Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
Hey everyone!

Just another update on our Mugsy.

I could've bet money that he would have a naughty streak where he'd have accidents in random parts of the house (as he has had in the past...) but since losing his companion, Baby, he's been great! Not one accident and shows very little signs of mourning.............

.............until late at night...

My wife laughs it off and says that Mugsy is training us for the lack of sleep we'll be getting once our son is born. Since having to say good-bye to Baby, we brought his (new) bed upstairs into the master bedroom for him to sleep with us. Everynight, we tuck him in, and go to sleep. Everynight around 2am, he starts having tantrums....growling, rolling over, barking (not exactly crying nor barking....) it's some sort of vocalizing he never does during the day or anything. It's like a loud obnoxious child kicking and screaming on the floor. My wife says he just wants me to put his blanket back on him. Which I do, since his bed is right next to my side of the bed. Once I cover him up, he's snoring within seconds. Until 4am....when the same cycle restarts. I get up at 6am for work everyday, so by the 3rd time he wakes up, I'm already up and getting him ready for his morning walk.

I was wondering if it's just a comfort/spoiled rotten bulldog thing, or if it's some sort of anxiety where he doesn't feel secure when he doesn't have a blanket on.

Anyone else have a bully like this? What have you done to correct this behavior?

I was thinking of maybe buying or fabricating some sort of doggy cave/bed thing for him.

DSC_0094 (1).JPG

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ha ha! Your wife may be right about learning to wake up during the night! Maybe you could get Mugsy a Thundershirt, and put it on him at Bedtime. OR to save $, try to make something similar, that would stay on all night. The thundershirts are snug, so that it makes them feel secure. Could be a solution....? I love seeing Mug! [MENTION=2709]Mugmug[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Once I cover him up, he's snoring within seconds. Until 4am....when the same cycle restarts.
From Mugsy's perspective, you shouldn't be the least bit concerned, everything is going as planned.

I was thinking of maybe buying or fabricating some sort of doggy cave/bed thing for him.
I think a Walnut Cali-King Sleigh Bed would make him happier. :D

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Is he dreaming or awake during there episodes?

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
From Mugsy's perspective, you shouldn't be the least bit concerned, everything is going as planned.

I think a Walnut Cali-King Sleigh Bed would make him happier. :D

HAHA! Oh yeah, we only allow him on the bed on weekends for morning snuggles. But he chooses his bed over our tempurpedic most of the time. He's just a spoiled brat

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is he dreaming or awake during there episodes?

He's most definitely awake....he uncovers himself to go get a quick drink of water...then lays down and has his tantrum until someone covers him up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is so freakin adorable!

I would try the thrundershirt see if it helps... as Lynn suggested. Did he and baby sleep together? If yes, is there something of hers that still has her scent... place it with him, might help.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He's most definitely awake....he uncovers himself to go get a quick drink of water...then lays down and has his tantrum until someone covers him up.

Duke did the same. Was getting up every 2hrs (he was 4 months old back then) and I couldn't take it working all day n all. Put him in my bed for 2 months. Then got fed up of his snoring n breathing in my face, doing the catwalk up n down the bed....like whoooa!. He did get potty trained though. So I put him back in his kennel n did exactly like yours. I put a doggy bed same length as his kennel, covered all 3 sides of the cage with blankets to the floor. For the door it's covered only at night 3/4. I dont cover him completely as imo not good for a "doggy brain" he can see if he lays his head down. I swear he does his nights n gets up around 6ish. Day time when I have to go out, I dont cover the door.

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is so freakin adorable!

I would try the thrundershirt see if it helps... as Lynn suggested. Did he and baby sleep together? If yes, is there something of hers that still has her scent... place it with him, might help.

Funny you should mention that. We attempted to put a blanket with her scent with him and he actually turned his nose to it..got up and laid on the carpet. Didn't get back in the bed until we removed the blanket...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Funny you should mention that. We attempted to put a blanket with her scent with him and he actually turned his nose to it..got up and laid on the carpet. Didn't get back in the bed until we removed the blanket...

Wow! That is interesting... was Baby or Mug 'alpha' between them? Did Mug get to say goodbye when she past?

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow! That is interesting... was Baby or Mug 'alpha' between them? Did Mug get to say goodbye when she past?

There were times when they'd be playing and he'd try to lean on her and dominate....but she'd flip him over..so yeah, she was the Alpha haha. As for saying goodbye....I'm not entirely sure about that. It was strange because whenever they were together they were snuggle buddies and always together. But when she stopped eating and drinking and getting up, he wouldn't lay with her anymore, and he'd basically keep away from her. He was depressed for a little bit after we took her, but he's back to being the same spoiled prince he always was before we inherited Baby.

He's a strange creature.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.