nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Hi I have an 8 week old EB, I wanted to ask if these things are pretty normal:

1. He sleeps-- A LOT! I MEAN A LOT! He wakes up, eats, poops and then SLEEPS! And sleeps and sleeps and sleeps! He plays for a bit sometimes and then SLEEPS!

2. His breeder had him on royal canin, i gradually switched him to Merricks puppy food. All week (had him for 5 days now) I slowly switched him over, today he got to eating 1/4 cup of royal and 1 cup of Merricks (mixed), he ate it for breakfast and lunch, he pooped fine but at 5pm he went to poo and it was mostly fine but the last ammount looked waterry, like diarrhea :(is this okay? Did i switch too quick? Because i was planning on giving him 100% MERRICKS tomorrow.

3. Sometimes he gets this "hickup" like thing going on, but the hicup is literally every two seconds. Anyome familiar with that?

4.Hes starting to GROWL AT ME!!! Is this normal??

Any tips on potty trainning are appreciated!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! PLEASE AND THANK YOU SO MUCh!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
wellllllll, I havent had one that young for a while but......... I do know when they get to much food, the first can come out ok but the last comes out undigested as it's just to much. Many here will have good advice on this one though...

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Yes! I agree on the pooping. I was feeding Bella too much when we first got her! Her poo was hard and normal then got more and more soft then watery. Unfortunately it took me a few days and LOTS (and I mean LOTS) of diarrhea..... she had me up every hour or two at night trying to make it outside quick enough to go. I was looking up everything I could think of on the internet. I thought she was sick and that scared me half to death. Thank goodness it was as simple as feeding her less! Lol

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I'm not much help on the puppy issues because I've mostly only had rescues or rehomed ones that were a bit older. That being said, they do sleep a lot..most of them anyway. Maybe the growling is his way of playing, just depends on the growl. Is he growling during play or when excited? If so, I would say that's normal.

Hick ups may be from eating too much or too fast. :confused: He's a handsome lil guy!

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Colossus sometimes had runny poo at the end, I just cut back his food a bit and seemed to work. I dont see an issue there, just keep an eye on it. Plus, with the transition might just be getting used to it. Again, watch it.

Sleep - yes, this breed is sleepers. Colossus will normally go about 20 hours a day it seems.

Growling - see if he needs to go outside, wants to play, etc. Or if its out of the blue, just say NO, or shoosh or something. Sometimes its nothing, sometimes its testing, mostly its probably just pay attention to me.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
---

---

Regarding the growling, my guess is that the little nacho wants to play. Teething problems may lead to unwanted chewing (bulldog pups have stark teeth) so make sure you are one step ahead and play with him in a way that teaches him how to behave. Play in order to socialize, in other words.

We used empty paper rolls and Castor's food.We put one or even half a piece of kibble in a paper roll which we then 'closed' (just fold the open ends so the kibble stays in the roll) and with such toys we played several times every day the first month or so. We hid the rolls and helped him search for them; he would get to play with them as a reward when we taught him 'sit' and 'come here' etc. We then stopped using paper rolls when he got older as we didn't want him to associate cardboard with play/food, but those rolls (toilet paper rolls & kitchen paper rolls) were really good. We actually didn't have a lot of 'real' dog toys as those paper rolls worked so well. Now, if you use such paper rolls, you need to watch over Nacho all the time - he shouldn't eat the cardboard of course, just have fun ripping the roll open to get the great. Castor is not a hard chewer or an aggressive player so for us this worked very well. I suppose a tough dog might need more substantial toys, but nonetheless, playing / teaching them very actively during the first months I think is a good way of socializing pups.

And regarding the potty training, just lift him out once an hour and play with him outdoors until he goes. He will get it but it will take two months or so. We got Castor in early summer when he was 9 weeks and by the end of the summer I would say he was potty trained.

Lycilizzy

Oct 17, 2016
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Oh my gosh. I remember when Lucy would just pass out in the middle of playing! It was like one minute she was running around and the next minute she was cashed out cold. They are still just babies at this age.

Potty training. We hung a set of jingle bells at our back door. At this age, a puppy needs to go out every time they eat, and every time they wake up basically. I would take Lucy to the door, ring the bells, and then take her outside. It didn't take her long to catch on that ringing the bell meant going outside. We also have her a treat every time we came in from outside and she went potty out there. Now, sometimes she would ring the bell, run outside, come back in and expect a treat. These are smart dogs! Lol.

As for growling, Yes, look for signs of needing to go out, or just wanting your attention.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi I have an 8 week old EB, I wanted to ask if these things are pretty normal:

1. He sleeps-- A LOT! I MEAN A LOT! He wakes up, eats, poops and then SLEEPS! And sleeps and sleeps and sleeps! He plays for a bit sometimes and then SLEEPS!

2. His breeder had him on royal canin, i gradually switched him to Merricks puppy food. All week (had him for 5 days now) I slowly switched him over, today he got to eating 1/4 cup of royal and 1 cup of Merricks (mixed), he ate it for breakfast and lunch, he pooped fine but at 5pm he went to poo and it was mostly fine but the last ammount looked waterry, like diarrhea :(is this okay? Did i switch too quick? Because i was planning on giving him 100% MERRICKS tomorrow.

3. Sometimes he gets this "hickup" like thing going on, but the hicup is literally every two seconds. Anyome familiar with that?

Any tips on potty trainning are appreciated!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! PLEASE AND THANK YOU SO MUCh!!!

How are things going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nachothebulldog

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Things are better. He had his first vet visit and I was told he was pretty healthy. He also said all these things I'm worried about are pretty normal and they will go as he grows.

How are things going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
OK my Chevy is 16 wks old so I just went threw this the sleeping thing is normal trust me in a couple wks u will wish he would sleep like that again lol the growling is normal he or she is finding her his little voice hiccups are completely normal Chevy got them every time he ate and got full lol and the next poo may be runny if so I would just go ahead and switch him because if he already has dirreaha mize well go ahead and get it over with and the switch may have been a little fast but he will adjust and if it gets worse just make sure he has plently of water and my vet said if it lasts 7 days to contact him but it usually streightens up after 4 and don't do what I did and try to fix it by going back to his her old food and starting over trust me I learned the hard way only makes it worse n then u have to go threw it all over again I hope this helps and I am not trying to sound blunt or anything just in a hurry I hope u all have a great day together and enjoy the puppy days they go fast ur next post will b help my puppy never sleeps and tries to chew me to death or at least mine was lol would love to see pics of ur new baby we all love puppy pics

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.