cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
okay, Tate's dozed off (again), right here next to me, so i thought i'd take this opportunity to ask more questions!!

how much do puppies sleep during the daytime anyways? seems like he's taking an awful lot of naps...is this normal?

also, he's been gagging since he woke up this a.m...no vomiting, but heaving and then nothing, or sometimes he'll spit out phlegm.
it's lessened since around 8am but still he'll gag on occasion. this wasn't happening yesterday...

he's eating well but not really drinking his water which is also concerning. i have one of those water bottles that you hang on the crate (he used a similar kind at the breeder's), and i have a dish of water for him too, but he doesn't go to either one of those.

i know he's going thru an adjustment period right now. i just want him to be happy and healthy.
btw, will be taking him to the vet tomorrow a.m. for a general check up too.
thanks guys, for all your support!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The gagging is of concern. The sleeping? 18 to 20 hours a day. Definitely take him for his wellness check as soon as possible.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

The sleeping wouldn't be too much of a concern to me. He's a baby and he's also been through a lot of stress in the last 24 hours. The gagging ... I'm not sure. Keep an eye on him, and thankfully you already have the appointment with the vet tomorrow so you can mention it. Is he playing?? If so, try and maybe get him to play with an ice-cube. Even when he just plays with it you will get some fluids into him. Also, how are his poops??

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

The sleeping wouldn't be too much of a concern to me. He's a baby and he's also been through a lot of stress in the last 24 hours. The gagging ... I'm not sure. Keep an eye on him, and thankfully you already have the appointment with the vet tomorrow so you can mention it. Is he playing?? If so, try and maybe get him to play with an ice-cube. Even when he just plays with it you will get some fluids into him. Also, how are his poops??

Yep, he has been thru a lot; he also got his 2nd set of shots this past Friday and was microchipped. Oh, and he popped a cherry eye while at the vets on friday and the breeder had it taken care of then and there. She said it was caused from stress; i'm giving him eye drops for his left eye.

I am definitely monitoring him...he's such a precious little thing and i really do love him like my baby.
His stools look "normal" to me--well formed, not runny, and not too hard either, color looks normal. i saved a sample to take to the vets tomorrow. Thanku for the ice cube tip, i had not thought of that. He's sleeping again but when he wakes up i'll see how he responds to his water. He has been playing but he's not very rambunctious yet...he's still checking out his surroundings and loves to chew on everything!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The gagging concerns me...is there any way to bump up that check up at the vets?

We'll be at the vets at 8:30am, tomorrow morning. So far, he hasn't been gagging for a couple hrs, thank goodness, and i'll keep watching him. He's sleeping soundly right now but needs to get up soon for his lunch.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@%1;Was popping in to see if there were any updates...I'll check back later. Popped a cherry eye...due to stress? Hugh...never heard of that one before.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey guys,

went to the vet this a.m. and overall, Tate had a positive experience. He hasn't been gagging anymore :pray:, and the dr. thinks it was d/t "upset stomach". Tater tot weighs 14lbs! The vet said he looked fine, sounded healthy, we talked about the potential for skin problems, how it's important to clean his wrinkles every other day, at the very least, and to keep his weight on the lower end of the scale (ie, not get too fat!), as he grows up to alleviate any future ligament and respiratory problems. He'll be coming back next wk for more shots but i'm just glad he's doing well right now.

[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION], that's what the breeder explained to me on saturday. i forgot to ask the vet today though what the common causes for popping a cherry eye is.

Most Reactions