Is this conjunctivitis??

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
I've attached a couple pictures of Violets eye (sorry if they're sideways..ugh!). We were at the vet on Friday for her and Finn's last round of shots and they looked perfect then Friday night, I noticed she kept pawing at her eye and then it was bothering all day yesterday. Last night, it looked its worst and was SO red and puffy but the poor girl can barely keep that eye open. In the pictures I posted, it actually looks somewhat ok but last night, the red part was so puffy, it was nearly covering her eye ball. All vets are closed today and tomorrow for the holiday... is this a 24 hour vet situation? Can we wait til the vet opens on Tuesday? Is there something we can treat ourselves? :(

Attachments

• IMG_6422.JPG
    IMG_6422.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_6423.JPG
    IMG_6423.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 125

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Looks irritated... give Benedryl and see if it helps with the itching and swelling. Could be something in air -- if no change with Benedryl plan a vet visit for Tuesday . Oh-- also try a cold compress

1mg per pound up to 3x a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh.. any discharge? If yes.. any color to it ( green, yellow or clear)

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Looks irritated... give Benedryl and see if it helps with the itching and swelling. Could be something in air -- if no change with Benedryl plan a vet visit for Tuesday . Oh-- also try a cold compress

1mg per pound up to 3x a day.

Thank you!! Hubby is heading out the door now. Is it just regular Benadryl or children's??

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!! Hubby is heading out the door now. Is it just regular Benadryl or children's??

Regular

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Jax had conjunctivitis before and it was all gunky and lots of discharge. The eye definitely looks irritated but not sure if it's conjunctivitis. I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...give Benadryl and cold compress and if not better, go to vet on Tuesday.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Looking at the second picture, it looks like Cherry eye....any one else think so? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
IMO, it's not conjunctivitis...hoping that it's just irritation.
Could also be the beginning of a cherry eye. Carefully try to massage that tissue back in place. If it goes back and stays then you have your answer. Often with puppies there is weakness in the third eye-lid that can allow the tear gland to protrude...especially after a period of rough play. When did you notice it first it?

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
IMO, it's not conjunctivitis...hoping that it's just irritation.
Could also be the beginning of a cherry eye. Carefully try to massage that tissue back in place. If it goes back and stays then you have your answer. Often with puppies there is weakness in the third eye-lid that can allow the tear gland to protrude...especially after a period of rough play. When did you notice it first it?

I first noticed her pawing at it and rubbing her face in the ground Friday evening. Yesterday is when we noticed the droopy eye and constant blinking and it wouldn't really stay open. Last night, all we could see was that red puffy part and it looked almost as if her eyeball was rolling back and that red part was taking over. Now, I can look at her and it still looks droopy but just now, I walked over to love on her and she looked up at me and it looked totally fine like normal. But 2 seconds later, its back to the droopy, redness.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
I just took these pics within seconds of each other. In one, it looks ok then a second later, it's the red and droopy.

Attachments

• IMG_6441.JPG
    IMG_6441.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just took these pics within seconds of each other. In one, it looks ok then a second later, it's the red and droopy.

That second dies look to be the beginning of cherry eye

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
When this happens with MINI, we massage it back in and apply ointment with a steroid in it...that reduces swelling and it will stay until it pops out again...always after rough play with Lala. Sometimes it takes a week or more, sometimes the next day. I do not think that MINI's cherry eye will become a problem as she ages as it's what I consider well-controlled by us. i do think that if your bully's is not "well-controlled" by you then you may have a problem down the road. Talk to your Vet and have them show you how to massage it back in place as soon as it pops out...then kennel to get blood pressure down. The elevated blood pressure that goes along with play/excitement is what pops it.

Most Reactions