I'm banging my head against the wall!!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm at the point where I'm not sure what I'm doing anymore. I have so much going on. I switched Orion back to our original vet after an unsatisfying visit for her eye at the 24 hour clinic. With her second consultation, they discovered a mild case of entropion, but more concerning, was an ulcer. So, I was given some antibiotic drops and asked to administer them twice daily..and check back in 3 to 5 days. Well, today was day 5. Her eye is not better at all. I guess her ulcer is pretty bad. I'm having a hard time getting the drops into it. She just won't let me. To get the drops in... I'm straddling her, with one hand thru her harness wrapped around her neck and trying to open her eye and my other hand is holding the dropper. :*(
Half the time I don't think she's getting the med. The Dr said the ulcer looked to be under a layer...:confused: so she asked me to continue the drops until next Wednesday. Her dad is the clinic owner and the pro with bulldogs, and he would be home from vacation by then. She did not charge me for the visit...but told me that if things got worse I was to come in immediately.
So I have that going on.
Plus...I'm trying to switch Orion over from Dog Lovers Gold to Nature's Logic. I'm not sure this is the best time for me to be doing this. We are at 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food and we've been doing the change for almost a week. Peeeeyeeeewwwwww. She has gas like you wouldn't believe. So, I don't think this will be the food for her. I will give her more time on it...but I think the gas is not worth it.
Then...I picked up some salmon oil for them. I really want to :barf:. That is the worst smelling stuff ever. Not only does my house smell, but they smell. I don't know who threw it at who, but I swear Vegas used his chin to wipe the salmon oil off the bottom of his dish...then used Orion and the rest of my house to dry and clean his chin. I'm taking it back tomorrow. I may try the Grizzly brand..I was told that it didn't smell. My husband just got home and asked why Vegas smelled like fish. He calls Vegas his "little bear". I just told him his "little bear" was out fishing for some salmon. While I'm at the store returning the salmon oil, ..I think I will pick up a thunder shirt for Orion. I need to find a better way to help her with her anxiety. All the visits are causing us both added stress.
Then I have my injuries. How long does a pulled groin muscle take to heal? It's been 4 months. Also with my elbow. At times it hurts so much I can't even put on a coat. Carrying Orion is a chore...but I manage using my left arm only.

So...any advice for Orion would be great. I will find out more about the ulcer type on Wednesday. But the other stuff? Do you think I should wait to do the food change when she doesn't have so much stress in her life? I'm not sure if the gas is from nerves or from the food change.

Do you see why I resort to the head banging?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
When it rains, it pours! I am sorry you are dealing with all of this stuff, all at once.

I do not have any experience with the eye issue, so I can't speak to that but I think it's advisable to hold off on changing the food and the whole salmon oil thing. There are just too many variables that could be causing gas or all the stink in the house - and frankly, you don't need to deal with that right now.

So, I guess I recommend a triage method - the eye needs to be dealt with now. The rest can wait.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The gas is probably from IBS, which can happen from switching foods. You won't really know if it makes her gassy for a couple of weeks into the food. I would agree to wait but if you are already at 3/4 now, switching her back could cause even more gas.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Don't have any advice for the food and salmon oil. I do have experience with the eye ulcer. Wilson has had an ulcer on the same eye twice. The first time the ulcer was so bad he had to have his eye sewn shut for two weeks. Had to wear a cone. Talk about stress. The second time they gave me eye ointments, drops and antibiotics. He always has to have eye drops but recently his eye is getting gummy again so I apply his drops twice a day and have been using an antibiotic ointment that his vet prescribed. He's had entropion surgery on both eyes and that seems to be fine in that department now. The biggest battle is keeping those eyes moist. I totally get it about wrangling the bully to get the eye open. I swear women should of been born with at least three arms. First I have to chase Wilson around the living room at least three times and shoo him out from beneath my desk and then we go circling the room again. If I'm lucky he will stop or jump into the armchair where I can block him and pin him down. One eye is easier because I can wrap my arm around his head and hold one eye open while applying the drops with the other free hand. The left eye is another matter. After doing this for over a year now he is letting me grasp his head and tilt it back and with two fingers pull the eye open and apply the drops with the free hand. Voila! OK I hate doing it but it has got to be done and hubby is no help in these matters. Another way is to make your Bully lie down on one side. Apply drops. If you need to do both eyes flip him over and do the other. I have trouble with my knees so this is not my first choice. Sorry you have a groin injury. That must really suck when your bully babies need you. You are making good bully mommy points with me! You'll get thru this. You know what they say about when the going gets tough the tough get going. :guns:

