Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bully got attacked!!! I'm not ok!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bully got attacked!!! I'm not ok!

Pincher collars are very painful. Not to be mean, but I feel they are completely unnecessary, just like shock collars. A mendota slip lead works WONDERS for getting a puller to slow down. They DO however have to be used correctly. You can't let the lead slide all the way down the neck, bring it up just behind the jaw, holding the leash upwards so that there is just a bit of comfortable slack, but the dog doesn't have the opportunity to overstep you and lead. For an example look at how handlers lead dogs in the show ring. There are also other techniques to establish alpha over your dog on walk so that they walk respectfully next to you. When leaving, make sure they sit calmly to get ready to go. Make sure your exiting and entering the house first. When he starts to pull ahead of you, turn and go the other direction, every time he pulls, turn the other direction. You can also place your hand in a cupped C over his nose and muzzle, although thats not the easiest in bullies lol.

Something that I learned as a child that I value VERY much is dog body language signals. It allows me to literally see what a dog is thinking. They "talk" through body language in so many ways, from tail and ear posture, to the way they bend and facial expressions. It helps when introducing one of my dogs to another dog. I can not only assess how my dog is feeling, but also how the other dog is feeling.
    Last edited by froggz; 03-27-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

I have to disagree with froggz. When used correctly, the pinch collar is not painful. I have used it in my past dog and it was wonderful. My past dog pulled once, felt the pinch and never pulled after that. They learn quick with it.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@DeeDee

I'm so glad that Buster seems to be totally fine after this experience and I agree that a harness is so much easier ... although I thought all harnesses attatched the leash on the back. I'm not sure I've ever seen one where the leash is attached at the chest!?

Now your next move is to get him out there on a walk again ... I'm sure Buster is fine, but it will be you that will have difficulties relaxing when out on a walk. Buster will sense any tension and nervousness you feel ... so make sure you stay relaxed and in control!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads