Help - Patch of Fur Missing!

Yourekillinmesmalls

Sep 5, 2017
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smalls
My Bulldog, Smalls, had developed what I thought was Alopecia about 9 months ago and the hair has grown back on the one side but the other side hasn't. About 2 weeks ago I noticed this raised knot on the area where the Alopecia is and didn't think much of it and then yesterday he developed a circular patch of missing hair and its crusty. He's 4 years old I feed him Zignature Lamb LIT, grain free. Can someone help me with this!!!

smalls 1.jpgsmalls 2.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Bulldog, Smalls, had developed what I thought was Alopecia about 9 months ago and the hair has grown back on the one side but the other side hasn't. About 2 weeks ago I noticed this raised knot on the area where the Alopecia is and didn't think much of it and then yesterday he developed a circular patch of missing hair and its crusty. He's 4 years old I feed him Zignature Lamb LIT, grain free. Can someone help me with this!!!
View attachment 107959View attachment 107960

From what I see it's like bald. No redness nor scabs. Duke just been through this. I would get NuStock. A lot of members went through this with their furballs and NuStock grows the hair back. I never went through alopecia but others did. Lets see what they have to say.... [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My 6 month old just went through something similar. He had a few little bald spots and they were scabby. A lot of people on here will recommend Nustock as it seems to really work. You can also bathe him twice a week with a medicated shampoo like Ketohex. I ended up taking Louie to the vet and he was put on Simplicef and it cleared up in a couple of days. The only reason I did this was because my Frenchie had just had surgery and I was stressed and just couldn't devote the time to clearing it up on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
From the pics it appears to be a skin infection. Starts out as a small spot and grows larger, hair falls out and skin around the perimeter gets flakey. Spot will grow and hair will return to the center and soon enough looks like a crop circle. Vet can prescribe antibiotics to treat or you can try to self medicate with shampoos, home remedies, etc. Quickest recovery will be with be with Vet prescribed meds, IMO...also most costly route. You might give Douxo Mousse a try. We've had good luck with that. Apply a small amount every other day directly to any affected area, and rub in. Wash hands after treatment.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang... quickest recovery is antibiotics but as Citty and Chip suggested -- medicated bathes and nu-stock will clear it up.

For the alopecia-- fish oil works wonders , has helped the fur to slowly grow back -- not completely but it is no longer 'bare'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Y

Yourekillinmesmalls

Sep 5, 2017
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smalls
Smalls went to the vet yesterday and just has a skin infection! Thank you everyone for your help.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Y

Yourekillinmesmalls

Sep 5, 2017
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smalls
Do the areas eventually grow back fur completely? Vet prescribed antibiotic which is helping with the scabbiness but he still has little crop circles. Been about 2-3 since this all started. Any idea what causes this?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Smalls may need some probiotics. NuStock will grow the hair back. Rub it in areas every three days.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
strangely enough,,, dogs, at least most it seem, love sauerkraut... it has to be the refrigerated one, and fermented but it's great for the tummy and in 'our' family, it doest produce gass.... They have a good one at sprouts and now Vons i think, called bubbies and great one at Costco that i/we like. oh yea,,, and we alternate with Herbsmith... on amazon ;)

OP
Y

Yourekillinmesmalls

Sep 5, 2017
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smalls
Smalls still continues to get more of these circular spots of no fur. He has about 6 now, the old ones are growing hair back but it's just annoying that more have shown up. He was on 2 different Antibiotics, 1st one didn't work the 2nd one cleared the scabbiness but didn't stop the patches from showing up. I switched his food a couple weeks ago from Zignature grain free lamb to Farmina Natural & Delicious grain free Wild Herring...hoping this will help! I just don't know what is causing these hairless spots which is bothering me and the vet can't seem to put her finger on it. HELP!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online