L

Lucy-licious

Wow [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] you really are at the end of your teather, half of me agrees with [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] and thinks stop everything else and concentrate on the drops. Both O and you are already stressed remove as much as you possibly can until her eyes are better. However the food switch is almost done wont it be easier on her system to stick with it and finish the switch? Stop the salmon oil, your brand stinks its not worth the added stress. Isnt it [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] whos using coconut oil I bet that smells better maybe give that a go instead she thinks its great so its worth a try.

I would have to suggest going back to the doctors about your elbow and groinstrain, you obviously need better pain control for a start and suggestions on how you can help the healing process.

In the meantime take some time out and breath for a minute :hug: :hug:

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We are using coconut oil (which is more the consistency of grease). We didn't like the salmon oil smell and Gracie seemed to be a bit more itchy when we used it.

L

Lucy-licious

Sorry [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I knew someone was using coconut oil :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Angie,,,, it wasn't our idea but Ive forgotten which ebn member suggested it to give them credit.. Doh!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would focus on Orion's eye as well. The salmon oil can wait. The food is a toss-up, but since you're almost finished transitioning, I would continue since I would think turning back now would cause more harm than good.

As for your own physical pain, it's probably taking a while to get better because of all stress that's going on in addition to chasing O.

Sorry to hear you're going through all of this. I would be freaking out too. But it would be more towards the anxiety of having to wait for O's doc to come back from holidays. It's only a few more days so hold tight and know that it will get better.

Last edited:
OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1648]Lucylambchop[/MENTION]
With my injuries...I've been going to the Dr. Actually..the groin will heal on it's own. It's just time..same with the elbow. It's actually been 5 months...but it will heal. I was doing PT twice weekly...but my strength in my hand/arm has not improved with ultrasound therapy and massage, so last Thursday was my last appt. I went in Tues for a recommended steroid injection, but the Dr said it might end up doing more harm than good. I'm fine with that. I just need an outlet for my stress and that was kickboxing...which I'm sitting on the sidelines because I'm injured.
I was just having a rough night last night and I'm really worried about O. I just needed a rant. Thanks for listening all.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
How exactly are you pinning her? I have to pin Sarge when I do his wrinkles...I come up from behind...and body drop him gently. I cross my ankles so he can't get out that direction. And make him LAY down. My body still covering him. I put his head between my shoulder and the side of face using that as a way so he can't buck his head back. That allows me both hands to clean his face. I would forget holding onto a harness or collar. They have to much wiggle room. But it would allow you two hands to administer the drops.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Abby is on daily drops for her dry eyes. We have to tag team her to make sure they get in all the way. We just get her on a high chair or sofa, Terri opens her eyes and I place the drop. When they were infected, I had a ointment form of medication. I had to place a line across her eye, close it and then open it. I don't why but she actually did better with that then the drops.

As far as the fish oil, we also stopped the salmon, Bella's EPI didn't do good on it. We switched to krill oil via a pill form (got it at BJ's wholesale so I am sure Costco may have it) It seems to be fine with them. I also use coconut oil, but topically for yeast, I haven't tried it for a supplement.

You be careful you. Holding like you do, I hope your bad arm is used for the drops and not up under the harness.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeell, I don't know jack sh*t about salmon oil.....:confused:..other than people use it to improve a dogs fur coat and keep shedding down...:crazy:....weeeeeell...the old fashion method for curing that......was putting about two tablespoons of Kayo Corn syrup in with their food....:up:..now eye trouble...never had any trouble..sorry.. Changing dog foods....... is a bad idea at this time. Looking for stress out lets while you heal up......This old fart reccomends either..........fishing.........horseback riding.........taking up an instrument.......or.......keep venting here on this sight!:lol:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How is Orion's eye??? [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Most Reactions