Whopper refuses to walk

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Pretty self explanatory I guess. This guy is getting fat and he absolutely refuses to walk. Doesnt matter what I do. He would just as soon be drug than walk. He has got it figured out that if he simply lays down that there isn't much I can do. I've tried using treats, pick him up and make him stand on his feet, try pushing him, coaxing him, I have carried him part way thinking if he is at least off home ground that he will continue on his self. As soon as he gets the idea we are heading back home he jumps up and walks like a champ. I even tried to trick him and head towards home and sneakily go in a circle and head away but he is smart and as soon as he figures out it ain't towards home he flops down and ain't budging. I've included a pic of his fat body. He is 64 pounds now. Almost 10 more than when I got him. Eats 2 1/2 cups of taste of the wild a day. Just won't walk so he's gaining weight. Any advice? IMG_20170908_150820.jpg

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I guess I should add that he does have what I would describe as an extra pad on one of his feet. Only thing I can think is maybe it's bothering him. Doesn't seem to though. No limping or favoring that foot. Doesn't lick at it or flinch when messing with it. But that's the only thing I can come up with why he would be so against walks. Every other dog I have ever had, including 4 bulldogs, have loved going for walks or rides. Not whopper.

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I should probably also add that he walked fine for about a month after I got him. Put up a little resistance at first but always ended up walking great and at a brisk pace. It like he has just decided that he would rather not exert himself. He doesn't like to be outside for anything actually.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Curiously, his name makes an apt description. He needs to lose weight. Cut his kibble back to 1/2 Cup 2 times a day and add as many green beans as he wants. Frozen low sodium is best. Cut out ALL treats...all treats. He doesn't need them. Once he gets to a "much" lower weight, he will likely become more active. Even if you get the weight off and he doesn't get more active he will certainly live longer, much longer.
Probably not what you were hoping to hear but it's as direct and truthful as I can be. I'm concerned for his health.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have one that hates to go for walks too! It takes a lot of coaxing and sometimes he will not go out of the driveway. I agree with [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], cut back on the food. Monty is on Zignature (430 cals a cup) and he gets 3/4 cup twice a day with frozen green beans as a topper. He is 7 years old and weighs between 66 -68 lbs and is a low energy dog. He is a big boy but he does have a waist.

Monty back.jpg.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
if only I could give him some of Hanks enthusiasm for a walk!!! and you could give hank some 'slow down'.. I was so worried that I was having a dog that couldn't keep up with me and whoops!! I got what I wanted. One that is rarin to go at the drop of a hat. He wears me out. Is there no up the middle ? :/ Well anyway, I surely don't have advice but I do believe that a little less weight may give him some oomph... lazy butt!!

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Thanks for the advice. Curiously he was free fed by his previous owners. So I'm pretty certain his current 2 and a half cups a day is less than what he used to eat. But he was probably getting more exercise. He looks much more plump laying down. He does have a waist and is pretty muscular but is definitely bigger than when I got him. I will try cutting his food intake but I'm pretty sure he will still refuse to walk. He has no trouble running like a gazelle through the house and is happy to sprint all over the house everyday when I play with him. Included is a pic I just took of him standing up. I don't think he is obese but he could certainly get there with zero walks.
Screenshot_20170908-170508.png

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
This pic is when I first got him 6 months ago...
Screenshot_20170908-171924.png

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky is around the same weight but will walk as far as you are willing to go if the outside temperatures right. He will stop and head home when its too hot.

I feed him 2-1/4 cups of food per day with 1-1/4 in the morning and 1 cup at dinner time and his snacks are ice and more ice which he will eat a lot of

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How old is he exactly? I personally would get him off TOTW. He needs to loose a good 10lbs to be fit. You're going to need to be patient and do baby steps. 2 ways to do this, either you get him on raw or homecooking or honest kitchen. Meaning off kibbles. If you dont want to, stick to ONE protein as a kibble. Acana or Fromm has one protein. 1 3/4 per day only n if you want to give treats stick to FRESH or FROZEN green beans NOT IN A CAN!!!. If he doesnt like to walk but can jump, play, run, fly like a bird at home....get him in the backyard n get example a chuck-it with the ball or something you can throw far and make him run..exercise 30mins 2x per day...meaning make him move at home if he wont walk... and no breaks in 30 mins if hes a gazelle as you mentioned.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Get a wagon or doggie buggy, put him in it and take him for a walk...not too long. When you get the predetermined distance from home, take him out and walk him, walk him straight back home. He'll get the idea soon enough. Better still, you'll get the idea and suddenly you'll be a step ahead of him stead of the other way around.
BTW, trying to get that super-cute chubmeister to walk with treats will never work. He associates the treats with sitting. He's a smart one..."hmmmm, if I sit, I get treats...mmmmm. This is great! I think it's time to sit again."

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He is a beautiful bullie, he is a bit heavy, but I'm not sure that he is refusing to walk bcs of weight. You know, I've seen much bigger bullies still playful and interested in walks. I'm afraid that he is either in pain, or it could be depression? It can be also one of this amazing bullie crazy ideas they suddenly get and stick to them no matter what - you know, one day they get an idea to wet bed, other day they poop in the night in the kitchen, or scared of going out.
Why don't you try to feed him at destination- take his breakfast with you and serve it in the park for him?

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
How old is he exactly? I personally would get him off TOTW. He needs to loose a good 10lbs to be fit. You're going to need to be patient and do baby steps. 2 ways to do this, either you get him on raw or homecooking or honest kitchen. Meaning off kibbles. If you dont want to, stick to ONE protein as a kibble. Acana or Fromm has one protein. 1 3/4 per day only n if you want to give treats stick to FRESH or FROZEN green beans NOT IN A CAN!!!. If he doesnt like to walk but can jump, play, run, fly like a bird at home....get him in the backyard n get example a chuck-it with the ball or something you can throw far and make him run..exercise 30mins 2x per day...meaning make him move at home if he wont walk... and no breaks in 30 mins if hes a gazelle as you mentioned.

Whopper is 3 and a half. He actually doesn't like to be outside at all. Playtime is inside. As soon as he is done relieving himself he sprints back to the door and won't budge until let back in. I play with him inside everyday until he is worn out. Part of our playtime is me running back and forth the length of the basement and he chases after me.

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Get a wagon or doggie buggy, put him in it and take him for a walk...not too long. When you get the predetermined distance from home, take him out and walk him, walk him straight back home. He'll get the idea soon enough. Better still, you'll get the idea and suddenly you'll be a step ahead of him stead of the other way around.
BTW, trying to get that super-cute chubmeister to walk with treats will never work. He associates the treats with sitting. He's a smart one..."hmmmm, if I sit, I get treats...mmmmm. This is great! I think it's time to sit again."

Thats a no go on the wagon. He hates anything that is not solid under his feet. He gets very upset, nervous and stressed out even in a car.

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
He is a beautiful bullie, he is a bit heavy, but I'm not sure that he is refusing to walk bcs of weight. You know, I've seen much bigger bullies still playful and interested in walks. I'm afraid that he is either in pain, or it could be depression? It can be also one of this amazing bullie crazy ideas they suddenly get and stick to them no matter what - you know, one day they get an idea to wet bed, other day they poop in the night in the kitchen, or scared of going out.
Why don't you try to feed him at destination- take his breakfast with you and serve it in the park for him?

He is definitely not depressed. Has a pretty happy disposition most of the time. Unless of course he gets told no or we can't give him 100% of our attention. Then he acts like his entire world has crumbled. He is a masterful pouter. Lol.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.