New member question about flying with EB to Hawaii.

Gatorsmom78

Nov 19, 2017
Hawaii
Country
Usa šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator
I am new to this site, well I've browsed here but never registered so I hope I'm asking in the correct thread. I searched the site and many other places and couldn't find a definitive answer. I am moving to Hawaii in January. Has anyone ever flown with their EB? Every airline I have found restricts short nose dogs. I know there are services I can pay and I'm also well aware of the risks but already talked it over with Gators vet who stated there is a minimal chance of any issues if Gator flew. I'm one of the lucky moms (sarcasm) that has a very hyperactive bully. 2.5 years ago when I researched this breed, I thought I was going to become a pupparent of a mellow, lazy dog. Needless to say I didn't. If Gator doesn't go to doggy daycare 3x a week, i would never be able to relax. Nonetheless he is my boy so I have hit a major predicament. Rehoming or not bringing him is NOT an option, I will decline the job offer first. But I don't want to do that either.

Even though I'm a combat veteran and I'm diagnosed with things that I could clearly get an emotional support animal, I do not have a doctor that would write me a legitimate prescription. Plus I'm to close to my departure date to try to go that route now...or so I think?

Sorry this is so long winded but this is a huge issue right now. It's bad enough he will have to be quarantined for awhile because Hawaii has a 120 day rule unless animals have blood work sent to Kansas City. I did that immediately however the timing is still less than 120 days. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to watch him while the wait time is up.

So I guess my questions are what airlines or options do I have so my EB can fly?

Has anyone ever used the services that offers to ship pets?

If he flew as my ESA in cabin how difficult is it to get a doctor to write a prescription for one? Even if I explained it was a one time deal? Although not divulging to deeply, with my combat time, previous history and that I'm currently under care for mental health, I probably could benefit from an ESA. I'm in the state of Arkansas, Gator is 2.5 years old neutered male and healthy.

Thank you and my apology if this is in the wrong section and that it's so long.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17802]Gatorsmom78[/MENTION] It seems to me, since you are presently under care for mental health, your Dr./therapist should be willing to provide you with necessary document, and you can buy emotional support dog vest. I am sure you will also have to have proof of his recent shots,as you probably have,as he has to go in quarantine in Hawaii. Call the airline and see what they require-ask them what is required for your emotional support dog. You might have to pay for a seat for him.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I believe no one flies in cargo snub nosed dogs in the USA. So you have only 2 options - 1st is to get paperwork from doctor that you need your dog as ESA ( itā€™s not difficult, just a letter) and then any aircompany must accept your bulldog inside the cabin. Second option - special pet airlines, itā€™s kind of charter flights. Check out Pet Airway, Pet Air etc.
I think paper from doctor is very easy and cheap way, as far as I know, Air companies accept it just fine and you can buy a ticket for your bully. Second way with special agencies is...way more expensive !

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I believe no one flies in cargo snub nosed dogs in the USA. So you have only 2 options - 1st is to get paperwork from doctor that you need your dog as ESA ( itā€™s not difficult, just a letter) and then any aircompany must accept your bulldog inside the cabin. Second option - special pet airlines, itā€™s kind of charter flights. Check out Pet Airway, Pet Air etc.
I think paper from doctor is very easy and cheap way, as far as I know, Air companies accept it just fine and you can buy a ticket for your bully. Second way with special agencies is...way more expensive !

Just did a quick search on the web and this site said you don't have to pay for an extra ticket on an airline. ( Don't know if this is a reputable site )
https://www.officialservicedogregistry.com/register-your-dog/register-your-emotional-support-dog/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience but wanted to wish you the best and hope you are able to make this all work out

welcome!

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
These guys are right, you should call your doctor, tell them your situation and that it's time sensitive and ask if they can e-mail you a letter saying he is your emotional support dog. It does not have to be a detailed letter. You should not have to pay for another ticket. I personally wouldn't trust having any dog, but especially a bulldog in the cargo are.

