Bulldog overate and I’m bot sure what to do.

BowserAndScully

Oct 9, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Scully
My boy Scully, he’s a handful and well last night while I was outside with his brother he tipped the container and ate when I came in I was in shock. He finally lived his dream unlimited food. It’s hard to say how much he really ate. If I had to guess I’d say 5 cups worth. So my question is. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I overreacting because I kinda wanna take him to the vet. I’m not home but my fiancé was. SHe said he’s still hungry wants to eat. Is still drinking. He’s moving slowly and is bloated, as would anyone that overate. This happened about 8pm last night. He pooped about an hour after that. And he’s for sure pooped about 1pm today. He’s able to lay normal.

My question is, when should I be concerned it’s been what 16+ hours. I’m worried about Bloat but there’s also That feeling if I take him to vet it’s gonna be 500+ to tell me what we know. Any input is fine. I figured if he wasn’t acting overly different after 12 hours he’s just gonna have to pass it. I’m leaving work now to be with him. My fiancé works nights and I don’t want him to poop his crate. I attached a pic of him so you could see how fat he is.

Attachments

• 60BD9419-8FA1-42BE-897A-9F5B2D8EB09C.jpeg
    60BD9419-8FA1-42BE-897A-9F5B2D8EB09C.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 216

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Don't know too much about it, but from what I read, you only need to worry if gums are bright red or pale or if she tries unsuccessfully to vomit.
Management (pasting from a website):
You need to restrict her exercise closely.
Leash to go out and only a slow walk.
No food for 24 hours.
Offer small amounts of water frequently.
Expect diarrhea.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He’ll be fine. Just give him time to poop it all out. You may find that his stool is a bit soft, maybe even loose. Exercise and water are important but not too much of either. If his belly becomes tender to the touch, get him to the Vet right away.

OP
B

BowserAndScully

Oct 9, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Scully
:ohmy:
He’ll be fine. Just give him time to poop it all out. You may find that his stool is a bit soft, maybe even loose. Exercise and water are important but not too much of either. If his belly becomes tender to the touch, get him to the Vet right away.

So I got home yesterday about 3 hours after my fiancé left to work he did vomit but otherwise was fine glad I left work early cause he really had to poop. I skipped his dinner last night. He already looks less bloated. He looked really huge and booted. He was still wanting to eat what I was eating acting like his normal self. So overall I think he’s fine. Just the whole “bloat”
Thing can be scary.

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Glad he's okay! I bet Nacho can't wait till the day we get distracted and he get his unlimited buffet of food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So I got home yesterday about 3 hours after my fiancé left to work he did vomit but otherwise was fine glad I left work early cause he really had to poop. I skipped his dinner last night. He already looks less bloated. He looked really huge and booted. He was still wanting to eat what I was eating acting like his normal self. So overall I think he’s fine. Just the whole “bloat”
Thing can be scary.

Happy to hear all is good.... he was in a food coma I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Thing can be scary.

Glad to hear he's ok ! Luckily bulldogs are not one of the breeds prone to bloat.

Members online

No members online now.