Intense loud breathing/snorting after dog park trip! Normal?

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Took Walt to the dog park for like 15 minutes and he sounds like he's going to die lol with all the intense breathing and snorting, still trying to catch his breath 20 minutes later. It was hard for him to take water because if how heavy he was breathing. So i dont know if this is normal? When should i worry? How can i avoid this from turning into a problem?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Took Walt to the dog park for like 15 minutes and he sounds like he's going to die lol with all the intense breathing and snorting, still trying to catch his breath 20 minutes later. It was hard for him to take water because if how heavy he was breathing. So i dont know if this is normal? When should i worry? How can i avoid this from turning into a problem?

Not sure where you live but if its too hot, avoid dog parks. Nyala plays hard especially with her pitty cousins whom are bigger than her. But she doesn't stop n drains them. I have to give her time out. Duke is only 6 months n him to both play hard and like yours heavy breathing, a lot of snorting and 30mins still panting. They drink tons of water but not much you can do but calm them down in a cool place. From what I noticed its more the weather thats going to give them issues. Why I asked if its hot where you live.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
It's been hot during the day, relatively, im in so cal, but we waited until it was cooled off. I should add he didnthat on a walk i took him on too, also same cool temperature but it was just around the block! Just worried about his stamina. This dog park wasnt no regular dog park thats gated. Its like a huge field with grass and trails for a couple blocks wide. There is a big hill to walk to leave and enter but he sounded soooo bad! Like he was saying owew owew owww owww owww owww!! Snort snort snort etc lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sounds like he may of gotten overheated... as a general rule, I don't walk my dogs unless the temp is around 75 or below. If it's super hot, I keep our outside time to around 15 min... of course this depends on what they are doing. Most of my bullies would get OVER excited at the dog parks, and I stopped going years ago.

If you feel like his breathing is NOT normal you can have his palette checked by a vet. Both of the bulldogs I have now had elongated pallets and during their eyes surgeries I had them trimmed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If there's a big hill to walk he's probably out of breTh as it's still an effort even though it's within your 15mins walk. Like mentioned overheating dont take much. Just a couple minutes. Yes a vet check is a good idea. Also, is he overweight?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
SO CAL?!! it's may be cool for people, but still too hot for him and extremely dangerous. Bulldogs cannot effectively cool themselves and cannot supply themselves with enough oxygen during exercise, their airways are narrow and obstructed with wrinkles, similar to ones you see on their outside. And dogs dont sweat, so the only way of cooling down is to pant. So, exercising them in hot weather you face two major dangers : overheating and death of blood clotting OR lack of oxygen for heart muscle and heart attack. Bulldogs start panting during walk in temperatures over 15 degrees Celsius ( sorry don't know in Fahrenheit).
If you want to understand how your bulldog feels, you can try to put on fur coat and go for a brisk walk outside, walk uphill, it will be even better if you close your mouth with hand and pinch one nostril, leaving only one nostril to breathe. Remember, he walks not 1 m 60 cm and higher like we do, but 20 cm high from the hot soil, where there is no air movement to cool him, and temperature of air 20 cm over the soil level is probably 10 degrees higher than we get!
That's how bulldog feels in summer. So, taking him to an outside playground is extremely dangerous, even in the evening, because soil is still very hot in the evening. This summer already 3 members of EBN lost their dogs due to heat. During hot summer time bulldogs are taken outside only for potty, the rest of the day they must stay in air conditioned places.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Sounds like he may of gotten overheated... as a general rule, I don't walk my dogs unless the temp is around 75 or below. If it's super hot, I keep our outside time to around 15 min... of course this depends on what they are doing. Most of my bullies would get OVER excited at the dog parks, and I stopped going years ago.

If you feel like his breathing is NOT normal you can have his palette checked by a vet. Both of the bulldogs I have now had elongated pallets and during their eyes surgeries I had them trimmed.

Oh thank you!! That is helpful! Ill do that next time were at the vet.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
If there's a big hill to walk he's probably out of breTh as it's still an effort even though it's within your 15mins walk. Like mentioned overheating dont take much. Just a couple minutes. Yes a vet check is a good idea. Also, is he overweight?

Ok. He'll be 2 end of december, and he's not overweight. You can see his ribs he's like 47 pounds.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
SO CAL?!! it's may be cool for people, but still too hot for him and extremely dangerous. Bulldogs cannot effectively cool themselves and cannot supply themselves with enough oxygen during exercise, their airways are narrow and obstructed with wrinkles, similar to ones you see on their outside. And dogs dont sweat, so the only way of cooling down is to pant. So, exercising them in hot weather you face two major dangers : overheating and death of blood clotting OR lack of oxygen for heart muscle and heart attack. Bulldogs start panting during walk in temperatures over 15 degrees Celsius ( sorry don't know in Fahrenheit).
If you want to understand how your bulldog feels, you can try to put on fur coat and go for a brisk walk outside, walk uphill, it will be even better if you close your mouth with hand and pinch one nostril, leaving only one nostril to breathe. Remember, he walks not 1 m 60 cm and higher like we do, but 20 cm high from the hot soil, where there is no air movement to cool him, and temperature of air 20 cm over the soil level is probably 10 degrees higher than we get!
That's how bulldog feels in summer. So, taking him to an outside playground is extremely dangerous, even in the evening, because soil is still very hot in the evening. This summer already 3 members of EBN lost their dogs due to heat. During hot summer time bulldogs are taken outside only for potty, the rest of the day they must stay in air conditioned places.

