Long story long...complete with questions!

OP
asherose

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
Hey Ashley! If the banana watermelon combo works I'd stick to that. Prob best not to introduce raw now if Sgt's never had it, especially with a sensitive stomach. Yup... shadowing on an xray is usually bowel gas in that area. That said, that's an excellent call on your vet's part to notice and send it to the radiologist for a second opinion. You're such a good Mom Ashley! Sgt has got to love you being home with him! Give your little guy a big hug and kiss for me and please let us know what the vet says!

Thanks [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION]!!! :heart:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oh boy,,, no kidding when it rains it pours... Many prayers coming your way. And yes, please update as much as possible. I just dislike this stuff intensely :( I'm so glad you can take off work as yould be a wreck if not!! I hope they're good about it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, when it rains it pours! So, here's the most recent update.

Radiologist report came back about the x-rays and showed no infection. He does have Spondylosis...but he told me it's not severe and at this point, so we will just monitor him and make sure he doesn't show signs of discomfort. If it progresses, we will come up with a treatment plan. On a positive note, the radiologist confirmed no signs of arthritis or bone degeneration. Yay!

So, Monday night I'm feeling a lot better about the situation...then Tuesday morning came.
Sgt. was making some funny choking like noises. He had a big drink and it seemed to subside. Then it started again, but it was more like that noise they make before they vomit rather than a choking. He was very lethargic and just didn't seem like himself. I really started to worry when he wouldn't touch his breakfast. This dog NEVER skips a meal! I watched him for about 15 minutes and noticed his back legs were shaking. I called the vet and told him what was happening and he advised I should bring him in right away. Sgt. spent the day at the vet again yesterday. They did more x-rays and monitored him. When I picked him up last night the vet told me he was fairly certain Sgt. has pneumonia. He was waiting on confirmation from the radiologist but didn't want to take any chances, so he sent us home with antibiotics that he had started him on earlier in the day. Full disclosure, they told me that he could spend the night at the vet - but I just couldn't do it and they said that was ok. I'm not sure if that makes me a bad mom, but I wanted him to be able to rest at home. He's always so stressed when he leaves the vet as he is not used to sitting in a crate all day (or being away from me and not being at home). I was up pretty much all night watching him to make sure he was ok (he literally just slept and farted all night...).

This morning, Sgt. ate his breakfast, went to the bathroom and seemed to be more himself - he seemed to be on the mend (or so I thought) then I get a call from the vet asking me to bring Sgt. back in. The radiologist confirmed it was aspiration pneumonia. The vet wanted to get him on an iv for antibiotics asap so he could give him 2 doses today. I'm hopefully going to be able to bring him home tonight. I feel like the vet gave me a bunch more information that has all jumbled together in my mind. I'm super emotional, and I'm not great at processing too much info when I'm in this state. I just feel so bad for him. I keep leaving him at the vet and he doesn't understand why. His brother is also in a state because he doesn't know what is going on. My husband (the one of us that retains information) is away for work so I'm flying solo.

I'll update when I have more info...I've taken the rest of the week off work so I can focus on his recovery.

Sending healing prayers... as hard as it is with pneumonia-- he has to stay at the vet -- it is best.
[MENTION=16788]Ranger777[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Have to agree Ashley, vet's the best place for now.

Put a diffuser on 24/7. Especially when he's sleeping. These are anti inflammatories oils. It will help him breathe way better. Hang in there we're all here for you!!!

6 drops of Eucalyptus
6 drops of Peppermint
6 drops of Lavender
5 drops of Lemon

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Sending healing prayers... as hard as it is with pneumonia-- he has to stay at the vet -- it is best.
[MENTION=16788]Ranger777[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Yes, it is VERY HARD to leave them. But, itā€™s the very best thing you can do for them. Iā€™m not sure about your Vet but when Ranger had aspiration pneumonia and had to stay at the Vetā€™s way longer than Iā€™d liked, they were so kind and allowed us to go up and see him and also sent pics to us at night. Our Vet has full time staff 24/7
Iā€™m not sure you read my post on Rangerā€™s experience but itā€™s so scary and you really have to stay on top of it. We almost lost him so quickly. He got sick literally within an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
So sorry for everything Sgt and you are going through! I hope he heals quick and you two can go back to normal. He sure is a handsome guy!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I sure would like to read a positive update...worried

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, when it rains it pours! So, here's the most recent update.

Radiologist report came back about the x-rays and showed no infection. He does have Spondylosis...but he told me it's not severe and at this point, so we will just monitor him and make sure he doesn't show signs of discomfort. If it progresses, we will come up with a treatment plan. On a positive note, the radiologist confirmed no signs of arthritis or bone degeneration. Yay!

So, Monday night I'm feeling a lot better about the situation...then Tuesday morning came.
Sgt. was making some funny choking like noises. He had a big drink and it seemed to subside. Then it started again, but it was more like that noise they make before they vomit rather than a choking. He was very lethargic and just didn't seem like himself. I really started to worry when he wouldn't touch his breakfast. This dog NEVER skips a meal! I watched him for about 15 minutes and noticed his back legs were shaking. I called the vet and told him what was happening and he advised I should bring him in right away. Sgt. spent the day at the vet again yesterday. They did more x-rays and monitored him. When I picked him up last night the vet told me he was fairly certain Sgt. has pneumonia. He was waiting on confirmation from the radiologist but didn't want to take any chances, so he sent us home with antibiotics that he had started him on earlier in the day. Full disclosure, they told me that he could spend the night at the vet - but I just couldn't do it and they said that was ok. I'm not sure if that makes me a bad mom, but I wanted him to be able to rest at home. He's always so stressed when he leaves the vet as he is not used to sitting in a crate all day (or being away from me and not being at home). I was up pretty much all night watching him to make sure he was ok (he literally just slept and farted all night...).

This morning, Sgt. ate his breakfast, went to the bathroom and seemed to be more himself - he seemed to be on the mend (or so I thought) then I get a call from the vet asking me to bring Sgt. back in. The radiologist confirmed it was aspiration pneumonia. The vet wanted to get him on an iv for antibiotics asap so he could give him 2 doses today. I'm hopefully going to be able to bring him home tonight. I feel like the vet gave me a bunch more information that has all jumbled together in my mind. I'm super emotional, and I'm not great at processing too much info when I'm in this state. I just feel so bad for him. I keep leaving him at the vet and he doesn't understand why. His brother is also in a state because he doesn't know what is going on. My husband (the one of us that retains information) is away for work so I'm flying solo.

I'll update when I have more info...I've taken the rest of the week off work so I can focus on his recovery.

any update on your boy?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
another request for update [MENTION=15894]asherose[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online