Long story long...complete with questions!

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
Hey guys! I've been MIA for a while...work, life...and Sgt! This is going to be a long one...

So, my poor Sergeant had surgery on Thursday. A few months ago, we were out for a walk and his breathing really started to concern us. We essentially carried him home and took him to the vet the next day. The vet suggested it could have just been too hot out (we never walk during the heat of the day...it was about 9pm and it was 18 degrees out...we also only went about 2 blocks which is way less than usual). Anyways, he told us to monitor it if it happened again we'd have to look at some solutions (surgery).

Fast forward to two weeks ago when we were at a friends, and Sgt. was breathing very heavily...then he peed himself (it was a warm day and he insisted on following me everywhere I went...I made sure he stayed hydrated and tried to hang out in the shade)? So, next day, back to the vets and they tell me he should have Stenotic Nares and Elongated Soft Palate resection surgery. :( We fully trust our vet and decided to do it. We were told that he was currently able to breath at about 20-30% and after the surgery, he'd be closer to 80-90%. The doctor asked if we wanted to do x-rays well he was under for surgery, and we agreed. We just want to make sure there are no other issues (we adopted Sgt. almost 2 years ago and have never done X-rays).

Ok, so the surgery went great. His nostrils are noticeably larger and he seems to be breathing better already. The dr. told us he's never removed such a large flap from the elongated soft palate before, and that it will make a huge difference. So I'm thinking everything is good! Well then he goes over the x-rays with me. Sgt's last vertebrae seems to only be half the size of the other and he was going to send the X-rays to a radiologist. He said there was a good chance it was an infection.

So after typing an entire novel (I'm sorry...) I'm wondering, has anyone ever had any experience with this? I don't know anything about skeletal bones, and vertebraes..I'm too nervous to google it...Also, because of the pain meds he's on for the next couple days, the dr gave us wet food (which stinks so bad) but when I put the pills in it, Sgt avoids them eats around them (which resulted in my Boston terrier eating 2 pain pills yesterdays...which resulted in an emergency vet visit...he's fine...sleeping a lot but fine..) Anyone have any tips on how to get the pills in him? I'm not supposed to give him treats for 5 days, or dry food (which he will eat pills in).

Thanks for reading my book of a post! Hope everyone and their bully are doing great!! :)

OP
asherose

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Totally forgot, I should show everyone how handsome Sgt. was in his fresh surgery bandana when I picked him up the other night!
20170928_173325.jpg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm not sure why a small vertebra would indicate infection. If your dog won't take pain pills in food, you can crush up and put in an oral syringe and syringe it into side of mouth near back of throat. Bulldogs have a huge pain tolerance so if they miss a pain pill it's not as bad as missing an antibiotic. Both my dogs got spayed and one also had an oral tumour removed without any pain medication postop.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hoping for a speedy recovery, Sergeant!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well he's gorgeous so thanks for the pic... Nose looks great!!! about the other I do not know but hope someone else can help ya out...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Put the pills in raw meat. Curious, how long you had this vet?

Wanted to add something.... I ask how long you had your vet cause a spinal infections are extremely rare. I would ask your vet what gives him/her that indication. Infections are usually bacterial and spread to the spine through the bloodstream. I would definitely ask your vet some questions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Handsome boy!!!

Pills-- i hide in watermelon or ice cream and sometimes cheese.

Vertebrae-- not sure why a small vertebrae would indicate infection-- could be deteriorating and he'll need joint supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Wow so sorry for all of this! Very curious about the evidence of infection. The bone must have been very eroded and porous - an infection like osteomyelitis would leave that kind of trace.
For the pills - yes to all of these suggestions. If he is restricted to the wet food you have, which mine are as well (they are super allergic to everything), it's messy but I make a ball of wet food around the pill and give it like a treat. I hope the wet food is mushy rather than liquid so that you can try this. Mine also LOVE banana!!!! it works too.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Ashley! So glad to hear Sargent's breathing better and doing well. It's not unusual for Bulldogs, or any dog with a "screw tail" to have abnormal xrays of the spine. I think what your vet is describing is called hemivertebra; a smaller than "normal" bone in the lower spine... pretty common and expected in Bulldogs. A radiologist can tell the difference between a congenitially malformed bone and a bone that is malformed due to infection. As long as Sgt. isn't showing signs of hind leg weakness or pain or incontinence it shouldn't be an issue. As far as getting the meds down... I agree with Helene; feed it with raw meat. Hope this helps! Much love and prayers to you and your pack! Susan

OP
asherose

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! Sgt. had a great weekend and seems to be recovering from surgery with no issues. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor (he's on lunch) about the radiologist results. Re-reading my post, I left out a few of the doctors comments (I swear I was trying to keep it short!) about the x-rays... [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] @Mama2Bullies [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]sOwner [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - The Dr. saw some "shadowing" that looked abnormal...that was what made him think there could be an infection. He did mention it wasn't common hence why he wanted to send it to a radiologist to have a second look. I've been going to this vet for just over a year. I made the switch as this doctor seems to have the most experience with Bulldogs (he has 1 of them along with 2 frenchies and a Boston!!) and seems to know more about their special needs then our previous vet! He's a super thorough doctor and I fully trust him. [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] - no signs of hind leg issues so hopefully it will be nothing. I just panic ya know!
Thanks everyone for the food suggestions!! Sgt. has got about 50% of the pain meds in him but doesn't seem to be in any pain! The banana and watermelon worked great! [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - I've never given Sgt. raw meat before. What kind would you give him? Is it going to make him poop himself? This guy has such a sensitive stomach!

