2 years of owning an OEB and I can say we're not doing these dogs justice...

matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
Sup family? It's been a while since I've posted. Thought I'd pop in and talk as brief as possible about what I've personally learned within the almost 2 years of raising an Olde English Bulldogge.

The first thing that comes to mind is that I thought my dog would be a slouch for a lack of a better word LOL, I imagined him sitting on the couch, being a lap dog or just lazy altogether. What I've ended up with is the opposite of what a lot of people have experienced. I realized that in reference to the OEB this dog is truly "what you make it"... I decided to raise my OEB how I've raised the German shepherds and Rottweilers I owned, I wanted the dog to be able to fit in with the ups and downs of the family. We have times where we are very active throughout the day, and other times where we sit down and watch TV or play board games. He adapts well in almost all scenarios! Being able to play with the big boys 9 and 10, but also being able to come, sit and stay for 10-15 mins when they command him to do so. He sits and hold while waiting on food, he goes for 2-3 mile walks easy, I'm sure he could go further and do so comfortably, however I haven't pushed him further than 3 miles. His protection is beyond most of what I've heard in terms of the breed, he is very familiar to what Mr. Greg Hermes dog's were like, without being biased I'd say he could easily participate in schutzhund and other parts of ipo. He will tolerate strangers while family is around, but will not let anyone touch or grab any member of the family in an aggressive way... in the event of aggression towards a family member he is adamant about protecting his people. He has been tested in that area and has proven himself loyal, he has bitten a hidden sleeve multiple times, and displayed his will and capability to protect his family.

Overall he is a wonderful dog, in now way a fur baby, but a real working dog which is why these dogs were bred in the first place. He lights up at the sight of a leash! You can see the drive and determination to please in his eyes! The old dogmen who live in my area have owned Bulldogs in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s among other breeds and they all rave that "that's a real bulldog!" I don't want to take anything away from the general bulldog owners, however I do want to highlight the fact that most bulldogs being bred today are poorly built, have almost infinite health issues, can't free breed or welp, don't have the desire to protect home and or family members and aren't capable of doing much outside of looking good. Learning the history of these dogs, having the opportunity to talk to some pioneers in this game I've grown to feel that we do this dog a disservice. I wouldn't want anything outside of a Working OEB!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
That was great to read :) I think in the most part, I have one of those exceptional Bulldogs as well :-) very active, usually able to lay around if I want to, ready to rock ‘n’ roll whenever the occasion arises. I do think there are some that are just born to be quieter, but not my Hank.. That was a fun read, and so glad it turned out just as you made it to be :-)

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
As a first time Bulldog owner I was expecting the same but have the total opposite (thankfully)
Bella is very active and so darn funny! But can also lay around when I do! Loves to snuggle when she is tired!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm not super active myself, that's one of the reasons I like English and French bulldogs LOL I think Olde English Bulldogs are too active for me. When I was younger I had a border collie mix and that dog would run circles around other dogs. I could pick up a frisbee, dog would sit at my feet, and when I threw it she would run and catch it before it landed. I lived in a quiet townhouse complex and she would run with the frisbee up and down the roads till her paws were raw, if I let her, which I didn't. I had to eventually rehome her to my neighbour since I wasn't home much and my neighbour was home full time, and my neighbour got her all fat with hot dogs and other bad food, but she still lived till about 14 !!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.