Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
We will be moving in a few weeks so I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers on getting Louie and Jax adjusted to a new house. Louie is probably 90-95% potty trained, just occasional accidents, but I assume I'll have to start over from scratch for the both of them so they know what door to go to when they have to go out? Also, there is no carpeting at all through the house. I'll have some area rugs but do I have to worry about them running around and slipping and sliding? Lastly, it's a two story house. Since Jax has IVDD, he cannot use the stairs and will have to be carried up and down but obviously Louie is too heavy for that. Do I need to worry about his stair use or do you think it's fine for him to go up and down on his own. I'll have the stairs blocked off so they can't go up or down on their own.

Any advice on getting them adjusted is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Put a stair rug runner going down the stairs and yes of course fastened. Any new home is an adjuster to any dog. Even for humans. Go with the flow as all will fit into its place eventually. Duke n Nyala do not go down to the basement as i never trained them to go down. I just bought rubber mats that overlaps the stairs at home depot. They truly work!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
With the exception of the stairs the dogs will likely adjust more quickly than you. All will be fine once their full food bowls appear.
As Helene pointed out...
Stairs can be carpeted or fitted with non-skid plastic safety covers readily available at most home center/hardware stores. The plastic safety covers are quick to install with small nails and are an easy DIY. Carpet is not DIY for most people.
If they run around on the slick floors they will slide around and perhaps fall on occasion. With our own dogs and ALL of our rescues throughout the years, we've yet to have any injured as a result of slipping on a floor. However, I have heard of it happening...the probability is minescule, IMO. Some dogs will take time to get used to a slippery floor but they will eventually get used to it.
I hope your move goes well for everyone.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You will find it a very easy transition since dogs are less likely to have accidents on hard flooring compared to carpets. If they run around house they will slip and slide so try not to give them toys they will chase around house except when they go outside. I let my dogs go up and down stairs, since neither has IVDD . One goes down in basement on her own, the other has never wanted to.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I haven't "moved" with mine, but I have traveled and I can advise to keep a good eye out right away as they seem to want to make it theirs and feel comfortable doing so. Even my older shih Tzu girls tended to want to pee first thing in someones house. Back then, I took a potty pad to my moms with me, threw it down, pointed at it, and never had an accident since. Now hank, When I first took him to daughters, or travels, I would watch for the 'movement' like h3 was going to pee, and directly say NO and take him outside and right back in. Seems" even lughead got the message quick... Just try to have that your priority the first time they enter the house. Be able to watch them right off and it'll help. Also, we have all wood floors and though if roudy they can slip and slide, you will (I think) love the ease of just moping away their footprints :) My daughter bouht me a Roomba which sort of may seem silly for wood floors but!!!!!!!!!!!! I run it every (almost) morning while I'm doing other things, and walla, if I need to mop, it's ready with my AMAZING handy dandy E-mop that I love behond words.. lol but really! Anyway, it's going to be great... hope it goes smooth.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We have a two-storey house and Monty had never been around stairs. We have not taught him. Luckily, our bedroom is down so he has no need to go up the stairs. We have either tile or wood so have rugs everywhere. It was a problem for him sliding a bit, his feet would slide out sideways. You can buy toenail caps that help with the sliding. A friend of mine uses them for her geriatric dog and she says they work well.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Good luck with the move and my house is all hardwood and tile in the areas that Chunky is allowed and we have no issues here. He does hit walls occasionally when playing too hard and has been going up the stairs since he was about 5 months on his own. I have the stairs blocked at the landing to keep him downstairs which is the only floor I am ever on so he usually doesn't go up anymore. There no place to block the stairs at the bottom without drilling holes.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have always had wooden floors everywhere with some rugs (with anti-slip rug pads underneath) and Castor has never had any problems. Two years ago, we moved from a flat to a townhouse with four storeys so Castor nowadays does a fair share of hopping up and down stairs. Before moving in, we bought carpet treads (self-adhesive, very easy to instal) and they work well for both humans and bulldogs.
carpet treads.JPG

For Castor, the move was not dramatic. We spent several weeks packing all our stuff so I suppose he realised something was going to happen, but he didn't seem to mind. We took him to see the new place once before we moved and then the morning of the day when we actually moved he went to my parents, and in the evening he came to the new house and just walked around and settled in directly.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think the stairs do have some sort of something on them. It sounds like I don't have to be paranoid about them running around on the floors and hurting themselves. I think I'm also just extra paranoid about stair use because of Jax and he is not allowed to use stairs anymore so I didn't know if I was going to have to worry about it affecting Louie down the road. Hopefully they adjust quickly!!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think the stairs do have some sort of something on them. It sounds like I don't have to be paranoid about them running around on the floors and hurting themselves. I think I'm also just extra paranoid about stair use because of Jax and he is not allowed to use stairs anymore so I didn't know if I was going to have to worry about it affecting Louie down the road. Hopefully they adjust quickly!!

