Has anyone used Royal Canin?

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
I've heard so many mixed opinions about the brand. My vet actually suggested it but ive heard not so good stories about it. Nacho is currently on Merricks which i heard is best. Is there anyone who actually uses Royal and can give me some feedback on it? Reviews on Chewy and every other website are pretty much 5 stars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've heard so many mixed opinions about the brand. My vet actually suggested it but ive heard not so good stories about it. Nacho is currently on Merricks which i heard is best. Is there anyone who actually uses Royal and can give me some feedback on it? Reviews on Chewy and every other website are pretty much 5 stars...

RC is total crap food.... fillers, grains and feathers. Some vet gets a kick back for selling it so be careful with that.

Look on dogfoodadvisor.com Merrick is a much better food for your baby

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Royal Canin is one of the brands many vets sell (at least here), and consequently a brand that vets might want to recommend. When Castor had some staph infection and ear infections, the vet thought it might be food allergy and recommended a special kind of Royal Canin called Hypoallergenic. Now, it didn't make any difference for Castor's allergy (if it indeed is allergy - we don't know) but it actually worked well with his sensitive tummy, and although we don't use it for food anymore, we used the remainers in the last bag as training treats for a long time. Castor likes it. So I wouldn't rule RC out completely. Many dogs do well on RC and on some other brands that not always get very high ratings.

If you want to try a high-quality kibble, you might want to look at Orijen or Acana, which are Canadian brands. Castor does fine on Orijen now as an adult but it was too rich for him when he was a pup, I think. Runny stools, and this is not what you want in a pup!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, addition to my post above: I think that RC might have different lists of ingredients in different parts of the world. I seem to remember that I compared US and European (for the Hypoallergenic, that is - it's a special veterinary diet version) and they were not the same.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
On the forum page read: Bulldog food and Nutrition [MENTION=17431]nachothebulldog[/MENTION]

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk is on RC since she was a pup. So far, she had done well with it. She is extremely healthy - according to the vet, heavily muscled - which helps with her hip dysplasia. I really think it a hit or miss. Some dogs do okay - some do not. There are a lot of good foods out there - sometimes a hard choice on which one. I started using RC because the size of the kibble - Punk would inhale and the bigger kibble makes her slow down. Now, if she does happen to get issues with it as she gets older - she is 8.5 year old, then I will not hesitate to try something new. I don't know if this helps any, but good luck with whichever food you do get. :)

OP
nachothebulldog

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Punk is on RC since she was a pup. So far, she had done well with it. She is extremely healthy - according to the vet, heavily muscled - which helps with her hip dysplasia. I really think it a hit or miss. Some dogs do okay - some do not. There are a lot of good foods out there - sometimes a hard choice on which one. I started using RC because the size of the kibble - Punk would inhale and the bigger kibble makes her slow down. Now, if she does happen to get issues with it as she gets older - she is 8.5 year old, then I will not hesitate to try something new. I don't know if this helps any, but good luck with whichever food you do get. :)

Very helpful! Thank you! Good to hear possitive feedback from someone who actually uses it!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's strange how dogs seem to do great on the dog foods with byproducts and fillers. Lots of dogs do great on foods like Royal Canin and Purina Pro Plan. My dogs were both on really inexpensive dog foods (Actr1um from Walmart Canada, and Purina Pro Plan) when I got them, and since then I have them both on raw dehydrated and you can't see any difference. However I anticipate less vet bills in the long run.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty was on RC when we got him. He had dry, flaky skin, rough coat and goopy eyes. I changed foods (we have had a few changes!) and we haven't had a problem with his skin since. He will still get goopy eyes sometimes from allergies. I am with [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION], anticipating the better food to pay off but also knowing I am giving him a good quality food now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Zipped lips.jpeg

Im done repeating..... lollll

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my guys were on Royal Canin from the breeder when I brought them home, but based on the list of ingredients, I switched them to Fromms Puppy Gold until they were 7 months old, and then I put them on Fromms. My female Blossom is still on Fromms, but My male Bulldozer is allergic to 7 proteins , and I've switched his foods many many times. Currently he is on Narural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble for two weeks, and then he gets Peformatrin Limited Ingredient Venison kibble the other two weeks. I'm hoping by alternating his food, he won't develop an allergy to the Venison.
The natural Balance and another food I tried which he did okay on was Nutro, and these foods are only rated as a 3 Star Food, which aren't the best, but work for him. I used to stress about feeding him a lower quality food, but they work for him, so I have to use them. We do our best to feed them the best, but it doesn't always agree with them, or they don't tolerate it, so we do the best we can with what works for them. Every dog is different in what they can tolerate.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.