PLEASE help? Vet recommends surgery - Cherry eye in both eyes - reoccurring eye infections - expensive surgery

7777777eh

Aug 17, 2017
Ontario Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lizzie and Mason
I'm sincerely hoping for some advice!
We adopted our first English bulldog when she was 2 1/2, she is now 10 yrs old. We have now adopted a male, he is 10 months old now and are having issues with him that we never had before with our other bulldog. The biggest issue is that he has cherry eye in both eyes and is getting reoccurring eye infections that we cannot seem to clear up with the medications from the vet. We are a low income family so it is getting quite expensive. The vet said they can remove his cherry eyes and that should solve the problem however the cost is $600-$800! I am hoping to find a vet that can do it for less or at least take monthly payments?....We live in Burlington Ontario
The pic attached doesn't show it at its worst, it got way worse and now both eyes :(:(

Attachments

• IMG_7610.JPG
    IMG_7610.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 189

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Awww the way we love our bully's is something not many ppl understand I am 100% working class I saved every dime I made for months to get my bulldog and vet opointments do get expensive I don't have any experience with cherry eye I just wanted to let u know that ur not the only one who has to worry about the cost of care but we bulldog owners are very stubborn and we always find a way to get the best care for our baby's no matter what I wish u the best of luck and stay strong thing will work out

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy is he gorgeous!! I know there are a few here who have dealt with this and can help you out on costs estimations,,,, but, different vets different costs, area etc. I do know that whenever a bulldog 'goes under' anesthesia, they should have a bulldog vet as too much can go wrong. Best of luck.. and mabie there will be other solutions..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a handsome boy.... ask your vet office if they take 'care credit'. It is an interest free way of making payments

600-800$ i think is about right for the procedure
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
What a handsome boy.... ask your vet office if they take 'care credit'. It is an interest free way of making payments

600-800$ i think is about right for the procedure
@ddnene @Manydogs @oscarmayer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh absolutely... especially up in Canada, things are way more expensive.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bulldog Veterinarians in Canada @7777777eh I am not familiar with your location,but here is a list. Maybe you can get prices. I have gotten personal loans to pay for dog surgery. Beg your vet to make payments, If he trusts you,he may do it. Do not give up. Where there is a will-there is a way!!:yes:

Home / Bulldog Veterinarians
Click the province / state you would like to view Bulldog Veterinarian listings for:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
$6-800 is a steal. There is nothing unreasonable about that price. You will likely not find a better deal.
Your new boy is very handsome.
Be advised that 2 Bulldogs and "low income family" do not mix well in most instances. Bulldogs can be very expensive to maintain. Any dog can be expensive to maintain. Bulldogs are more likely to require a higher level of care.
The cherry eye surgeryyour Vet is recommending will take care of his issues but may also(probably)require daily drops or ointment to treat post surgical dry eye...forever.

Members online

No members online now.