Stubbornness potty HELP!

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We rescued a 9yr old EB. This is my first experience with this breed and their stubbornness. I cannot get Jake to go out and pee in the morning. It is currently 11am where I live and he still refuses to go out. If I get him out on the porch he will just lay down and refuse to move. I have tried dog treats to coax him off the porch to no avail. If my dh was home I know he would have gone. This has been an everyday thing and its driving me nuts.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My method, which is not one which everyone would approve of, would be to have a harness(not a collar) on him,drag him down the stairs,give him something REALLY tasty at the bottom, and walk. Most likely most will not approve! Show him who is boss :bigboss:,don't let him con you! Does he go down steps for anyone else?

OP
M

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
While to some what you say may sound harsh, but this is how my dh gets him to go. However for me I'm only 5'1 and he is 70# even with the harness on I cannot drag him to go and he just try's to back out of his harness for me. He only has to go off one step from porch to grass but refuses to pee there for me. I never had a dog that would rather hold his pee for hours. I took him out 4 times now and he wont go?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Are you sure he is stubborn or could he be afraid of something? Or just sleepy? Castor doesn't exactly run out in the morning; he would gladly sleep in until 11 am if he could. To get him out of bed and out of the house in the morning, I have to shake a plastic container with kibble. Often I need to go all the way up to where he sleeps (we have lots of stairs) and wake him up and then he will follow me down as he knows he will get a kibble when he comes down. As he knows he'll get to meet his dog friends during his morning walk, it is usually easy to get him out once he's come down, but currently the street outside of our house is being dug up so there are those really noisy machines all day long and poor Castor is not amused.

If you rescued Jake recently, could it be that there is some kind of noise or some other new things in the environment that make him reluctant to go out? Even though you hopefully don't have an excavator on your doorstep like we do, perhaps there is something that Jake needs time to adjust to? Do you know what kinds of outings he was used to before he came to you?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm thinking the same.... he is still adjusting and may be more secure with the person you are referring to as 'dh'.... what does that mean? I'm at a loss?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maybe you should get him a patch of grass and put it on the porch.(or artificial turf)

OP
M

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Dh means darling hubby. I believe its the adjustment period. He had a fenced backyard without steps so I'm sure he was just let out to potty and returned when finished. Unfortunately for us we have 12 steps to our fenced backyard and he is less than thrilled about using them. I decided it would be less stressful for he and I to put his harness on and potty out front only one step. He just decided he would rather potty in the house. The problem is he doesn't warn us in any way he just goes. We are not sure if he was actually house broken or not? It is very frustrating as we have carpet upstairs. We may need a gate.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dh means darling hubby. I believe its the adjustment period. He had a fenced backyard without steps so I'm sure he was just let out to potty and returned when finished. Unfortunately for us we have 12 steps to our fenced backyard and he is less than thrilled about using them. I decided it would be less stressful for he and I to put his harness on and potty out front only one step. He just decided he would rather potty in the house. The problem is he doesn't warn us in any way he just goes. We are not sure if he was actually house broken or not? It is very frustrating as we have carpet upstairs. We may need a gate.

Get a gate and train like a puppy... if possible take him out every two hours and throw a party with a treat immediately when he does his business... do not fuss when he goes inside-- unless you catch him in act then , don't yell-- just give a firm NO leash him and take outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online