Advice on raising two pups from same litter??

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
Hello,
My wife and I lost our English Bulldog several months ago to health complications. He was only 2. We couldn't bring ourselves to buy another English Bulldog so we got two Olde English Bulldogges! They are great puppies and full of life. They are brother and sister from the same litter. Does anyone have experience raising two dogs from the same litter? We are concerned with them bonding with each other more than us. I know seperate training and taking them for activities individually will be beneficial. Just looking for some advice on those who have experienced this before. Thanks!!
20171124_111812_1511551110616.jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Congratulations! I cannot offer any advice but I can see that they are adorable!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
There's a few members have siblings just like you. Seems most of them get along. You will get the odd fights no matter what. Just make sure you intervene immediately and show both they are NOT the boss or yes you'll have issues. Just be observant. Like raising children!!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
don't know your answer,,,, but they are adorable!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17491]Ulfberht[/MENTION] I have raised two dogs from the same litter. You will,of course, have the male neutered and female spayed, when the time is right. They will be bonded to each other,as far as, if one is gone, the other will be looking for the sibling-but that would be the same with any two dogs that live together. It is easier on you because they will play with and "bite" each other. If mine got too rough with each other,I would make them settle down. They would eat together,until I saw that one was too fast, then they would have seperate dishes, and I would stand and watch,while they ate. No fights allowed. You really treat each one as an individual, as they will be different. Teach them manners,etc. just as you would with one. When grown up, mine have an occasional fight over a toy-but I break that up quickly. I have females. Some say male and female don't fight with each other. I say it depends on the dog. I have one who is selfish!! Best of luck with your two "kids"!
I am sorry to hear about your first boy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What beauties!! So sorry for the loss of your boy.

I have not raised siblings, but as in all two dog household, be sure to set yourself as the leader... use 'nothing in life is free' and be sure to stay consistent -- all humans follow same commands and rules with the pups.

Best of luck and keep us posted

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I also have two littermates, a boy and a girl. They're 6 1/2 now. previous posts are right - you just have to train two at the same time, and of course get them spayed/neutered!!! I have had some fights, Im not gonna lie. Most stem from my male being a huge resource-guarder, and many of the fights have been over food. I just make sure theres space between them when they eat. There's also times when they fight over silly things, like one is coming in the door and the other was going out, etc. It was at its worse when they were 2-4, it really simmered down when they were 4. They are inseparable and they really rely on each other. - Layla is a very typical brave stubborn bulldog and Wilbur follows her lead when it comes to other dogs or what to bark at! I didn't really separate them for individual activities or anything like that. They each have their own distinct personalities naturally, and my female loves her daddy and Wilbur is a real momma's boy! They are bonded yes but I was never concerned with the bonding more to each other than to us... you'll all be one happy family!
Wilbur has always had some health concerns and as a result I would be taking him to the vet and leaving Layla at home alone, and she was fine. But I would never leave Wilbur home alone, he would be very anxious. So I would say it depends on their personalities, if you want them to do separate things. I remember reading that too when they were pups (because I'd also never had littermates) but I didn't worry about it too much with not really any negative effects.

Unfortunately I'm facing cancer with Wilbur so I know I will lose him... I am devastated and I worry about how Layla will cope without him (but as posted above, this is always the way with a multi dog household).

Enjoy your time and don't worry too much about separating them! They're too cute and funny together lol!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.