He shouldn't have any issues going up the stairs but I would try being around him the first few times he goes down them

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He shouldn't have any issues going up the stairs but I would try being around him the first few times he goes down them

Jax has IVDD and his discs are dried up so I have to minimize his stair use as there is 15-25% chance of a recurrence of another disc herniating. So I think now I'm just paranoid about Louie using stairs cause I don't want him to have issues down the road. Maybe bulldogs aren't as susceptible to it at Frenchies???? I have no idea but will definitely look into it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Years ago my hub and I moved several times(with 5 dogs,2 cats,horses,etc.) The more "matter" of fact you are with the dogs, the easier they take it,usually getting their cues from you. My dogs have tile and wood floors, and very seldom fall, even when playing. Best of luck in your new home!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you able to take them to the house before you actually move in.... let them roam around and check the joint out? Banks, being Banks... we needed that time for her to 'inspect' the place. The week before we made settlement the house was done and empty so we asked to be able to get in... they allowed it and we let her and Cheli run around each room and inspect every nook and cranny of the house. So, when we moved in they were already aware and a little more settled.

Our entire 1st floor is all hardwood... does not impact them at all. I do have an area rug in the family room which is where they spend most of their time wrestling.

Stairs... I would carry Jax down all the time, up , MAY not be as much of a concern, but it is probably best to gate the stairs to prevent sneakiness. I never let any of my pups go down steps till they are over 6 months old... too much pounding on bones that are still growing. So, yes, they can be a load, but I always carry them down till they hit that 7 month mark

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Are you able to take them to the house before you actually move in.... let them roam around and check the joint out? Banks, being Banks... we needed that time for her to 'inspect' the place. The week before we made settlement the house was done and empty so we asked to be able to get in... they allowed it and we let her and Cheli run around each room and inspect every nook and cranny of the house. So, when we moved in they were already aware and a little more settled.

Our entire 1st floor is all hardwood... does not impact them at all. I do have an area rug in the family room which is where they spend most of their time wrestling.

Stairs... I would carry Jax down all the time, up , MAY not be as much of a concern, but it is probably best to gate the stairs to prevent sneakiness. I never let any of my pups go down steps till they are over 6 months old... too much pounding on bones that are still growing. So, yes, they can be a load, but I always carry them down till they hit that 7 month mark

That's an excellent idea! If all goes well I close tomorrow and we aren't fully moving in for another couple of weeks so I can definitely bring them over to scope things out.

And it sounds like a lot of people here have wood floors and it doesn't seem to be an issue so that is good. I already have a couple of area rugs so at least they will have something soft if they want it.

By the time we move, both kids will be back in school so they be alone for a few hours. Not sure yet where or how I'll confine them. Louie was confined in kitchen but new kitchen is more open to can't really close it off. Jax had free range but I won't trust him at the new house for awhile.

I definitely plan on gating off the stairs. Jax will definitely be carried up and down and Louie will just have to walk himself. And it's just the bedrooms upstairs so they won't be having to go up and down all day long.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's an excellent idea! If all goes well I close tomorrow and we aren't fully moving in for another couple of weeks so I can definitely bring them over to scope things out.

And it sounds like a lot of people here have wood floors and it doesn't seem to be an issue so that is good. I already have a couple of area rugs so at least they will have something soft if they want it.

By the time we move, both kids will be back in school so they be alone for a few hours. Not sure yet where or how I'll confine them. Louie was confined in kitchen but new kitchen is more open to can't really close it off. Jax had free range but I won't trust him at the new house for awhile.

I definitely plan on gating off the stairs. Jax will definitely be carried up and down and Louie will just have to walk himself. And it's just the bedrooms upstairs so they won't be having to go up and down all day long.

Tomorrow!?!?!? Awesome,,, best of luck

Members online

No members online now.