Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
https://youtu.be/k1dLaVPqAEo

Ranger doesn't always breathe this way, unless of course he's exerted himself and he does the "typical bully" loud mouth breathing. But, today he's occasionally came to me and gave me his paw (which is always to say "mom, I need you now) He'll go from regular closed mouth breathing to this heavy open mouth breathing. He hasn't been over exerting himself today and it's rained most of the day, so he's been inside all day. Maybe it's nothing and I'm just being an overly worried momma. Just curious if anyone else's baby does/has done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It sounds extremely normal to me... both of my bullies had the elongated pallet surgery, and they still sound like that occasionally. Sometimes if the humidity is high my guys will breathe louder than normal, from zero physical exertion... Lol

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Thank you so much!! I assumed I was over reacting, as per usual ����

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
that is familiar to me and for us i 'think' it's when it's muggy out. he'll do that then just go lay down, or look out the door, and then go lay down ... more of a bordom type thing. But of course, if theres more too it with Ranger, its friday of course so get him checked if the need is felt ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ears pinned, no exertion... could be discomfort or pain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
That's completely normal...

For a bulldog that wants his paw rubbed...

And wants to go shark fishing with Chip.

It's only about 16 hours drive and he'll be all better.

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Is this "normal" breathing to y'all?

Thank you all for your replies. I honestly wouldn't know what to do without this forum and the great advice of everyone here.
Update:
He continued a couple more times to do the same thing and it just didn't feel "okay" to me. I was on the phone with my vet (who is the ABSOLUTE best!) when Ranger began to heave violently as if he was going to throw up. Which he's never done. Ever. Before I could put the phone down and grab him,he vomited and passed out. My vet said to immediately put him in the car and meet her at the office (which is a 5-6min drive) he was lifeless y'all. After exam and X-rays the diagnosis is aspirational pneumonia due to vomit. He is doing "okay" now but it's very, very bad. You cannot even see his left lung on X-ray due to so much fluid. He is stable and on a TON of meds, oxygen tent and getting supportive care. We have no idea what caused the nausea, upset stomach or vomit as we've changed NOTHING at all. As most of you know this is very bad and can take a very long time to recover from. We need y'all. Our pack. Please, pray for my sweet boy. We are so worried for him. Thank you all.

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Ears pinned, no exertion... could be discomfort or pain...

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] you were dead on. He was in pain and uncomfortable [emoji24]

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
that is familiar to me and for us i 'think' it's when it's muggy out. he'll do that then just go lay down, or look out the door, and then go lay down ... more of a bordom type thing. But of course, if theres more too it with Ranger, its friday of course so get him checked if the need is felt ;)
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] thank you for your advice, as always I appreciate it so much.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dayum! That's terrible! I hope your little guy gets through this quickly. Does your Vet think that he may have had something going on prior to him vomiting? I'm praying for Ranger...get well soon little buddy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez what a turn around that was. Sure sounded normal on the video. Sending positive vibes your way Ranger!!! You got this!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Oh no...poor Ranger. I'm so glad you were able to get him to the vet so quickly. Sending positive thoughts for a for a quick recovery.

Hang in there cutie pie!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Good Morning From Me and Ellie.

Hope the Ranger Man is starting to get better!!

Lots of Love me and Ellie!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How is Ranger getting along? I so hope he's doing OK.

Most Reactions