OP
G

Gatorsmom78

Nov 19, 2017
Hawaii
Country
Usa šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator
My apologies for not replying earlier. After the stress and ordeal of the above situation and trying to move to Hawaii, I completely forgot to respond.
As an update I did by the grace of god find a doctor who was a legitimate doctor and not an online fake company that was willing to write me a letter. Although I did have to pay and have an appointment verifying there was a previous diagnosis in my medical history justifying an ESA. Although the verification was a hassle it was comforting to know he wasnā€™t writing just anyone with a pet an ESA letter to abuse the system. Gator was able to fly with me on American but here are some lessons learned for anyone who wants to attempt a long flight with your dog.
1. Buy a ticket for your dog to have a seat. I didnā€™t do this because I believed online information stating I wasnā€™t allowed which resulted in me sitting cross crossed the entire flight so the leg space was enough room for my dog. In addition to a sympathetic young man who wasnā€™t bothered by my dog touching him. One lady made a fuss about it and I was so embarrassed that she ended up leaving and getting a new flight. So my suggestion is get a seat so you have room.
2. Unless youā€™re moving and have no other options I wouldnā€™t suggest flying with a dog, besides people looking at you like youā€™re trying to save a few $$$ and not understanding this is your only option to move with your pet across the ocean, the flight is hard enough but with a dog itā€™s so much worse.
3. Luckily they quarantine now for Hawaii is 30 days but still if you can avoid DO NOT QUARANTINE. A year and a half later Iā€™m still dealing with issue from his 5 weeks quarantined. Besides the horrible conditions and being stuck in a 5x10 cage outside, upon picking him up he showed aggression towards other dogs and is scared of every sound. 18 months later Iā€™m still dealing with minor issues but it took a lot of training and socializing at dog daycare to help this.

Overall had I other options I wouldnā€™t of gone this route but seeing as this was my only option I do not regret it for the world. Gator loves Hawaii although the heat gets rough on him, I ensure I always have cold water and his dog bowl with me when we go places and I bought these long ice packs at target that lays perfectly over his back to cool him off. Otherwise than that I no longer deal with runny eyes from allergies or cold weather to keep him cooped up inside.

If anyone is attempting to travel with your EB and has questions donā€™t hesitate to shoot me a message.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17802]Gatorsmom78[/MENTION] why did they quarantine Gator if you guys are from USA as Hawaii is part of US even though itā€™s sitting in Canada? Thought you donā€™t need to quarantine within the same country. I know you need go through Canada if youā€™re driving, but flying? Or maybe I missed something.

Glad you all made it safely n enjoying Hawaii:)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
@Gatorsmom78 why did they quarantine Gator if you guys are from USA as Hawaii is part of US even though itā€™s sitting in Canada? Thought you donā€™t need to quarantine within the same country. I know you need go through Canada if youā€™re driving, but flying? Or maybe I missed something.

Glad you all made it safely n enjoying Hawaii:)

You sure youre not thinkng of Alaska? Hawaii is surfers paradise in Pacific and very far from Canada!
Hawaii have a very unique and vulnerable plant and animal world which can be threatened by diseases introduced with pets. Thatā€™s why they have very strict rules and quarantine.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to Gator - great to hear you managed to solve the problem and move with your human! Best of luck and hope you will settle down nicely.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You sure youre not thinkng of Alaska? Hawaii is surfers paradise in Pacific and very far from Canada!
Hawaii have a very unique and vulnerable plant and animal world which can be threatened by diseases introduced with pets. Thatā€™s why they have very strict rules and quarantine.

FFS HAHAHA duhhh me. Iā€™m so sorry

I was thinking of Hawaii but how Alaska got in my brain IDK!!! My brain was more on why Hawaii or anywhere in US pets needs to be quarantined. Go figure I majored in geography. I should not answer people till I had my first coffee.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
FFS HAHAHA duhhh me. Iā€™m so sorry

I was thinking of Hawaii but how Alaska got in my brain IDK!!! My brain was more on why Hawaii or anywhere in US pets needs to be quarantined. Go figure I majored in geography. I should not answer people till I had my first coffee.

Dont worry we didnā€™t think anything bad about you! It was obvious that itā€™s one of those funny mistakes when your brain just plays jokes with you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dont worry we didnā€™t think anything bad about you! It was obvious that itā€™s one of those funny mistakes when your brain just plays jokes with you!

Itā€™s been playing a lot of jokes lately. In the middle of selling my business n then going to be the houses then finding something back home...blah blah blah... so yes, time for a ā€œkit katā€ break loll

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.