SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Today is a sad day for my family and my 4 year old bulldog Sampson. After 7 great years of life a sudden illness happened overnight to our family dog Frosty (lab mix)whom Sampson had grown up with. It's been a full 24 hours since Frosty has passed and it's the worst feeling in the world. Now Sampson is on his own without his friend. I am probably over exaggerating but every time I look into his eyes I feel as if he knows and he is very upset it just breaks my heart. Has anyone gone through this before? I need some advice on doing everything possible to not let Sampson get depressed that is my worst fear. I will absolutely not even consider getting another dog right now or probably ever again. Please give me advice to help me and my family get through this.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So sorry for your loss.
I know how it feels to loose a family member.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so sorry for your loss.

When Chumly died, our Doxie grieved and it was so sad to see. His whole personality changed, he just lay around, would not go outside (we would have to carry him) and lost his appetite. This went on until we got Monty, who kind of fell into our laps, about 3 weeks later. He was scared of Monty even though Monty ignored him completely and had to move around more to get out of his way! Monty took his mind off it really and he came out of his depression. Dogs do get depressed and sad. As another dog is out of the question, I would try to involve Sampson in as much activity as you can, walks, car rides etc. and hopefully, that will help.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It's the most awful feeling, emotion we have to bear. Im so sorry for all of you and i dont think your exaggerating at all. I think 1chumly is right about keeping him as busy, gently, as possible.. My girl had to grieve just as i did when we lost her daughter and we got through it together.. It's horrible for all and i give prayers of peace and comfort. I 'think' it's important to love them up and busy them, but do be careful about just babying them because you want to help them 'through' it. They are more resilient than us and i would feel better that they get on with life even when we still struggle. Im so sorry for your loss.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17089]SampsonsMumma[/MENTION] There are many of us who have gone through a loss like yours. We know how it such pain in your heart. Yes, Sampson will grieve,just as you are. Some, like people,get through it easier than others. He may do well, or he may need another dog in his life. Time will tell. Please do not deny yourself and Sampson the joy of a pup,as it really does help heal the heart.It is not a replacement,but a new love,and laughter. I did have a female,who died of a broken heart,soon after her brother passed.Keep a watch on Sampson,don't let him grieve too long.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry for your loss... yes, they grieve-- when our Banks passed, Cheli our Frenchie was very depressed and stopped playing / interacting with us -- it was heart breaking-- we got Lambeau a month after Banks passed and two weeks later Cheli was back to himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry for your loss... I have been thru this many times, and yes other pets will grieve the loss. You can try to spend extra time w/them, and keep them busy... best thing to do is give him time. Hopefully he will come around...

Members online

No members online now.