Hopefully the dr. calls back soon and I'll update! I took the week off just incase Sgt. wasn't feeling good...I don't trust his brother to leave him alone and let him rest (even though he has been really good since Sgt. came home on Thursday, I obviously don't give him enough credit!). Sgt. is doing really well though, so I'm getting all my fall cleaning done! Bonus!

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hey Ashley! If the banana watermelon combo works I'd stick to that. Prob best not to introduce raw now if Sgt's never had it, especially with a sensitive stomach. Yup... shadowing on an xray is usually bowel gas in that area. That said, that's an excellent call on your vet's part to notice and send it to the radiologist for a second opinion. You're such a good Mom Ashley! Sgt has got to love you being home with him! Give your little guy a big hug and kiss for me and please let us know what the vet says!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
But which vertebra is affected? Dogs have 8cervical, 13 thoracic, 7 lumbar 3 sacral and 5 caudal vertebrae.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! Sgt. had a great weekend and seems to be recovering from surgery with no issues. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor (he's on lunch) about the radiologist results. Re-reading my post, I left out a few of the doctors comments (I swear I was trying to keep it short!) about the x-rays... [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] @Mama2Bullies [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]sOwner [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - The Dr. saw some "shadowing" that looked abnormal...that was what made him think there could be an infection. He did mention it wasn't common hence why he wanted to send it to a radiologist to have a second look. I've been going to this vet for just over a year. I made the switch as this doctor seems to have the most experience with Bulldogs (he has 1 of them along with 2 frenchies and a Boston!!) and seems to know more about their special needs then our previous vet! He's a super thorough doctor and I fully trust him. [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] - no signs of hind leg issues so hopefully it will be nothing. I just panic ya know!
Thanks everyone for the food suggestions!! Sgt. has got about 50% of the pain meds in him but doesn't seem to be in any pain! The banana and watermelon worked great! [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - I've never given Sgt. raw meat before. What kind would you give him? Is it going to make him poop himself? This guy has such a sensitive stomach!

Hopefully the dr. calls back soon and I'll update! I took the week off just incase Sgt. wasn't feeling good...I don't trust his brother to leave him alone and let him rest (even though he has been really good since Sgt. came home on Thursday, I obviously don't give him enough credit!). Sgt. is doing really well though, so I'm getting all my fall cleaning done! Bonus!

Hide in red meat.

OP
asherose

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, when it rains it pours! So, here's the most recent update.

Radiologist report came back about the x-rays and showed no infection. He does have Spondylosis...but he told me it's not severe and at this point, so we will just monitor him and make sure he doesn't show signs of discomfort. If it progresses, we will come up with a treatment plan. On a positive note, the radiologist confirmed no signs of arthritis or bone degeneration. Yay!

So, Monday night I'm feeling a lot better about the situation...then Tuesday morning came.
Sgt. was making some funny choking like noises. He had a big drink and it seemed to subside. Then it started again, but it was more like that noise they make before they vomit rather than a choking. He was very lethargic and just didn't seem like himself. I really started to worry when he wouldn't touch his breakfast. This dog NEVER skips a meal! I watched him for about 15 minutes and noticed his back legs were shaking. I called the vet and told him what was happening and he advised I should bring him in right away. Sgt. spent the day at the vet again yesterday. They did more x-rays and monitored him. When I picked him up last night the vet told me he was fairly certain Sgt. has pneumonia. He was waiting on confirmation from the radiologist but didn't want to take any chances, so he sent us home with antibiotics that he had started him on earlier in the day. Full disclosure, they told me that he could spend the night at the vet - but I just couldn't do it and they said that was ok. I'm not sure if that makes me a bad mom, but I wanted him to be able to rest at home. He's always so stressed when he leaves the vet as he is not used to sitting in a crate all day (or being away from me and not being at home). I was up pretty much all night watching him to make sure he was ok (he literally just slept and farted all night...).

This morning, Sgt. ate his breakfast, went to the bathroom and seemed to be more himself - he seemed to be on the mend (or so I thought) then I get a call from the vet asking me to bring Sgt. back in. The radiologist confirmed it was aspiration pneumonia. The vet wanted to get him on an iv for antibiotics asap so he could give him 2 doses today. I'm hopefully going to be able to bring him home tonight. I feel like the vet gave me a bunch more information that has all jumbled together in my mind. I'm super emotional, and I'm not great at processing too much info when I'm in this state. I just feel so bad for him. I keep leaving him at the vet and he doesn't understand why. His brother is also in a state because he doesn't know what is going on. My husband (the one of us that retains information) is away for work so I'm flying solo.

I'll update when I have more info...I've taken the rest of the week off work so I can focus on his recovery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.