english bulldog pup snapped at toddler?

RyanCaleb

Oct 30, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello,

We have had josie for almost 2 months now and she has settles in fairly well. She is almost 7 months old now. Last night she was laying on the couch and my two year old was up there. I'm not sure if my 2 year old stepped on her or what but she growled and let out a noise and snapped at her. I had never seen her do that before! I lightly smacked at her snout and she ran over and laid on the fireplace. My 2 year old went over and apologized and laid with her and she acted fine then. Do I need to worry about agression or my kids? Anyone to head this off just in case?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:

animated infographics

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello,

We have had josie for almost 2 months now and she has settles in fairly well. She is almost 7 months old now. Last night she was laying on the couch and my two year old was up there. I'm not sure if my 2 year old stepped on her or what but she growled and let out a noise and snapped at her. I had never seen her do that before! I lightly smacked at her snout and she ran over and laid on the fireplace. My 2 year old went over and apologized and laid with her and she acted fine then. Do I need to worry about agression or my kids? Anyone to head this off just in case?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:

animated infographics

If Josie let a noise out means your little toddler most of hurt Josie probably by accident. Be very careful not to "lightly tap"on the snout on that kind of breed. Next time just grab the jowls and a firm NO. Make sure your little toddler KNOWS to be careful around Josie. I wouldn't worry about aggression if josie yelped. Either way "both" toddler n Josie needs to learn n parents never leave any child especially a toddler unattended with a dog. (which wasn't in your case but.....) In my book, a dog is a dog...It's an animal, you never know.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Toddler probably hurt Josie and Josie let toddler know it. Accidently stepping on a dog usually gets a yelp and a snap. A growl is always a warning. Evidently the 2 yr old ignored that warning. Josie certainly could have bitten the little one, but did not. If toddler continues to hurt Josie that will likely change. It's up to you to make sure that it doesn't repeat. Toddlers can be very hard headed when it comes to treating pets with care/respect. Many years ago my 3 yr old son learned the hard way and has a little scar over his eye as a reminder.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome!

agree with the gang... she gave warning which is good, you have to teach your toddler to respect Josie space and vise versa... as mentioned 'nothing in life is free' is a great and easy tool to help set the bondries

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.