Puppies Ears are very picked

Rumblebee2475

Oct 20, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy and Bentley
When I picked the puppy up from the breeder they had his ears "glued" now the glue has wore off after a couple days and his ears are standing straight up! Should I be concerned about it at all or is their anything I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_9047.jpg
    IMG_9047.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9051.jpg
    IMG_9051.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 161

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
What an absolutely adorable little pup!

Glueing is used for aesthetic purposes in some breeds for dogs that are to be shown as there are breed standards regarding ear posture. However, as your lovely little pup does not seem to be of one of the colours that are accepted at shows (the American kennel club lists the following colours for Englsih bulldogs: brindle, white, red, fawn, fallow or piebald) I wouldn't consider glueing his ears. Pups go through different phases so the way his ears look now may not be what they will look like then he grows up.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I love those cute ears Let him BE him:yes: They may rose out after awhile. Since ;you are not showing,he will be loved the same. I know either way,you will love him:luv:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie comes from show breeders so even though he is not being shown, they still glued his ears so he “conformed” to the breed standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Absolutely lovely pup, but not pure bred english bulldog, since that colour is not in their genes. So you may also get some other type of ears and gluing doesn't really prevent that. At least there will be proper air flow :)

OP
R

Rumblebee2475

Oct 20, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy and Bentley
Absolutely lovely pup, but not pure bred english bulldog, since that colour is not in their genes. So you may also get some other type of ears and gluing doesn't really prevent that. At least there will be proper air flow :)

He is a purebred. He is considered a rare color! Chocolate Tri colored. DNA is considered atat bb Dd.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry, but that is what these fab colour breeders want you to think. There is no chocolate tri in the genes of an english bulldog.
He is a purebred. He is considered a rare color! Chocolate Tri colored. DNA is considered atat bb Dd.

OP
R

Rumblebee2475

Oct 20, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy and Bentley
I'm sorry, but that is what these fab colour breeders want you to think. There is no chocolate tri in the genes of an english bulldog.

So are you saying he is not a purebred? How did I receive AKC papers then?

OP
R

Rumblebee2475

Oct 20, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy and Bentley
What colour is he registered as?

I haven't registered him yet. But if you're claiming he is not even a purebred how did I receive AKC paper registration forms when I picked him up??

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Well it does look like AKC is taking a very different road from the nation that the breed comes from. I find it disturbing. I don't find the dogs themselves disturbing, but I think the breeders of these colours are greeders and they don't have the breeds best interest at heart. Enjoy your pup and don't mind my opinions.

OP
R

Rumblebee2475

Oct 20, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy and Bentley

So what color should I register him as? It even says "Proving the point that rare color Bulldogs are in fact, eligible for show. The expection is Chocolate, due to the disqualification of the brown nose." In the litter he came from there were 8 puppies they were Lilac and Tan, Chocolate and Tan Bridle, Blue Tri, Blue Tri Brindle, Solid Blue and Tan, Solid Chocolate and Tan, Blue and Tan, and finally the Chocolate Tri.

Maybe I should not have went with the chocolate guy but I don't care because he is so darn cute!

I do believe he is pure bread though someone was trying to say he wasn't even purebred!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
He IS absolutely gorgeous and i dont know anything about showing but hopefully, like you said, you picked out the pup you wanted! Not every pup, even bread from both akc show quality parents, are going 'show quality' and unless that was the specific reason for purchasing, then it might matter, but other wize, pay no mind to anything else... He IS bulldog! :) and a perfect one at that :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hate to burst anyone's bubble but today's English Bulldog sure weren't like they were 100yrs ago. Men played with mother nature and gave today's EB all these health issues they have. This is not just the EB but a lot of other breeds. So yes you'll see EB with ears like this cutie in this thread, different colours, sizes etc. You take a Frenchie, glue their ears as babies you'll get a mini english. So yes its a breed that's still being toyed around with. But like said so are the other breeds. What gets to me is all these clubs that really supported these changes today n even back then. It's all about money n greed. What counts is....love your furballs!! Cute, ugly, odd colours, mutts..whatever the case may be...we picked them for a reason....they are part of the family. Enjoy them!

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.