Very embarrasing.....

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos will be 4 months old on the 13th of April. He has "humped" since about 8 wks old, but now it constant. If he sees a leg, or anything he can hump, he does. We tell him no sturnly, and physically stop him, but it lasts for a few minutes. :eek: He puts his paws around my leg and claws me til he gets in his position.....and dang it hurts. If I try to stop him, he growls kinda and keeps trying. I will take any advice u have!!! We tried a spray bottle and it doesnt work well anymore, he like to lick it :crazy: I plan on neutering him when hes old enough, isn't that around 6 months old? or older??

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas was marking people..so my vet neutered him at 5 months. But he never humped anything. Thankfully

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
yes, 4 months is old enough...Bertie my female humps Dexter every now and then...I guess she wants equal rights! LOL

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Just a comment from one that know to well........neutering may help the situation, but in my case NOT, Vegas was neutered at 4 months, he is now 2 and still can get his hump on. :eek: I hope this will not be your case, I have been very embarrassed of him and his ways.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Because of his hip surgery, I had to neuter Truman at 3 months and he's none the worse for wear - I would do it now before it becomes bigger habit.

[MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION] - You made me laugh! Bertie is liberated!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Be very firm with Him.Do not let him do it. Specially if he growls at you,that is a big no no. because if he gets used to doing this perhaps when you get him neuter he will continue to do this out of habit.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I would not permit him to growl...if he growled while you were trying to correct. He's showing you that he's alpha in your pack. He needs to be corrected and if that doesn't work. Then crated for a bit. Just as when a puppy continues to bite play. You redirect them with a firm no...and then a positive praise when they are redirected and actually doing something that is praise worthy. But a growl...absolutely not! I would crate him...then leave him out a bit...and continue on. A dog should never be allowed to growl...and not be put away for that sort of behavior.

Back in the day of puppy kindergarten...we were told to grab the extra skin around the neck area [This is not cruel a mother dog uses the extra skin around the neck to move her puppies]...and raise the dogs front paws up off the ground while making eye contact...and a firm "NO" and not to lose eye contact until they look away. This is when you've won and are the alpha of the two. But that is how we were taught to correct a behavior where the dog growls back at you.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy will occasionally try and hump one of the schnauzers .. then the two schnauzers try and hump each other. Sometimes, it's just one big ol' love-fest in our house! :LMAO:

Luckily, they stop when they get told no ... and it's not often.

As many others have said above me ... you DO need to correct the growling though. In a pack, as leader, Chaos would not dream of humping you or growling at you!! Make sure you maintain the alpha position!!

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Growl at me? Ohhhhhh "L" no! Usually a firm No..Bad Dog will do it...... if not.....It's time for an additude adjustment with the attention getting slap of my hand to his face...That says I'm not afraid of you and I'm the bad-*ss here so pay attention boy when I'm a talkin to ya....or da rolled magazine on da butt wake up boy and pay attention! Growl again? I'll grab something more substantial.........a fireplace cleaning shovel........and fire da butt some more and am I getting through that thick skull of yours yet! Then ........crate him. I'm the Alpha dog here and Duke knows it. He knows he doesn't want to take it to that level.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Yes, he is old enough to neuter and get control of that growl. I agree 100% with [MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] do not let the dog growl at you. With some dogs the "give 'em an inch they'll take a mile" is so true.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Norm was put on craigs-list becasue the owner couldn't handle his humping. He is now neutered, and humps only on occassion. I kept a leash hooked to his halter and whenever I saw the gleam in his eye, I'd yank the leash and say no sternly. Has worked pretty well for us.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.