Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Hi I'm very new to this as I only bought my bulldog 3 days ago! He's 11 weeks old & he's been fed on royal canin.. (which I've heard bad things about) but I'm just keeping him on what the breeder had him on.. but I've noticed he had a rash/red bumps on his neck which don't seem to bother him & the vet said it's a kind of dermatitis and gave me some wipes.. but now I'm noticing he's chewing his foot and scratching his ear & waking up with a runny nose and eyes! So I'm leaning more towards it's an allergic reaction to something.. but I don't know what? I'm guessing the food.. but the the breeder said he was fine on it before.. but as he's new to my house I'm wondering if it's something here.. I can't ween him off the food yet as he's still settling in too.. my poor baby! Any help or advice would really help! Thank you guys! X

Attachments

• IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 174

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
What kind of RC is he eating? The Bulldog Puppy formula' Primary ingredients are Chicken, Rice and Wheat. Chicken is not well-tolerated by some Bulldogs and wheat is bad for all Bulldogs, IMO. Avoid Wheat Corn and Soy in any dog food. I wouldn't worry too much about a "slow transition" to another food(better food) if your puppy is already having issues...just go for it. And if his stool is a little loose for a few days, don't worry. It will firm up soon enough.
What kind of food bowls is your little nugget eating/drinking from? Plastic bowls are easily scratched and can harbor bacteria causing sores around the face and neck. Stick with glazed ceramic or even better, Stainless Steel.

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Hi thank you for your reply, yes it's the puppy food, I've bought him a new grain and wheat free mix now called wainwrights. Gunna start mixing it. Yeah he also has stainless steal bowls , but we're not sure if he already had the spots on his neck from the breeder.. but when he drinks it all runs down his neck so I'm having to dry his neck after he drinks, so I'm also wondering if it is from water sitting in his fur.. thank you for your help! Really appreciated x

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
but when he drinks it all runs down his neck so I'm having to dry his neck after he drinks, so I'm also wondering if it is from water sitting in his fur.
Good job...dry Bulldog fur is happy Bulldog fur.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi thank you for your reply, yes it's the puppy food, I've bought him a new grain and wheat free mix now called wainwrights. Gunna start mixing it. Yeah he also has stainless steal bowls , but we're not sure if he already had the spots on his neck from the breeder.. but when he drinks it all runs down his neck so I'm having to dry his neck after he drinks, so I'm also wondering if it is from water sitting in his fur.. thank you for your help! Really appreciated x

Welcome!! Chip has you covered.. Wainwright is a good food to move to... keep us posted and let's see more pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

My dogs are like cows when they drink. I dry them up each time or I'll end up stepping in it and then I'll be :bitching:
Good job on the change of food!!!!! RC is great for cows.

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Haha! Thank you everyone! Yeah he's such a messy drinker :p the vet gave me some wipes called clx wipes for his raspy neck, don't know how good they are yet but they've not irritated him which I'm glad about. But drying him after every drink seems to be helping too :) he's just going through his piranha stage at the mo! Biting everything in site! IMG_0297.JPG

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Haha! Thank you everyone! Yeah he's such a messy drinker :p the vet gave me some wipes called clx wipes for his raspy neck, don't know how good they are yet but they've not irritated him which I'm glad about. But drying him after every drink seems to be helping too :) he's just going through his piranha stage at the mo! Biting everything in site! View attachment 109130

Reggie sure is a cutie!!
I remember those days when Bella would bite ..... omg.... we called her the little shark! We thought it would never end.... it eventually did thank goodness I am thinking when she was between 3-4 months old. Hang in there!!
Oh, and more pictures please!!
:):):)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He IS cute...and those beautiful puppy eyes!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Beautiful puppy ! Try getting him some Nylabone keys to bite on https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nylabone-Puppy-Teething-Keys-Large/dp/B0010P32E0 . Reggie should be better in a few days and keep getting better from the diet. Pure looks like another good dog food to me you can get in uk if you want to rotate. https://purepetfood.co.uk/shop-by-product/dehydrated-recipes/duck-delight

Wouldn't hurt to give him a small amount of raw coconut oil/ground turmeric/freshly ground pepper made into a paste and added to his food if he isn't getting a lot better. You may also want to try a medicated shampoo- hard to get in UK without Rx eg. Dermopt?

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Awh thank you that's brilliant advice! I'll deffo try some of those if he doesn't improve! I've heard so many good things about coconut oil and bulldogs and how many ways it can help them! And thank you all for such kind words! :grouphug: also sorry for being such a newbie but could him teething also cause watery eyes? Or is it more than likely his food also? Thank you! X

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Unrelated

I can't remember where, but I did read an article that said young puppies could produce more tears when teething. I have no no idea if that holds any truth or not.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awh thank you that's brilliant advice! I'll deffo try some of those if he doesn't improve! I've heard so many good things about coconut oil and bulldogs and how many ways it can help them! And thank you all for such kind words! :grouphug: also sorry for being such a newbie but could him teething also cause watery eyes? Or is it more than likely his food also? Thank you! X

yes, it can cause the eyes to water/tear... Lambeau and Banks both were a teary mess while they were teething

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Ahh well I hope it's just that :) I'll see how he does later on when he's abit older :) thank
You :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online