Wow.... very helpful to understand the issue. Thank you. Just for the record, i know its been crazy hot lately, but its cooling down so by the evening i was pretty cold so i thought it would be fine. He's been couped up all summer, begging to get out! Lol just feel bad for him that he cant go outside much.

Your post was very helpful and RIP to the other 3 members dogs :(

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Wow.... very helpful to understand the issue. Thank you. Just for the record, i know its been crazy hot lately, but its cooling down so by the evening i was pretty cold so i thought it would be fine. He's been couped up all summer, begging to get out! Lol just feel bad for him that he cant go outside much.

Yes, I'm in so cal as well and last eve was even chili!!! loved it, and Hank, who isn't suppose to be haling ..... (hahaha, I wont say what came to mind i'll just say Butt instead,,, he was just neutered) himself around anyway for a bit, took off like a bat outta heck and ran the yard like he hasn't seen air for months!!! Yes, it's been hot but the cooling off is coming along nicly. Just be so very carful even here, as like was noted, 3 that we know of have been lost just this summer and it breakes my heart.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Yes, I'm in so cal as well and last eve was even chili!!! loved it, and Hank, who isn't suppose to be haling ..... (hahaha, I wont say what came to mind i'll just say Butt instead,,, he was just neutered) himself around anyway for a bit, took off like a bat outta heck and ran the yard like he hasn't seen air for months!!! Yes, it's been hot but the cooling off is coming along nicly. Just be so very carful even here, as like was noted, 3 that we know of have been lost just this summer and it breakes my heart.

Haha, hey neighbor! Yeah he runs out to go pee, then runs in because the ground is too hot for his paws but when it cools off he begs to play and goes nuts about it.

Yeah that is incredibly sad. :( i dont know what id do if i lost my little guy so i cant imagine what pain the owners are experiencing.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, I can imagine how he misses some active time and playing with other doggies. My Tank is also extremely fit and active, in winter he walks with me at least 5 km every day, but sorry, in summer he has to be locked inside:( sometimes very early in the morning around 5 o'clock if his lazy mother (me) wakes up, we drive to a nearby forest and walk for a half an hour or so, while it is still coolish and morning dew is still there, so his tummy and paws are nice and wet.
Im sorry if I sounded too aggressive, but these poor bullies are so frail and we have to watch them like hawks.
P.S. Good sign you can use to decide if panting is still ok or situation is turning wrong is colour of the tongue - good sign if it is pink like ham, but if it turns dark red and purple, then it is getting dangerous. Another sign of overheating is extremely hot ears. Touch them when he is calm, they are cool. But when it is hot, blood circulation in ears becomes intensive, because ear is thin and ear (and paw pads) is an organ that helps dogs to cool themselves.
Also in case of the sounds you describe, it is safer to put a tiny bit of lemon juice in his mouth to loosen his saliva ( in process of panting it turns into foam that blocks throat); fill a polyethylene bag with ice and put it under his belly, also you can put another small bag of ice on his ears. Or put him in a bath or shower with cool water.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt

Also one more thing... my bully isnt neutered. I wonder if that would make it worse since they get less active? He foams at the mouth like crazy when i take him out walking, to the part or even just give him a treat. You think it would be reduced with neutering or how i can reduce that? It is pretty bad? The foam is very bad like a damn bubble bath always wiping it off there are towels nearby everywhere for drool, for when he drinks and for excessive foam.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Also one more thing... my bully isnt neutered. I wonder if that would make it worse since they get less active? He foams at the mouth like crazy when i take him out walking, to the part or even just give him a treat. You think it would be reduced with neutering or how i can reduce that? It is pretty bad? The foam is very bad like a damn bubble bath always wiping it off there are towels nearby everywhere for drool, for when he drinks and for excessive foam.

Good to know he's not over weight n active. Good job on that! Neutered or not, it's hot where you guys are. Like most said keep him in a bit longer. September's around the corner. Nyala n Duke are extremely active and they practically live outside (I work from home) till it gets hot. They got a pool n all but if it's 20cel above, they are in. This is Canada so same rule for winter if its too cold, inside as some days here in Alberta ive had -50cel!!! Crap I dont even go out lolll.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As far as I know, neutering has no impact on drooling, some dogs drool more and some drool less, and some...well...A LOT. All dogs drool more when they are excited, e.g. whenthey go for a walk or if they are hot. And when he starts panting fast, all saliva is whisked, that's where foam comes from.
Neutering can definitely decrease his activity, but you cannot predict to what degree, and you must weigh all pro and contra of neutering. If neutering will make him significantly lazier, he will most probably get extra weight, and extra weight causes airways to become even more narrow. So, I doubt that neutering can help with heat tolerance.

Members online

No members online now.