11 week old puppies and water/house training

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
I've read a lot about taking puppies out every hour at first. Josie and jack are 11.5 weeks and 11 weeks old. We use 2 xpens for a play area. Sometimes we make them 2 individual pens if they are playing extra rough and need a little "personal space" ;)

We have been leaving water out u till 7/8pm. We are in Texas so it's hot! My little girl, Josie can't make it anywhere close to an hour when she's up and playing etc. Would it be ok to take the water bowl up a few times a day just to give house training a chance? #2 is going well as I can predict that well after eating and a gazzilion trips outside to potty.

Any advice would be appreciated. It's been awhile since we had a puppy let alone 2!

Master Nappers ������
Jack
IMG_5613.JPGIMG_5627.JPG
Josie
IMG_5541.JPGIMG_5487.JPG

Instagram [MENTION=5877]Josie[/MENTION]andjack_the_bulldogs

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, super cute pups!

I would not limit a dog's access to drinking water.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Awww pretty pups and I take my Chevy's water up at 6 and I take him outside about every 30 mins at first until he understood no potting in the house and I always kept a puppy pad close to where he played and spent most of his time so if he couldn't make it outside he had an alternative and to save my carpet n now we r working on going strictly out side he is 16 wks old now and he is doing great with this hope this helps

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I think I'm the only one around who LOVES (well loved) potty pads. I wish Hank would still use actually. If you travel at all with your dog, it's the most handy thing to have 'for' them as I think sometimes, when in a motel or condo or someones house, they may not understand the way to get out during the night. I guess if you crate that would solve but.............. when I had my shih tzus, they went nearly everywhere with me and I could plop a pad down in the bathroom of anywhere, and IF they had to they would use. We were just at a condo with 6 yes SIX flights of stairs that when this boy, at 2,3 4 or whenever am, he wanted out, I would have loved to let him just go pee or even poop right on that pad but nope, had to hoist myself and him down the stairs into the darkest of nights and let him go.. He has 'neat' poops so could just be flushed. anyway, even my Tzus would use the out of doors preferably, but if I took off to church or anything and got waylaid, and they had the need, they never had to hold it on my behalf. I loved that. This was quit scrambled up, but hope I got my point over just as a thought to possibly be handy.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Цabsolutely agree with you about pee pads, great help for potty training! We had a plastic toilet with pads ( toilet prevents them from eating pads) till Tank was 5-6 months old and if he had an urgent need, he peed there. Also cool when you travel and stop in hotel. May be you should try them, it's a great back up in addition to regular taking them out!
puppies understand quick how to use them, you just need to put them on the pad right after you take them out of bed, and keep gently on the pad until they pee and then praise and give a treat. In 2 days they will understand what is it for.

This is it

https://www.amazon.com/ANYPET-Pet-I...TF8&qid=1502664853&sr=8-6&keywords=Dog+toilet

OP
3bugsmom

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
Thank you for posting the link to the "toilet". We had been using the pee pads but they just pulled them around ��

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Cute pups you have there. I picked up Chunky at 12 weeks and spent a lot of time taking him outside during the day. Usually at around an hour or two and as soon as he woke up or right after he played some. As soon as I fed him we would go for a short walk and didn't come back in until he went

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not restrict water.... stay on a tight schedule as others recommend and as a guideline... take out immediately after play sessions end or just waking up. And, remember they can only hold it one hour more than months old. So, if two months old then three hours is a limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online