Wierd Encounter This Evening

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
I took Miley for a walk around the block this evening and had an encounter with a guy that made me very uncomfortable.
As we were passing the local park at the end of our street a man approached me, pointed to Miley and said, "Nice looking dog!." I politely said thank you and kept walking as I explained Miley is afraid of strangers and I instantly had a bad vibe about the guy. He walked along beside us and asked how much a dog like Miley costs. I told him it depended on where the dog came from and suggested he look into a rescue. Then he says, "At least a couple thousand huh?" I tried to be polite but like I said I was getting more and more uncomfortable by the minute. It was just Miley and I and I was only about 7 houses away from our house. Then he goes, "Do you live on this street?" And I went against everything I am and said, :no: "No I live three streets down" and pointed the complete opposite direction from my house.
My gut instinct was get away from him as quickly as possible, I did just that. I've never been as paranoid as I have been since coming home. I even bypassed our house and then doubled back and then finally came home. Miley doesn't go outside without me and knowing there are people like that around here, she never will. The whole thing has me feeling like this > :w00t:
Maybe I over reacted but I'm thinking, better safe than sorry.

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
I took Miley for a walk around the block this evening and had an encounter with a guy that made me very uncomfortable.
As we were passing the local park at the end of our street a man approached me, pointed to Miley and said, "Nice looking dog!." I politely said thank you and kept walking as I explained Miley is afraid of strangers and I instantly had a bad vibe about the guy. He walked along beside us and asked how much a dog like Miley costs. I told him it depended on where the dog came from and suggested he look into a rescue. Then he says, "At least a couple thousand huh?" I tried to be polite but like I said I was getting more and more uncomfortable by the minute. It was just Miley and I and I was only about 7 houses away from our house. Then he goes, "Do you live on this street?" And I went against everything I am and said, :no: "No I live three streets down" and pointed the complete opposite direction from my house.
My gut instinct was get away from him as quickly as possible, I did just that. I've never been as paranoid as I have been since coming home. I even bypassed our house and then doubled back and then finally came home. Miley doesn't go outside without me and knowing there are people like that around here, she never will. The whole thing has me feeling like this > :w00t:
Trust your gut...its usually right[emoji51] Be careful!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well im glad you did just what you did! I love my neighborhood (well in some ways) but, i rarly walk with hank close to home. I drive to take him for walks when im in town here, and am lucky We have two homes where i feel free to walk and talk to anyone in my other home. This will sound paranoid as well but,,,,,,,, One of the reasons im glad i had him neutered is because he may appear more valuable with 'those things' and i have been approached for a 'breeding' when out walking and it's with pits... I love Pits, but there is no way in heck was i wanting anyone to know that they could take him and make money off him so,,,, when those things shrink up, i'll feel better. I would just die if he got stolen!! Anyway, i hope you get to still walk in comfort.. Things like this just piss me off no end as it makes us feel vulnerable. AND, mabie it was just friendly conversation,, so sorry if im making it bigger than it was. It's just that i felt some fear for ya.... just be cautious! Say to stay back she BITES! She's a guard dog or something ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Pam, you did the right thing! You cant go wrong when you listen to your gut!! Try walking with a friend that also has a dog if can. I walk very early in the mornings 630 or 7a.m. as everyone is going to work. (I work from home) and its cooler. Became a habit as I had a 115lb GS and people would cross the street instead. For me, i find it easier when it's earlier.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
You did exactly the right thing. Not letting him know where you live was an excellent move. It's sad when a person can't walk a dog without being stalked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh jeez SCARY !!!!!! I would have done the exact same thing!!!!! Keep your eyes open for that guy please, if you see him around there again maybe tell someone.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You absolutely DID the right thing... bulldogs are one of the most stolen breeds in the US!!! I'm extremely cautious about who knows where we live, and when my dogs are outside either one of us are out w/them or I leave the backdoor open so I can hear them.

When people ask weird or what I consider RUDE questions, I call them out on it... I will blatantly state that is absolutely NONE of your business!!! Asking where you live or how much you paid for your dog... REALLY?!! :nono:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
You were right! As for being paranoid, better safe than sorry. I don't like it if people see Monty when I have to answer the door! He is never alone outside but I still worry that someone might break in and take him! It happens unfortunately.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I agree 100% u did the right thing the questions that guy was asking would make any bulldog owner feel uncomfortable and I would have done exactly what u did maybe from now on take a cell phone with u and if u see that guy again call the police I am sorry that happened to u hopefully u will never see him again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Holy crap! You were 100% correct... how incredibly scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17420]Luvn Miley[/MENTION] Yes, the self defense teachers always say "go with your gut...." You did the right thing! Glad all went well thank goodness.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Yikes!! Yeah that would have scared me too! I don't understand why a TOTAL STRANGER would think it's okay to ask how much you paid for your dog? Seriously?? That would have been a huge red flag for me too. People make me so nervous. My husband and I went to Florida to visit family a couple months back. My dad has a female Australian Shepherd/Catahoula mix, that is super aggressive with other females, so anytime we went over to his house we'd have to leave our girls at the hotel. I tell ya, I've never felt more nervous my whole entire life. I had to leave & check on them every hour on the hour! Too many shady people lurking about that place.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.