Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Hi all! It has been ages since I have posted on here. Unfortunately, I have been battling leukemia, which has been quite an experience. Anyhoo, I need some suggestions and reassurances. Our 5 yo boy Koozer, recently (like 2 days) has had loose stools with blood in it. The blood is bright red and there is enough to be concerned but not anywhere near emergency level like hemorrhaging. He is acting fairly normal (eating, drinking, pottying, and occasional interest in play), but does seem a bit lethargic or not feeling well. One week ago we boarded him for 4 days at his usual boarding/daycare spot and we brought his food there so no change in diet. Unfortunately, our vet does not have any openings until Wednesday. We dropped off a fecal sample to check for any parasites and will get those results in the morning. Of course, I can't stop worrying. Any ideas of what to do in the meantime to try? My thoughts are: stress, parasite, or infected anal gland. Thanks in advance for your responses:)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So sorry you have been battling leukemia. I wish you all the best and a speed recovery. There are quite a few reasons like you said that could be causing the blood stools. In the meantime I would try to keep him hydrated with lots of fluids, maybe try bone broth. Try giving a tablespoonful of canned pumpkin ( not the kind for pies ) per day to help firm up stools.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all! It has been ages since I have posted on here. Unfortunately, I have been battling leukemia, which has been quite an experience. Anyhoo, I need some suggestions and reassurances. Our 5 yo boy Koozer, recently (like 2 days) has had loose stools with blood in it. The blood is bright red and there is enough to be concerned but not anywhere near emergency level like hemorrhaging. He is acting fairly normal (eating, drinking, pottying, and occasional interest in play), but does seem a bit lethargic or not feeling well. One week ago we boarded him for 4 days at his usual boarding/daycare spot and we brought his food there so no change in diet. Unfortunately, our vet does not have any openings until Wednesday. We dropped off a fecal sample to check for any parasites and will get those results in the morning. Of course, I can't stop worrying. Any ideas of what to do in the meantime to try? My thoughts are: stress, parasite, or infected anal gland. Thanks in advance for your responses:)

I went through bright red blood with Duke a few months ago. It boiled down was stress. If he plays hard at daycare it can provoke bright red blood. So long its bright and NOT dark red. It took a good month for it to go away. Duke plays hard with Nyala n doesn't stop. Last week I same again in his stool. Thats when I was babysitting the cousins pitties n GS. All 5 were playing rough n didn't stop. Back then, the breeder said not to worry but of course I did lol but...she was right. I did call my holistic vet and she said the same. I would still have him checked out if I were you as he does go to daycare. Now when I see bright red blood I personally dont worry anymore. Cause it happens each time they're all playing rough.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
So sorry you have been battling leukemia. I wish you all the best and a speed recovery. There are quite a few reasons like you said that could be causing the blood stools. In the meantime I would try to keep him hydrated with lots of fluids, maybe try bone broth. Try giving a tablespoonful of canned pumpkin ( not the kind for pies ) per day to help firm up stools.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will definitely try the pumpkin. Thankfully, he is hydrated and drinking plenty.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a play/stress thing. I will still sleep better knowing we got the all clear. It is so nice knowing that this is a common problem, because I was stressing:) FYI, the blood is definitely bright red...whew.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a play/stress thing. I will still sleep better knowing we got the all clear. It is so nice knowing that this is a common problem, because I was stressing:) FYI, the blood is definitely bright red...whew.

Also the poop might been like a bit slimy and soft.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Well, stool sample came back negative. Onto the next step...vet visit tomorrow. Hoping it's nothing serious.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Was stool sample fresh? Certain parasites like Giardia you can find only in very fresh stools (30 min old maximum). And I wonder what method of poop examination they used...Coccidia require flotation method to find it. Can be also allergic (eosinophilic) gastroenteritis.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Was stool sample fresh? Certain parasites like Giardia you can find only in very fresh stools (30 min old maximum). And I wonder what method of poop examination they used...Coccidia require flotation method to find it. Can be also allergic (eosinophilic) gastroenteritis.

If they don't find anything they sometimes treat for Giardia "just in case" since it's hard to detect - metronidazole plus fenbendazole

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Absolutely agree, not only metronidazole is good against of tens of types of parasite and bacteria, it has a pronounced healing ability, it helps intestinal walls to regenerate. In presence of metronidazole all sores in gastrointestinal tract heal very good.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=5678]Gfitz911[/MENTION] Don't know what you are feeding, but my Frenchie HAD to have grain free, or there would be blood in her stools.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thanks everyone for the info. Koozer is doing much better. The vet thinks it is just a bacteria infection and says it is quite common. He is on Propectalin to firm up the stools and help with healthy gut flora and is on Metronidazole for the infection. He's already doing so much better...no more blood and firmer stool...whew:)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thanks everyone for the info. Koozer is doing much better. The vet thinks it is just a bacteria infection and says it is quite common. He is on Propectalin to firm up the stools and help with healthy gut flora and is on Metronidazole for the infection. He's already doing so much better...no more blood and firmer stool...whew:)

Try to space out the propectalin from the metronidazole as far apart as u can.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.