Input needed

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Daphne's birthday was last week. She turned one. I bought her a new pink tutu, a tiara and pink lei, but all festivities were cancelled as she became ill on Friday. The first sign was she refused to eat. Yes, fat Daphne refused to touch any food. She became lethargic. Again, hard to tell lethargy from regular super calm mellow Daphneness. She began drinking copious amounts of water followed by huge vomiting of clear water with a bit of foam. This is sort of her "I ate too many lizards" behavior, but much more intense. She had spent Friday afternoon hunting 'wizards' with the three and four year d boys next door. I figured she'd be fine on Saturday as it's usually an overnight stomach thing after Lizard hunting.
Saturday, refusing food again. Also water and vomiting, almost projectile. I removed food and water. Slept most of day. First time ever, she wanted in our bed not her crate. We let her. She was pretty restless and very clingy.
Sunday the same. Monday, 8 am called Sarasota Bulldog vet recommended here on forum. She was given 9 am appt. Exam and X-rays. No blockage of any kind, everything else normal. She was given a shot of Cerenia for vomiting. She has Cerenia 60mg x 1 daily for 7 days.
The rest of the day Monday she slept. She refused food. I just let her have a small amount of water every so often. Tried hand feeding her...no go. She put herself in her own crate for bed last night.
Today she appears slightly more alert. She refused food. I let her have about 1/2 cup of water. She had her pill with a piece of cheese. She hasn't thrown up yet.
The only upside to the whole thing is that we saw the Bulldog vet and he said she was, at 44lbs, not overweight. Her hips are perfect, great bone structure, perfect eyes, breathing fine etc. Evidently when my SIL weighed her last week and said 47lbs, he did the math wrong...whew.
So any input on Daphne's present situation would be appreciated.

PS: after Oscar Mayer's recent swallowed TV remote I figured Daphne had a blockage of some sort and am very relieved there was no more blockage. But still, I have no idea what's wrong with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh... you know my Wally went thru a vomiting stage, and he was put on meds. We never did find out what was going on, he just didn't feel right... almost like a stomach bug. He didn't eat for a couple of days, and I didn't push it. As longs as she's drinking water, maybe her tummy just needs a rest.

Did the vet say anything about her reactions to eating lizards? Are they poisonous? We have poisonous frogs here, but my two have never caught a lizard...

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Oh gosh... you know my Wally went thru a vomiting stage, and he was put on meds. We never did find out what was going on, he just didn't feel right... almost like a stomach bug. He didn't eat for a couple of days, and I didn't push it. As longs as she's drinking water, maybe her tummy just needs a rest.

Did the vet say anything about her reactions to eating lizards? Are they poisonous? We have poisonous frogs here, but my two have never caught a lizard...

She hasn't eaten or pooped since Friday. She struggled to try to poop this morning and couldn't. Her belly is distended and hard as a rock. We're heading back to the vet now.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It's hard to figure sometimes what's making them feel "off". Upset belly is no stranger to bulldogs. Giardia is one sickness(parasitic protozoan) that can cause vomiting and lethargy, although usually there is diarrhea too. Maybe the diarrhea has yet to come or may not come at all.
It could be that Daphne caught something that the lizards are carrying. I'm pretty sure that the only poisonous US lizard is a Gila...and some salamanders. Gilas are out west(southwest) in the desert area of the US and salamanders prefer damp wooded areas, under logs and near a fresh water source.
I hope she continues to feel better...I love my Daphne!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
She hasn't eaten or pooped since Friday. She struggled to try to poop this morning and couldn't. Her belly is distended and hard as a rock. We're heading back to the vet now.

Oh NO... keep us posted, I'm sending prayers!!!

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Oh NO... keep us posted, I'm sending prayers!!!

Just returned from vet. This time he ordered a full blood panel workup. He also prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg to try to increase her appetite. Simplest scenario...if she eats she might poop.

She refused her pill first wrapped in Provolone cheese, then in ham and finally embedded in s 1/2tsp of a cognac pâté'. It finally took me holding her head and husband prying open her jaws and straight up pilling her the old fashioned way. This is how I know she's really unwell. She normally would snuffle up that pill plain right out of our hands.

Blood work not back for 24 hrs Depending on blood work results maybe an ultrasound tomorrow. Right now she's hiding under the kitchen table. Again, so unlike her.

She was an absolute angel at the vets. She never flinched. She is very clingy though. I wish she could talk. Husband is being very sweet to her. I guess I'll keep him another twenty years or so...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I sure hope she gets better really fast
...worried about the little lady

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayers for poor little Daphne. I hope she will be okay and back to her happy self real soon!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sending positive thoughts and vibes. I hope you figure out what's wrong with Daphne.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just returned from vet. This time he ordered a full blood panel workup. He also prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg to try to increase her appetite. Simplest scenario...if she eats she might poop.

She refused her pill first wrapped in Provolone cheese, then in ham and finally embedded in s 1/2tsp of a cognac pâté'. It finally took me holding her head and husband prying open her jaws and straight up pilling her the old fashioned way. This is how I know she's really unwell. She normally would snuffle up that pill plain right out of our hands.

Blood work not back for 24 hrs Depending on blood work results maybe an ultrasound tomorrow. Right now she's hiding under the kitchen table. Again, so unlike her.

She was an absolute angel at the vets. She never flinched. She is very clingy though. I wish she could talk. Husband is being very sweet to her. I guess I'll keep him another twenty years or so...

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts for you sweet girl.. I so hope it is nothing serious. Give her a big hug from us

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
How is today going???? Good Lord what comes over these pups of ours :( Let us know when you can any new info. Hugs, and prayers

Members online

No members online now.