Breathing ?

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Anytime Herschel has to go to the vet, or anywhere out of the house he becomes overly excited. He had to go to the opthamologist this morning and the wait was long. His tem went up to 104.3 and of course his breathing was crazy. He is still snorting and breathing erratically, or heavy. IDK how to describe it. He's calm but breathing heavily and loud. I'm not sure what to do, or if this is normal. He doesn't normally have an issue breathing and he seems to be getting air but it's loud. Any advice?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like anxiety.... how old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
He's 5. We've been home for a couple hours now, I figured he would be settled down by now as he normally is.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's 5. We've been home for a couple hours now, I figured he would be settled down by now as he normally is.

Wait.. sorry, I misunderstood--- he is like this still after being home?

And was like this the whole time at the vet? Did they check his lungs while there?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Could be nothing, or could be heart attack followed by congestive heart failure. If it continues take him to vet.

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Wait.. sorry, I misunderstood--- he is like this still after being home?

And was like this the whole time at the vet? Did they check his lungs while there?

They did not. He asked if we have had his airway issue addressed. I told him he is only like this when he is away from the house. I do kind of blame them for keeping us waiting for so long as he continued to get louder, especially after comments about his breathing. Anyway, they did nothing. He has settled down and seems to be back to normal but this was a scary situation. I'm going to ask his general vet if there is a sedative we can give him when he has to be taken for his appointments. He has been socialized but has always been very excitable when out and about. He has many eye appointments in the near future.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad that he's ok now. You can try a thundershirt dog anxiety vest or have vet prescribe a diazepam or alprazolam anti-anxiety pill that you give Herschel ahead of time.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes.. try the thundershirt ot get a prescription for him-- that is very scary indeed

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online