean...
Hill's Ideal Balance Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Adult?
Simply Nourish Natural, Chicken & Brown Rice?
Rachael Ray Nutrish Dish Natural Chicken & Brown Rice?
Nature's Variety Prairie Real Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe?
etc. etc.?
Knowing the brand of food might be helpful.
How much are you feeding and how often?
I cannot recall if you've ever mention whether he's been checked or treated for intestinal parasites...please advise.
Did you ever try the pumpkin like Christine suggested...or try the suggestions that Dolly's Owner made...or suggestions from other members?
It would be helpful to know which of our suggestions you've tried, which showed improvement, and which didn't.
Lastly, I'm not a Vet but if I knew your bully was having "explosive diarrhea" I certainly would not declare "clean bill of health". You should question this.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok back story on Jake. He is a rescue we adopted a couple of months ago and he is 9. We don't know what kind of food he was on, however his paws are red from licking. He did not have diarrhea when we got him but he would not eat for the rescue it took me two weeks to get him to eat at all. I put him on my other dogs food Nature Chicken and brown rice. He slowly developed runny stools on this so I did a slow switch to Nature Turkey and Pea Grain free. Once the switch was complete explosive poo occurred so I stopped it. He still has runny poo. I was looking at a Limited ingredient Lamb to try next. The rescue thinks he may have been on Chicken. I just dont know which protein is best for this breed I read that beef usually is not good. He has a clean bill of health from the vet and is now as happy as can be since he settled in. All these food issues are new to us since our 7 yr old Puggle is a rock and could eat dirt for a living and never have an issue, lol she loves trying out all these new foods. Jake is our second rescue with food issues our Boxer could only eat 4health beef and potato, he passed a year ago, we like to give older dogs a good home.

I answered you in another post thinking he was a puppy lol....

Dog food brandis not always as we say..."one fits for all" or something like that. Rescues do their best feeding all the dog and cant afford giving them high end kibbles. Make sure it's a good quality kibble n no "meal or by products" in it. That means its extremely high in protein n will give dogs often loose stools.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

OP
M

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for the info. I have a phone call into our vet to discuss whats going on with Jake and get me on the correct type of food for him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info. I have a phone call into our vet to discuss whats going on with Jake and get me on the correct type of food for him.

Whatever you do, if the vets suggest Royal Canin DO NOT give that to your dog! Its full of grains n feathers as fillers. Vets gets a % on each bag they sell. You can ask any member in here they will confirm this. Have you tried putting some pumpkin in his food? Not the baking one the real 100% pumpkin. Great for loose stools.

Mom of a bully girl

Aug 15, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hi there-I am the mom of a 6 yo very fussy eater. Not only fussy but SUPER sensitive tummy. We have tried many many foods/brands and have ultimately found Fromm’s Duckenfeffer is great! It is a grain-free diet. Main ingredients are duck and rabbit with veggies etc.
Hope this helps.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Whatever you do, if the vets suggest Royal Canin DO NOT give that to your dog! Its full of grains n feathers as fillers. Vets gets a % on each bag they sell. You can ask any member in here they will confirm this. Have you tried putting some pumpkin in his food? Not the baking one the real 100% pumpkin. Great for loose stools.

As Helene states.... stay away from vet sold food-- all crap no nutrition .

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I think it's criminal that Vets are not better schooled in nutrition. Most with which I'm familiar know far less about nutrition than the members here. That's a sad fact.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it's criminal that Vets are not better schooled in nutrition. Most with which I'm familiar know far less about nutrition than the members here. That's a sad fact.

Very true... our vet admits to it and says to stay up on latest technology and all their certifications there just isn't enough time. He however does spend 'some' time and has a holistic vet employed at his practice

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.