Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long story long...complete with questions!

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member asherose's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
    Likes (Received)

Default Long story long...complete with questions!

Hey guys! I've been MIA for a while...work, life...and Sgt! This is going to be a long one...

So, my poor Sergeant had surgery on Thursday. A few months ago, we were out for a walk and his breathing really started to concern us. We essentially carried him home and took him to the vet the next day. The vet suggested it could have just been too hot out (we never walk during the heat of the day...it was about 9pm and it was 18 degrees out...we also only went about 2 blocks which is way less than usual). Anyways, he told us to monitor it if it happened again we'd have to look at some solutions (surgery).

Fast forward to two weeks ago when we were at a friends, and Sgt. was breathing very heavily...then he peed himself (it was a warm day and he insisted on following me everywhere I went...I made sure he stayed hydrated and tried to hang out in the shade)? So, next day, back to the vets and they tell me he should have Stenotic Nares and Elongated Soft Palate resection surgery. We fully trust our vet and decided to do it. We were told that he was currently able to breath at about 20-30% and after the surgery, he'd be closer to 80-90%. The doctor asked if we wanted to do x-rays well he was under for surgery, and we agreed. We just want to make sure there are no other issues (we adopted Sgt. almost 2 years ago and have never done X-rays).

Ok, so the surgery went great. His nostrils are noticeably larger and he seems to be breathing better already. The dr. told us he's never removed such a large flap from the elongated soft palate before, and that it will make a huge difference. So I'm thinking everything is good! Well then he goes over the x-rays with me. Sgt's last vertebrae seems to only be half the size of the other and he was going to send the X-rays to a radiologist. He said there was a good chance it was an infection.

So after typing an entire novel (I'm sorry...) I'm wondering, has anyone ever had any experience with this? I don't know anything about skeletal bones, and vertebraes..I'm too nervous to google it...Also, because of the pain meds he's on for the next couple days, the dr gave us wet food (which stinks so bad) but when I put the pills in it, Sgt avoids them eats around them (which resulted in my Boston terrier eating 2 pain pills yesterdays...which resulted in an emergency vet visit...he's fine...sleeping a lot but fine..) Anyone have any tips on how to get the pills in him? I'm not supposed to give him treats for 5 days, or dry food (which he will eat pills in).

Thanks for reading my book of a post! Hope everyone and their bully are doing great!!

2. Likes 2BullyMama, Jersey, Ranger777 liked this post
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Long story long...complete with questions!

Totally forgot, I should show everyone how handsome Sgt. was in his fresh surgery bandana when I picked him up the other night!
    -20170928_173325-jpg

4. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure why a small vertebra would indicate infection. If your dog won't take pain pills in food, you can crush up and put in an oral syringe and syringe it into side of mouth near back of throat. Bulldogs have a huge pain tolerance so if they miss a pain pill it's not as bad as missing an antibiotic. Both my dogs got spayed and one also had an oral tumour removed without any pain medication postop.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hoping for a speedy recovery, Sergeant!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Well he's gorgeous so thanks for the pic... Nose looks great!!! about the other I do not know but hope someone else can help ya out...

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Put the pills in raw meat. Curious, how long you had this vet?

Wanted to add something.... I ask how long you had your vet cause a spinal infections are extremely rare. I would ask your vet what gives him/her that indication. Infections are usually bacterial and spread to the spine through the bloodstream. I would definitely ask your vet some questions.

10. Likes Jersey liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Handsome boy!!!

Pills-- i hide in watermelon or ice cream and sometimes cheese.

Vertebrae-- not sure why a small vertebrae would indicate infection-- could be deteriorating and he'll need joint supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes helsonwheels, Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Wow so sorry for all of this! Very curious about the evidence of infection. The bone must have been very eroded and porous - an infection like osteomyelitis would leave that kind of trace.
    For the pills - yes to all of these suggestions. If he is restricted to the wet food you have, which mine are as well (they are super allergic to everything), it's messy but I make a ball of wet food around the pill and give it like a treat. I hope the wet food is mushy rather than liquid so that you can try this. Mine also LOVE banana!!!! it works too.
    My whole world

14. Likes Jersey, 2BullyMama liked this post
    My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ashley! So glad to hear Sargent's breathing better and doing well. It's not unusual for Bulldogs, or any dog with a "screw tail" to have abnormal xrays of the spine. I think what your vet is describing is called hemivertebra; a smaller than "normal" bone in the lower spine... pretty common and expected in Bulldogs. A radiologist can tell the difference between a congenitially malformed bone and a bone that is malformed due to infection. As long as Sgt. isn't showing signs of hind leg weakness or pain or incontinence it shouldn't be an issue. As far as getting the meds down... I agree with Helene; feed it with raw meat. Hope this helps! Much love and prayers to you and your pack! Susan

Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for the replies!!! Sgt. had a great weekend and seems to be recovering from surgery with no issues. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor (he's on lunch) about the radiologist results. Re-reading my post, I left out a few of the doctors comments (I swear I was trying to keep it short!) about the x-rays... @2BullyMama @Mama2Bullies @DollysOwner @helsonwheels - The Dr. saw some "shadowing" that looked abnormal...that was what made him think there could be an infection. He did mention it wasn't common hence why he wanted to send it to a radiologist to have a second look. I've been going to this vet for just over a year. I made the switch as this doctor seems to have the most experience with Bulldogs (he has 1 of them along with 2 frenchies and a Boston!!) and seems to know more about their special needs then our previous vet! He's a super thorough doctor and I fully trust him. @Jersey - no signs of hind leg issues so hopefully it will be nothing. I just panic ya know!
    Thanks everyone for the food suggestions!! Sgt. has got about 50% of the pain meds in him but doesn't seem to be in any pain! The banana and watermelon worked great! @Jersey and @helsonwheels - I've never given Sgt. raw meat before. What kind would you give him? Is it going to make him poop himself? This guy has such a sensitive stomach!

Hopefully the dr. calls back soon and I'll update! I took the week off just incase Sgt. wasn't feeling good...I don't trust his brother to leave him alone and let him rest (even though he has been really good since Sgt. came home on Thursday, I obviously don't give him enough credit!). Sgt. is doing really well though, so I'm getting all my fall cleaning done! Bonus!

17. Likes Jersey, 2BullyMama liked this post
    My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hey Ashley! If the banana watermelon combo works I'd stick to that. Prob best not to introduce raw now if Sgt's never had it, especially with a sensitive stomach. Yup... shadowing on an xray is usually bowel gas in that area. That said, that's an excellent call on your vet's part to notice and send it to the radiologist for a second opinion. You're such a good Mom Ashley! Sgt has got to love you being home with him! Give your little guy a big hug and kiss for me and please let us know what the vet says!

19. Likes 2BullyMama, asherose liked this post
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

But which vertebra is affected? Dogs have 8cervical, 13 thoracic, 7 lumbar 3 sacral and 5 caudal vertebrae.

21. Likes Jersey, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads