Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long story long...complete with questions!

My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Long story long...complete with questions!

Hi Natallia! I think it's distal caudal. It was described by the vet as the last vertebra.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    But which vertebra is affected? Dogs have 8cervical, 13 thoracic, 7 lumbar 3 sacral and 5 caudal vertebrae.

2. Likes 2BullyMama, asherose liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by asherose View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies!!! Sgt. had a great weekend and seems to be recovering from surgery with no issues. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor (he's on lunch) about the radiologist results. Re-reading my post, I left out a few of the doctors comments (I swear I was trying to keep it short!) about the x-rays... @2BullyMama @Mama2Bullies @DollysOwner @helsonwheels - The Dr. saw some "shadowing" that looked abnormal...that was what made him think there could be an infection. He did mention it wasn't common hence why he wanted to send it to a radiologist to have a second look. I've been going to this vet for just over a year. I made the switch as this doctor seems to have the most experience with Bulldogs (he has 1 of them along with 2 frenchies and a Boston!!) and seems to know more about their special needs then our previous vet! He's a super thorough doctor and I fully trust him. @Jersey - no signs of hind leg issues so hopefully it will be nothing. I just panic ya know!
    Thanks everyone for the food suggestions!! Sgt. has got about 50% of the pain meds in him but doesn't seem to be in any pain! The banana and watermelon worked great! @Jersey and @helsonwheels - I've never given Sgt. raw meat before. What kind would you give him? Is it going to make him poop himself? This guy has such a sensitive stomach!

Hopefully the dr. calls back soon and I'll update! I took the week off just incase Sgt. wasn't feeling good...I don't trust his brother to leave him alone and let him rest (even though he has been really good since Sgt. came home on Thursday, I obviously don't give him enough credit!). Sgt. is doing really well though, so I'm getting all my fall cleaning done! Bonus!
    Hide in red meat.

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member asherose's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
    Likes (Received)

Ok, when it rains it pours! So, here's the most recent update.

Radiologist report came back about the x-rays and showed no infection. He does have Spondylosis...but he told me it's not severe and at this point, so we will just monitor him and make sure he doesn't show signs of discomfort. If it progresses, we will come up with a treatment plan. On a positive note, the radiologist confirmed no signs of arthritis or bone degeneration. Yay!

So, Monday night I'm feeling a lot better about the situation...then Tuesday morning came.
    Sgt. was making some funny choking like noises. He had a big drink and it seemed to subside. Then it started again, but it was more like that noise they make before they vomit rather than a choking. He was very lethargic and just didn't seem like himself. I really started to worry when he wouldn't touch his breakfast. This dog NEVER skips a meal! I watched him for about 15 minutes and noticed his back legs were shaking. I called the vet and told him what was happening and he advised I should bring him in right away. Sgt. spent the day at the vet again yesterday. They did more x-rays and monitored him. When I picked him up last night the vet told me he was fairly certain Sgt. has pneumonia. He was waiting on confirmation from the radiologist but didn't want to take any chances, so he sent us home with antibiotics that he had started him on earlier in the day. Full disclosure, they told me that he could spend the night at the vet - but I just couldn't do it and they said that was ok. I'm not sure if that makes me a bad mom, but I wanted him to be able to rest at home. He's always so stressed when he leaves the vet as he is not used to sitting in a crate all day (or being away from me and not being at home). I was up pretty much all night watching him to make sure he was ok (he literally just slept and farted all night...).

This morning, Sgt. ate his breakfast, went to the bathroom and seemed to be more himself - he seemed to be on the mend (or so I thought) then I get a call from the vet asking me to bring Sgt. back in. The radiologist confirmed it was aspiration pneumonia. The vet wanted to get him on an iv for antibiotics asap so he could give him 2 doses today. I'm hopefully going to be able to bring him home tonight. I feel like the vet gave me a bunch more information that has all jumbled together in my mind. I'm super emotional, and I'm not great at processing too much info when I'm in this state. I just feel so bad for him. I keep leaving him at the vet and he doesn't understand why. His brother is also in a state because he doesn't know what is going on. My husband (the one of us that retains information) is away for work so I'm flying solo.

I'll update when I have more info...I've taken the rest of the week off work so I can focus on his recovery.

5. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member asherose's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    Hey Ashley! If the banana watermelon combo works I'd stick to that. Prob best not to introduce raw now if Sgt's never had it, especially with a sensitive stomach. Yup... shadowing on an xray is usually bowel gas in that area. That said, that's an excellent call on your vet's part to notice and send it to the radiologist for a second opinion. You're such a good Mom Ashley! Sgt has got to love you being home with him! Give your little guy a big hug and kiss for me and please let us know what the vet says!
    Thanks @Jersey!!!

7. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Oh boy,,, no kidding when it rains it pours... Many prayers coming your way. And yes, please update as much as possible. I just dislike this stuff intensely I'm so glad you can take off work as yould be a wreck if not!! I hope they're good about it!

9. Likes asherose, Ranger777 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Radiologist report came back about the x-rays and showed no infection. He does have Spondylosis...but he told me it's not severe and at this point, so we will just monitor him and make sure he doesn't show signs of discomfort. If it progresses, we will come up with a treatment plan. On a positive note, the radiologist confirmed no signs of arthritis or bone degeneration. Yay!

So, Monday night I'm feeling a lot better about the situation...then Tuesday morning came.
    Sgt. was making some funny choking like noises. He had a big drink and it seemed to subside. Then it started again, but it was more like that noise they make before they vomit rather than a choking. He was very lethargic and just didn't seem like himself. I really started to worry when he wouldn't touch his breakfast. This dog NEVER skips a meal! I watched him for about 15 minutes and noticed his back legs were shaking. I called the vet and told him what was happening and he advised I should bring him in right away. Sgt. spent the day at the vet again yesterday. They did more x-rays and monitored him. When I picked him up last night the vet told me he was fairly certain Sgt. has pneumonia. He was waiting on confirmation from the radiologist but didn't want to take any chances, so he sent us home with antibiotics that he had started him on earlier in the day. Full disclosure, they told me that he could spend the night at the vet - but I just couldn't do it and they said that was ok. I'm not sure if that makes me a bad mom, but I wanted him to be able to rest at home. He's always so stressed when he leaves the vet as he is not used to sitting in a crate all day (or being away from me and not being at home). I was up pretty much all night watching him to make sure he was ok (he literally just slept and farted all night...).

This morning, Sgt. ate his breakfast, went to the bathroom and seemed to be more himself - he seemed to be on the mend (or so I thought) then I get a call from the vet asking me to bring Sgt. back in. The radiologist confirmed it was aspiration pneumonia. The vet wanted to get him on an iv for antibiotics asap so he could give him 2 doses today. I'm hopefully going to be able to bring him home tonight. I feel like the vet gave me a bunch more information that has all jumbled together in my mind. I'm super emotional, and I'm not great at processing too much info when I'm in this state. I just feel so bad for him. I keep leaving him at the vet and he doesn't understand why. His brother is also in a state because he doesn't know what is going on. My husband (the one of us that retains information) is away for work so I'm flying solo.

I'll update when I have more info...I've taken the rest of the week off work so I can focus on his recovery.
    Sending healing prayers... as hard as it is with pneumonia-- he has to stay at the vet -- it is best.
    @Ranger777 @oscarmayer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

11. Likes helsonwheels, Ranger777 liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Have to agree Ashley, vet's the best place for now.

Put a diffuser on 24/7. Especially when he's sleeping. These are anti inflammatories oils. It will help him breathe way better. Hang in there we're all here for you!!!

6 drops of Eucalyptus
    6 drops of Peppermint
    6 drops of Lavender
    5 drops of Lemon

13. Likes Jersey, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Ranger777's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ranger
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Sending healing prayers... as hard as it is with pneumonia-- he has to stay at the vet -- it is best.
    @Ranger777 @oscarmayer

Yes, it is VERY HARD to leave them. But, itís the very best thing you can do for them. Iím not sure about your Vet but when Ranger had aspiration pneumonia and had to stay at the Vetís way longer than Iíd liked, they were so kind and allowed us to go up and see him and also sent pics to us at night. Our Vet has full time staff 24/7
    Iím not sure you read my post on Rangerís experience but itís so scary and you really have to stay on top of it. We almost lost him so quickly. He got sick literally within an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ďTexas is a fine place for men and dogs, but hell on women and horses.Ē
    ó Molly Ivins

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Smash
    Likes (Received)

So sorry for everything Sgt and you are going through! I hope he heals quick and you two can go back to normal. He sure is a handsome guy!

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I sure would like to read a positive update...worried

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

any update on your boy?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

another request for update @asherose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads