Harley is having a reaction

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
I woke up this morning and seen that Harley had slight swelling on the left side of her face and she was itching it. Her, Beau (new puppy) and I went outside to play and I noticed she was itching that eye again and holy cow it swelled up in just a couple hours. I immediately gave her some Benadryl. It has been about 4 hours now and she isn’t getting worse but she isn’t getting better. Her air ways are definitely restricted. She won’t breath out of her mouth just her nose.

Any ideas? IMG_5900.JPG
771471f0135ceb362a3bf83889fda57a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Could she have eaten a bee or something. If she is having trouble breathing, take her to the vet immediately!! It can go downhill very fast.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
It just started this morning.. I gave her a kong ball yesterday with cheese and bacon flavor inside.. and I gave her a new joint pill yesterday.. that’s the only two things different

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep an eye on her and pay attention to her breathing... any signs of distress get to the ER. Also, you can give Benedryl up to 3x a day.... 1mg per pound

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If she cannot breathe normally, she needs to go to the vet, now.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
She is 67lbs and I gave her 3 25mgs Benadryl at 12 today.. then at 3:45 my wife was getting impatient and gave her one 25mg dose.. she can breath silently now and dinner is almost done so she is really focused on the chicken breast.. so Now at 6:15 I agreed to giving Harley a 50mg dose.. she is stabilized and breathing better.. the swelling in her cheeks have gone down but not her eyes.. we are just watching her closely

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
She is 67lbs and I gave her 3 25mgs Benadryl at 12 today.. then at 3:45 my wife was getting impatient and gave her one 25mg dose.. she can breath silently now and dinner is almost done so she is really focused on the chicken breast.. so Now at 6:15 I agreed to giving Harley a 50mg dose.. she is stabilized and breathing better.. the swelling in her cheeks have gone down but not her eyes.. we are just watching her closely

Max dose is 4 mg /kg every 8 hours, which is 120 mg every 8 hours. You still have room to dose her more.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Max dose is 4 mg /kg every 8 hours, which is 120 mg every 8 hours. You still have room to dose her more.

I’m not understanding what you mean by 4mg every 8 hours... that’s 32mg.. not 120mg..?

And my math from my previous post we have gave her 150mg in an almost 8 hour span..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I’m not understanding what you mean by 4mg every 8 hours... that’s 32mg.. not 120mg..?
And my math from my previous post we have gave her 150mg in an almost 8 hour span..

So long you stick to the dosage mentioned above you're fine " benedryl up to 3x a day.... 1mg per pound "
That looks very much as a bite/sting. How's Harley right now? I would have Harley sleep not too far from me so I can listen to the breathing.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
So long you stick to the dosage mentioned above you're fine " benedryl up to 3x a day.... 1mg per pound "
That looks very much as a bite/sting. How's Harley right now? I would have Harley sleep not too far from me so I can listen to the breathing.

Harley is our baby. She sleeps at the foot of our bed every night. We will definitely monitor her sleep/breathing tonight.. she is actually sleeping as I type this and her breathing is just like it was last week..

Question: Is the 3x per “day” count as a 24 hour period?

Because in that case she should only have 201mg of Benadryl in 24 hours.. if I started at noon today then we are gonna need to shorten the dose and spread them out.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Harley is our baby. She sleeps at the foot of our bed every night. We will definitely monitor her sleep/breathing tonight.. she is actually sleeping as I type this and her breathing is just like it was last week..

Because in that case she should only have 201mg of Benadryl in 24 hours.. if I started at noon today then we are gonna need to shorten the dose and spread them out.

As per [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] mentioned 3x per day. I know there's a chart in here somewhere she posted once. Hang on she'll read this message and im sure she'll find it for you. Some will give use Zyrtec or Claritin which would be one pill a day. So dont mix till you started a new day.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Okay.. thank you everyone for your help!

She is starting to not scare us so much..

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

The absolute maximum of Benadyrl per dose as listed in a veterinary manual I have, would be 120mg per dose for your dog up to 3 times a day, which is 360mg per day. The usual dose would be 1 mg/pound up to 3 times a day, which would be 75mg up to 3 times a day for your dog.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay.. thank you everyone for your help!

She is starting to not scare us so much..

How is she this morning?

The absolute maximum of Benadyrl per dose as listed in a veterinary manual I have, would be 120mg per dose for your dog up to 3 times a day, which is 360mg per day. The usual dose would be 1 mg/pound up to 3 times a day, which would be 75mg up to 3 times a day for your dog.

:up:

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Sorry yall!

I got Home on Monday evening from work and she had scratched her face hard enough to cut her self in the fold under her eye, Her limp was back, and she had diarrhea containing blood.

I took her to the vet.

The vet said that she probably got into something causing the allergic reaction. I got some medicated wipes to help clean the cut in her face. And proceeding with the Benadryl.

The limp is arthritis in her knee. She got a prednisone shot and we started prednisone pills to help with a lot of the issues she is having.

The vet seems to think that the blood in her stool is just stress from being sick and uncomfortable along with the new puppy picking on her. So we got a stool sample and went ahead and treating her with an antibiotic for her intestines..

Most Reactions