Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
    Likes (Received)

Default Temper Tantrums

Hey everyone!

Just another update on our Mugsy.

I could've bet money that he would have a naughty streak where he'd have accidents in random parts of the house (as he has had in the past...) but since losing his companion, Baby, he's been great! Not one accident and shows very little signs of mourning.............

.............until late at night...

My wife laughs it off and says that Mugsy is training us for the lack of sleep we'll be getting once our son is born. Since having to say good-bye to Baby, we brought his (new) bed upstairs into the master bedroom for him to sleep with us. Everynight, we tuck him in, and go to sleep. Everynight around 2am, he starts having tantrums....growling, rolling over, barking (not exactly crying nor barking....) it's some sort of vocalizing he never does during the day or anything. It's like a loud obnoxious child kicking and screaming on the floor. My wife says he just wants me to put his blanket back on him. Which I do, since his bed is right next to my side of the bed. Once I cover him up, he's snoring within seconds. Until 4am....when the same cycle restarts. I get up at 6am for work everyday, so by the 3rd time he wakes up, I'm already up and getting him ready for his morning walk.

I was wondering if it's just a comfort/spoiled rotten bulldog thing, or if it's some sort of anxiety where he doesn't feel secure when he doesn't have a blanket on.

Anyone else have a bully like this? What have you done to correct this behavior?

I was thinking of maybe buying or fabricating some sort of doggy cave/bed thing for him.

-dsc_0094-1-jpg

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Temper Tantrums

Ha ha! Your wife may be right about learning to wake up during the night! Maybe you could get Mugsy a Thundershirt, and put it on him at Bedtime. OR to save $, try to make something similar, that would stay on all night. The thundershirts are snug, so that it makes them feel secure. Could be a solution....? I love seeing Mug! @Mugmug
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mugmug View Post
    Once I cover him up, he's snoring within seconds. Until 4am....when the same cycle restarts.
    From Mugsy's perspective, you shouldn't be the least bit concerned, everything is going as planned.

I was thinking of maybe buying or fabricating some sort of doggy cave/bed thing for him.
    I think a Walnut Cali-King Sleigh Bed would make him happier.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

5. Likes Manydogs, NicosMom liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Is he dreaming or awake during there episodes?

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    From Mugsy's perspective, you shouldn't be the least bit concerned, everything is going as planned.

I think a Walnut Cali-King Sleigh Bed would make him happier.
    HAHA! Oh yeah, we only allow him on the bed on weekends for morning snuggles. But he chooses his bed over our tempurpedic most of the time. He's just a spoiled brat

8. Likes oscarmayer liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Is he dreaming or awake during there episodes?

He's most definitely awake....he uncovers himself to go get a quick drink of water...then lays down and has his tantrum until someone covers him up.

10. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He is so freakin adorable!

I would try the thrundershirt see if it helps... as Lynn suggested. Did he and baby sleep together? If yes, is there something of hers that still has her scent... place it with him, might help.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

He's most definitely awake....he uncovers himself to go get a quick drink of water...then lays down and has his tantrum until someone covers him up.
    Duke did the same. Was getting up every 2hrs (he was 4 months old back then) and I couldn't take it working all day n all. Put him in my bed for 2 months. Then got fed up of his snoring n breathing in my face, doing the catwalk up n down the bed....like whoooa!. He did get potty trained though. So I put him back in his kennel n did exactly like yours. I put a doggy bed same length as his kennel, covered all 3 sides of the cage with blankets to the floor. For the door it's covered only at night 3/4. I dont cover him completely as imo not good for a "doggy brain" he can see if he lays his head down. I swear he does his nights n gets up around 6ish. Day time when I have to go out, I dont cover the door.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    He is so freakin adorable!

I would try the thrundershirt see if it helps... as Lynn suggested. Did he and baby sleep together? If yes, is there something of hers that still has her scent... place it with him, might help.

Funny you should mention that. We attempted to put a blanket with her scent with him and he actually turned his nose to it..got up and laid on the carpet. Didn't get back in the bed until we removed the blanket...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Funny you should mention that. We attempted to put a blanket with her scent with him and he actually turned his nose to it..got up and laid on the carpet. Didn't get back in the bed until we removed the blanket...
    Wow! That is interesting... was Baby or Mug 'alpha' between them? Did Mug get to say goodbye when she past?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Wow! That is interesting... was Baby or Mug 'alpha' between them? Did Mug get to say goodbye when she past?
    There were times when they'd be playing and he'd try to lean on her and dominate....but she'd flip him over..so yeah, she was the Alpha haha. As for saying goodbye....I'm not entirely sure about that. It was strange because whenever they were together they were snuggle buddies and always together. But when she stopped eating and drinking and getting up, he wouldn't lay with her anymore, and he'd basically keep away from her. He was depressed for a little bit after we took her, but he's back to being the same spoiled prince he always was before we inherited Baby.

He's a strange creature.

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads