Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
Hello,

Does your dog have Hip Dysplasia?
Our Roscoe is just over 1 and we believe he has hip dysplasia.. we have not had an xray yet to confirm.. the vet thinks it may be his knee and he was given anti-inflammatory's for 6 days and it has not helped. We have been reading up on hip dyplasia and we think he was born with it. Does anyone have any advice? tips and tricks? Please & Thank you. Our boys mean everything to us and I don't want my Roscoe to be in pain.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If he has dysphasia is bad enough to cause him pain or discomfort at 1 year old then he may certainly be a candidate for FHO surgery. The surgery is quick and so is the recovery. There is no magic pill or magic anything to treat extreme dysplaysia except surgery.
X-rays to confirm.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Has he been X-rayed? Most bulldogs have some grade of hip dysplasia, if compared the best of breeds. Stil it is not the end of the world. X-rayes must be taken before any plans of action for the future can be determined.

OP
Chanelle13

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
No, we haven't had xrays yet. We are going to do that to be sure.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If he has dysphasia is bad enough to cause him pain or discomfort at 1 year old then he may certainly be a candidate for FHO surgery. The surgery is quick and so is the recovery. There is no magic pill or magic anything to treat extreme dysplaysia except surgery.
X-rays to confirm.

For a younger larger size dog like an English bulldog wouldn't a total hip replacement be better than a femoral head ostectomy if you can afford it?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
For a younger larger size dog like an English bulldog wouldn't a total hip replacement be better than a femoral head ostectomy if you can afford it?
I did not mention that because few can afford it. We did a 3 yr old last year that was not a candidate for FHO...the reason escapes me. Had she been a candidate we would have opted for the FHO. Anyway, that 1 hip was $8000.00 with a considerable discount. The surgery went well and she was placed in a new home and is doing great.
I would think that bilateral total hip replacement would run $15-20K US depending on locale. Bulldogs are especially good candidates for FHO because so much of their mass is forward of center. At 2 yrs old, my Zoey had bilateral FHO 5 years ago and is doing great. She's only 44 lbs though. Keeping the patient lean is very important.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I would be very interested to see X-rayes of hips that must have had surgery.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I did not mention that because few can afford it. We did a 3 yr old last year that was not a candidate for FHO...the reason escapes me. Had she been a candidate we would have opted for the FHO. Anyway, that 1 hip was $8000.00 with a considerable discount. The surgery went well and she was placed in a new home and is doing great.
I would think that bilateral total hip replacement would run $15-20K US depending on locale. Bulldogs are especially good candidates for FHO because so much of their mass is forward of center. At 2 yrs old, my Zoey had bilateral FHO 5 years ago and is doing great. She's only 44 lbs though. Keeping the patient lean is very important.

I find that feeding recommended amounts of dehydrated raw ( my Frenchie bulldog is on EasyRaw ) is an easy healthy way to get dog to lose weight.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wouldn't hurt to start your dog on arthritis prevention supplements with glucosamine such as Actiflex-4000 ( the one I use ) or similar.

OP
Chanelle13

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
Yes! I am starting him on glucosamine and probiotics today!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It’s coming back to me now...
In Zoe’s case the ball and socket joint were separated by a small enough amount that when walking the ball on the upper end of the femur was hitting the edge of the socket(pelvis), causing the pain. Removal of the ball releived the pain from bone to bone contact and allowed muscle mass to take over supporting the upper leg.

With Ellie, there was so much separation that there was no support at the joint and she could only walk a few steps before her rear would give up and she’d have to drag herself. In her case FHO wouldn’t work because there was not enough supportive tissue(muscle) to carry the load of a floating femur.

I hope you guy has nothing more than a strain and he can soon resume normal gait.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our banks was diagnosed at 8 months with HD, first vet that saw her said she would not be able to walk by the time she was two. When our main vet came back from vacation and looked at the x-rays, he said.. she will be fine, they are displaced, but not horrible. We put her on supplements and she remained on them for life with other medicine as she aged, but it never stopped her and she lived a great full 9 years of life.

My point.. get a second opinion before doing any surgery and be sure it is a bulldog experienced vet

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Our Banks was diagnosed at 8 months with HD, first vet that saw her said she would not be able to walk by the time she was two. When our main vet came back from vacation and looked at the x-rays, he said.. she will be fine, they are displaced, but not horrible. We put her on supplements and she remained on them for life with other medicine as she aged, but it never stopped her and she lived a great full 9 years of life.

My point.. get a second opinion before doing any surgery and be sure it is a bulldog experienced vet

Do you stil have the x-rays?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Our banks was diagnosed at 8 months with HP, first vet that saw her said she would not be able to walk by the time she was two. When our main vet came back from vacation and looked at the x-rays, she said.. she will be fine, they are displaced, but not horrible. We put her on supplements and she remained on them for life with other medicine as she aged, but it never stopped her and she lived a great full 9 years of life.

Was Banks the one you used Movoflex on ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online