Adopting another Bully, some advice please.

Deanna P

Aug 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mama Mia
Hello everyone,
I haven't posted here since we got Mama Mia, she's now 8 months old and getting big.
We had our share of allergy issues and of course I came here to read all your comments.
I make all of Mia's food, we had been giving her dry food along with the fresh
but it seemed to make her breakout. Now that she's on solely fresh made food her skin
has cleared up, no more little bumps and scabs.

Now here's my dilemma...
We have a neighbor who lives a few blocks away and he has a Bully who's 1.5 yrs old.
Last year his Bully got lost and was brought to our house because they thought it was
our son's bulldog who was living with us but was moving out soon. We reconnected him with his owner.
We could not live without a Bully in the house when our son moved out, so we bought Mia from the same breeder.

So two days ago this same neighbor comes to our house
to ask us if we would be interested in adopting their Bully, Pablo.
It was a real surprise to us, we had not thought about taking on another dog so soon.
I feel like things happen for a reason so we agreed with some conditions.
He needs to be caught up with all his shots and he will be neutered before coming to my house.
Pablo is very friendly calm Bully so I don't think Mia will have any issues with him.

My question is how do I go about feeding them?
Should I separate them or feed them together?
I worry that once one of them is done the other dog
will move in on his food.

What do you suggest?

Attachments

• mia.jpg
    mia.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 154

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
sounds fun and i hope you get lots of answers... and i hope you share lots of pictures.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
You and Pablo are destined to be together. Excellent you found each other.

As for the feedings, several members with 2 EBD's or 2 dogs will chime in to answer this question.

Please post pics.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have 2 dogs and I feed together. I used to have to stand there and make sure the younger one didn’t go after the other bowl when was done but I don’t really have to do that anymore. Some dogs do get food aggressive so sometimes feeding separately is a good idea.

Can Pablo come over for a bit before he moves in to hang out with Mia for a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i have two females and i feed separately. they are on a different awake schedule and my older rescue is bossy and hungry all the time. now fox knows to wait in the kitchen while lola eats under the dining room table (don't ask, we've got a den-lover).

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have five dogs in the house. They all have their spot in the kitchen. The two rescues learned quickly the spot that was "assigned" to them. I usually stand in the kitchen and wait until they are done(about 45 seconds :w00t:) so I can pick up the dishes and wash. They are all always hungry,but none are food aggressive. You will have to determine if either one is food aggressive.If they are not, If it works out, I think it is good to have them eat at the same time,in the same room if possible-so they do not become food aggressive.Just my opinion. I have always done that, and I have never had a food aggressive dog [MENTION=17487]Deanna P[/MENTION]

OP
D

Deanna P

Aug 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mama Mia
sounds fun and i hope you get lots of answers... and i hope you share lots of pictures.

Thanks Hankster I'll try to get some pics of them together.

OP
D

Deanna P

Aug 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mama Mia
You and Pablo are destined to be together. Excellent you found each other.

As for the feedings, several members with 2 EBD's or 2 dogs will chime in to answer this question.

Please post pics.

Thanks Harveyspector, for some reason this dog belongs here....

OP
D

Deanna P

Aug 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mama Mia
I have 2 dogs and I feed together. I used to have to stand there and make sure the younger one didn’t go after the other bowl when was done but I don’t really have to do that anymore. Some dogs do get food aggressive so sometimes feeding separately is a good idea.

Can Pablo come over for a bit before he moves in to hang out with Mia for a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Cbrugs, we tried letting the dogs meet yesterday but since Pablo was humping my leg
we decided to keep him leashed while they met. They got along fine and I think Mia
would have loved to run the yard with him but I wasn't going to let her get assaulted.
Pablo will get fixed before coming to live here, hopefully this weekend.

OP
D

Deanna P

Aug 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mama Mia
I have five dogs in the house. They all have their spot in the kitchen. The two rescues learned quickly the spot that was "assigned" to them. I usually stand in the kitchen and wait until they are done(about 45 seconds :w00t:) so I can pick up the dishes and wash. They are all always hungry,but none are food aggressive. You will have to determine if either one is food aggressive.If they are not, If it works out, I think it is good to have them eat at the same time,in the same room if possible-so they do not become food aggressive.Just my opinion. I have always done that, and I have never had a food aggressive dog [MENTION=17487]Deanna P[/MENTION]

Thanks Manydogs, that is a houseful!
I'm going to be nervous for a while not knowing how this will work.
Our previous Bully was very food aggressive and that was no fun.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I have 5 dogs here , 2 are fed always outside just due to space issues at feeding time and that is winter or summer rain or shine. They both respect each other and leave each other alone till finished as do all my dogs .
3 dogs are fed inside with good separation is all and again respect each other until there finished there meals .
I in no uncertain terms make sure they do not steal food from each other and cause a fight , if I do run into one dog that will push it there fed in a different room with either a door on it or blocked off area , this is rare tho .
I stick too the same spots of feeding them always and before they get there bowls they must sit and make eye contact with Me always .

anns4boys

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie Sinatra, Fiona Blu and French Bulldogs Tallulah and Muson and Maltipoo DiMaggio
I have 4 dogs & the littlest one, the female is very good aggressive. We feed them all at the same time & each dog has their spot. Frankie, Is a 1 1/2 year old Bulldog & our newest addition. We’ve had him just over 3 weeks. Right now he gets feed in a separate room, at the same time. He eats very quickly & with my little T guarding her food I don’t want problems. I give all the dogs sufficient time to eat & then I remove all the bowls even if they are not done. I have learned the hard way that if a bowl with food is left out, it is not a good thing. It works for us & the dogs, they all know when dinnertime is & when it’s over. Good luck!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel and Bentley are fed at the same time. As with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] , Jewel and Bentley each have their spot in the kitchen to eat. Jewel is fed one food...Bentley another. If Jewel leaves some food in her bowl, Bentley will help himself unless we pick up the bowls after they eat and vice-versa.

OP
D

Deanna P

Aug 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mama Mia
I have 5 dogs here , 2 are fed always outside just due to space issues at feeding time and that is winter or summer rain or shine. They both respect each other and leave each other alone till finished as do all my dogs .
3 dogs are fed inside with good separation is all and again respect each other until there finished there meals .
I in no uncertain terms make sure they do not steal food from each other and cause a fight , if I do run into one dog that will push it there fed in a different room with either a door on it or blocked off area , this is rare tho .
I stick too the same spots of feeding them always and before they get there bowls they must sit and make eye contact with Me always .

Thanks Natski that's some good advice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have two and feed them one at a time.... Cheli eats first while Lambeau waits his turn. Cheli would eat all food if I did not do this so it works well and they boys know when it is their turn to eat as they do no move to the bowl until called.

With our previous two... we feed them in their crates due to Banks being overly dominate.

Take them on walks together so they pack up and know they are now a family ... it will help them adjust quicker.

Thank you for giving him a new loving home... best of luck

Members online

No members online now.