Any idea what the might be from?

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
These red spots keep coming back. Nacho is constantly scratching his chest/ stomach area and now it's red and a little swollen. Any ideas what might be causing this? They come and go. I give him benadryl last time which helped temporarily. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
0e41c58a03edc5e1a730fdc93f0d9ce1.jpg
2fdb9c5eefa7e4dc1a25f6119ec6a7c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Probably an allergy, so the benadryl 1 mg/pound 2-3 times daily is good. If it's a long term requirement you might want to switch to a non sedating antihistamine like cetirizine (Zyrtec,Reactine) 0.5 mg/pound once daily. But you should try to avoid sources of allergy, ie. wipe off dog with wet wipe or wet washcloth when he comes from outside. Also, what food are you feeding? Just in case it's a low level staph infection you should try to build dog's immunity by giving a grain free dog food, add coconut oil and turmeric and ground pepper to food, and give a good doggie probiotic for about 3 out of 4 weeks such as herbsmith microflora plus, or get kefir or sauerkraut from fridge of health food store or green tripe. Also, if it doesn't get better with the benadryl wash Nacho with a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly till it goes away, eg. with ketohex or curaseb shampoo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Probably an allergy, so the benadryl 1 mg/pound 2-3 times daily is good. If it's a long term requirement you might want to switch to a non sedating antihistamine like cetirizine (Zyrtec,Reactine) 0.5 mg/pound once daily. But you should try to avoid sources of allergy, ie. wipe off dog with wet wipe or wet washcloth when he comes from outside. Also, what food are you feeding? Just in case it's a low level staph infection you should try to build dog's immunity by giving a grain free dog food, add coconut oil and turmeric and ground pepper to food, and give a good doggie probiotic for about 3 out of 4 weeks such as herbsmith microflora plus, or get kefir or sauerkraut from fridge of health food store or green tripe. Also, if it doesn't get better with the benadryl wash Nacho with a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly till it goes away, eg. with ketohex or curaseb shampoo.

Agreed!!! My girl for 9 years, we had to wipe her paws and belly or they would look like this after being outside

OP
nachothebulldog

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho

I feed him Merrick's puppy receipt. Sometimes I do add coconut oil. I need to try the shampoo.

Thank you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with others, it looks like a allergic reaction of some sort. Looks like a contact dermatitis or eczema kind of rash.
Pit can be caused by a food or environment allergy. Have you used any new products, like new shampoo, laundry soap, cleaners?, any new foods or treats? I hope you figure out and it clears up.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
contact dermatitis...the guys, er...gals, have you straight

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Not sure what's in your Merrick puppy food, but if it's got grains or chicken, you might want to try another food that's grain free and not chicken just in case.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.