4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
OK so lately Dooley has developed something that is bothering him around his Tail area back there. I am not sure if it is some sort of pain/discomfort or something itching him. He will be fine one minute and the next he will take off running to his bed or the rug in the living room, only two places in the house that he can get grip with the hardwood floors, and tries to reach his "Tail area" turning in circles while his butt is on the floor. He will also try and back up to the wall or table as if hes trying to scratch it during this time. This is why I possibly think something is itching him. Its starting to frustrate him because hes starting to bark as hes spinning in circles. His hiney is clean from his bathroom duties so its not that and I keep the area around his tail, under it and fat roll on top, clean also. He does not have a tail pocket like other EBD's do. When one of these little episodes hit him, they usually last a couple seconds and hes back to being his goofy self. If I scratch back there around his tail he really seems to enjoy it and it seems to help him. He does not have fleas and have checked him when this happens just to cross that off the list. His anal glands are also clean and clear. Just had that checked at the vet last week.

Has anyone run into something similar to this? I hate seeing him bothered by whatever is going on. Could this possibly be a Tail issue itself? He has a button type tail that is wound up tight tight kinda like a pigs tail. Im starting to think its something with the actual tail muscle itself from being so tightly wound sota-speak.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be anal glands, but also make sure when cleaning the tail you get under neath real good... use witch hazel so it dries cause you do not want it to stay moist under there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If it's anal glands, you should try giving some canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling ) every day, about one tablespoonful. This will hopefully help empty anal glands by giving a bigger poo from the fibre.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If he has no tail pocket like mentioned....glands for sure.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Something is obviously bothering him. I doubt it's muscular. Most Bulldogs have some sort of tail pocket, most, not all. Some are so tight against the body that they cannot be easily found. Also, some twisted tails are twisted so tight that fingers cannot get in between the "coils". Try to work a strip of witch hazel soaked cloth into areas that are too tight for a finger. If none of this helps get him to your Vet and have them take a closer look.
Do you express the anal glands for him?
You mention a "fat roll on top"...is he a bit over weight? Can you see his back rib at the bottom of his rib cage when looking from above, his well-defined waist?

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I thought this could be a gland issue so I brought him last week to have them expressed. They (the vet) said he was all good and hardly anything came out when checking both sides. He does have a fat roll at the top of his tail where it meets his back and I do keep that area and under the tail cleaned pretty good with witch hazel. He is at a healthy weight for his size and you can see his last rib. The type of tail he has is all cork screwed into a tight ball kinda so that is what has me thinking its something with that. He will let me examine/clean his tail all I want but when I start trying to work a finger into the "coils" of the tail itself, he gets a little restless.

These two pics are all I have on my phone that show his tail somewhat. Ill snap a better one close up and post it so y'all can see in better detail what I am working with.

IMG-9684.JPGIMG-9683.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I thought this could be a gland issue so I brought him last week to have them expressed. They (the vet) said he was all good and hardly anything came out when checking both sides. He does have a fat roll at the top of his tail where it meets his back and I do keep that area and under the tail cleaned pretty good with witch hazel. He is at a healthy weight for his size and you can see his last rib. The type of tail he has is all cork screwed into a tight ball kinda so that is what has me thinking its something with that. He will let me examine/clean his tail all I want but when I start trying to work a finger into the "coils" of the tail itself, he gets a little restless.

I dont think I have a pic of his tail on my phone so when I get home later today Ill snap one and post it so y'all can see in better detail what I am working with.

Ahhhhh so if the vet said not the gland cause it's all cleared it would probably be the tail. As most knows Nyala has a tail pocket issue which I keep at bay with her essential oil mix. I need to do her tail ever 2 days. The first time when all this happened I thought was going deep enough. Well no I wasn't. You might think you're going deep but some tails go deeper like Nyala's. Be careful if you have big fingers not to hurt the your pup. You can always use longer q-tips. I wear gloves for sure, dip the baby wipes in the mix and the wipe will always have dog hair n dirt. Then I finish on the outside where here tailbones ends n go in between with the oil.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ahhhhh so if the vet said not the gland cause it's all cleared it would probably be the tail. As most knows Nyala has a tail pocket issue which I keep at bay with her essential oil mix. I need to do her tail ever 2 days. The first time when all this happened I thought was going deep enough. Well no I wasn't. You might think you're going deep but some tails go deeper like Nyala's. Be careful if you have big fingers not to hurt the your pup. You can always use longer q-tips. I wear gloves for sure, dip the baby wipes in the mix and the wipe will always have dog hair n dirt. Then I finish on the outside where here tailbones ends n go in between with the oil.

Yes! I had to do this for Banks tail .. always pulled out some fur or dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Whatever the issue...a good butt scratch is in order. Jewel and Bentley just love when I get home because I give them back and butt scratches.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hank will do that 'fine then run' thing occasionally and I KNOW I best get out my mix (helsonwheels formula) and as long as I have caught it in time, it's gone in two days. I THOUGHT I was getting deep enough in the past but find that theres that little bit more that I have to reach or hairs get stuck and poke him. Not necessarily infected or anything, just gota get cleared out and those oils WORK! Or, use the witch hasel or other suggestions.. Sounds like y9our doing a great job with her though. These guys are work ;/

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
**Small Update**

Last couple days Ive been cleaning under and around the tail a little better I guess you could say. Tail, skin and hair all look the same as far a color and whatnot goes but he seems to be less aggravated with whatever was going on. Maybe it was a couple hairs sticking him or the start of a small infection itching him that I could not see. Regardless he seems to be doing better in that department.

Thanks to you all for the ideas and suggestions.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
**Small Update**

Last couple days Ive been cleaning under and around the tail a little better I guess you could say. Tail, skin and hair all look the same as far a color and whatnot goes but he seems to be less aggravated with whatever was going on. Maybe it was a couple hairs sticking him or the start of a small infection itching him that I could not see. Regardless he seems to be doing better in that department.

Thanks to you all for the ideas and suggestions.

Glad to hear Dooley is doing better. We had Jewel's tail removed because of her tail pocket and is doing just fine. Now Bentley has a small tail pocket that is cleaned daily...in the summer twice daily.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Now Bentley has a small tail pocket that is cleaned daily...in the summer twice daily.

Ive been doing this nightly before bed and seems to be helping. He of course Loves it because you know, butt scratches..... :whistle:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ive been doing this nightly before bed and seems to be helping. He of course Loves it because you know, butt scratches..... :whistle:

Show me a bully that does not like butt scratches or belly rubs and I will show you that you are wrong.

Most Reactions