Anyone with experience in soft-palate corrective surgery?

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
Hello to all. I'm new here and kind of looking for some answers and some support from those who have experience. My male recently underwent corrective surgery for his elongated soft-palate, closed nares, and removal of little 'sack like things' in the airway. He was suffering from some inflamation to his upper airway before the surgery. It has now been 4 days since the surgery and his upper airway is still inflamed and mostly obstructed. He is force to breathe through this mouth with does not allow him to sleep. He stayed in the hospital for four days post-surgery. Doc said we'll just have to wait it out. Meanwhile, he has lost 13 pounds, doesn't want to eat, and has difficulty with his oral meds. Its as bad as my children being severely sick. Does anyone have experience with this kind of inflamation post-surgery and how long did it take for your bulldog to be able to breathe though his nose again? Thank you.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Hmm. I am really sorry to hear he is going through this. Monty had his palate and nares done and I am pleased to say, sailed through it. Did a bully vet do the surgery or your local vet? Just curious. Personally, I would be very concerned about the 'wait it out' attitude as he is obviously suffering and that is a pretty drastic weight loss. He must be miserable and stressed out. My advice would be to get a second opinion pronto.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Ulfberht I totally agree with @1Chumly I would see another vet a.s.a.p. this certainly does not sound right, and actually could be an emergency situation.
I do not have experience with this particular surgery-but I would not wait any longer! [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] @2BullyMama they have had experience with palate and saccule surgery. Hopefully they will respond. Meanwhile,do not waste time getting you baby to a vet!

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
This surgeon has a lot of experience with bulldogs. He has been to 3 vets (including his regular vet who knows bulldogs). According to my surgeon, he said that we could go the temporary tracheostomy route but I really wanted to avoid that. Everyone is telling me that he is just recovering very slowly. If he is not showing improvement by Monday, we will be bringing him back in to the hospital for sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This surgeon has a lot of experience with bulldogs. He has been to 3 vets (including his regular vet who knows bulldogs). According to my surgeon, he said that we could go the temporary tracheostomy route but I really wanted to avoid that. Everyone is telling me that he is just recovering very slowly. If he is not showing improvement by Monday, we will be bringing him back in to the hospital for sure.

Wonder if a vaporizer would help at all... can you call and ask the vet? Are they aware of the weight loss?

Also-- pills, try vanilla ice cream -- it is easy to swallow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear Ulfberht is having problems post surgery. I would definitely take him back to the hospital - this doesn't sound right.

Castor went through soft palate and nares surgery when he was 1.5 They reduced his soft palate and widened the nares, but I don't think they did anything with the sack-like things (not sure what that is - tonsils?). He stayed at the hospital for one night and although he threw up and was tired for a day or two after coming home, the improvement was immediate and he breathed through his nose the day after surgery when he came home. What you describe sounds very different from our experience. Castor couldn't eat his normal food for some time but he did eat rise and boiled chicken, and he took his meds (something to help against the nausea and I think antibiotics - no pain meds).

Best wishes to Ulfberht and please keep us posted.

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
I'll definetly keep the vanilla ice cream in mind. Seems the only foods he will eat is pizza and fried chicken. We successfully got his pills down his gullet today with those foods. He went into surgery with a lot of inflamation due to the heavy smoke we had in the valley from forest fires (Willamette Valey, Oregon). Also, we happened to be in the process moving from our old hous, (homeless and couch surfing for a week), until our new house was available for move-in. I think the smoke, stress from the move caused the inflamation to take hold. So he did not go into this surgery from a position of strength. He was comprimised already. I'm certain that didn't help him. So, just in the last hour, he can sort of get a little air through his nostrils. Hopefully this gets better quick.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'll definetly keep the vanilla ice cream in mind. Seems the only foods he will eat is pizza and fried chicken. We successfully got his pills down his gullet today with those foods. He went into surgery with a lot of inflamation due to the heavy smoke we had in the valley from forest fires (Willamette Valey, Oregon). Also, we happened to be in the process moving from our old hous, (homeless and couch surfing for a week), until our new house was available for move-in. I think the smoke, stress from the move caused the inflamation to take hold. So he did not go into this surgery from a position of strength. He was comprimised already. I'm certain that didn't help him. So, just in the last hour, he can sort of get a little air through his nostrils. Hopefully this gets better quick.

Absolutely... stress is adding to his issue and if he is struggling for air that is causing him to be stressed to ....

PLEASE keep us posted

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
We had this also done but had to use soft foods so it didn't irritate his palate... I know also the importance of keeping them quiet for weeks as you don't want heavy breathing or stress for a while.. Sure hope things are settling. Very scary, and then moving etc to boot!! all the best!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Yes, how is he doing?

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
Sorry for the delay in updating his status. Some good and some bad has happened. He's not well yet but not dead either. Went back in for a secondary rhinoscopy. They found a large blood clot (hematoma) near the nasal opening of the throat. It somehow developed post-surgery (for his soft palate). They removed it, inspected nasal passageway, and found no other cancer, pollyups, or any other weird thing. Definetly still had inflammation present. The tracheal tube that was inserted caused more inflammation in the throat. He was NOT doing well after the second surgery. All 4 surgeons were exchanging ideas. These people have experience with short-face breeds. Doc suggested a large dose of steroid to kick the inflamation in the pants. And, subsequent prednisone daily for two weeks. This was last Friday afternoon. Today (Monday afternoon), his breathing is more clear and he can gargle some air through his nasal passageway when his head is in an upright or level position. There is a lot of thick nasal discharge still and some of it is bloody. He's exhausted. He hasn't had more than 20 minutes naps every now and then for 2 weeks. We're exhausted. Up with him on shifts all night taking turns to hold his jaw open so he can sleep for short spells with our fingers in his mouth. I'm hopeful that the air movement through the nasal passageway is a good sign? Does it mean the prednisone is kicking in? How long should it take for steroidal drugs to work? I took a course of some last year for some bronchitis that just lingered forever. Took about 2 weeks for the inflamation to settle down and go away.

OP
U

Ulfberht

Aug 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulfberht
And thank you all for your concern. Anyone with any more info or experience to add is totally welcome. We're not out of the woods yet with this poor pup.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry for the delay in updating his status. Some good and some bad has happened. He's not well yet but not dead either. Went back in for a secondary rhinoscopy. They found a large blood clot (hematoma) near the nasal opening of the throat. It somehow developed post-surgery (for his soft palate). They removed it, inspected nasal passageway, and found no other cancer, pollyups, or any other weird thing. Definetly still had inflammation present. The tracheal tube that was inserted caused more inflammation in the throat. He was NOT doing well after the second surgery. All 4 surgeons were exchanging ideas. These people have experience with short-face breeds. Doc suggested a large dose of steroid to kick the inflamation in the pants. And, subsequent prednisone daily for two weeks. This was last Friday afternoon. Today (Monday afternoon), his breathing is more clear and he can gargle some air through his nasal passageway when his head is in an upright or level position. There is a lot of thick nasal discharge still and some of it is bloody. He's exhausted. He hasn't had more than 20 minutes naps every now and then for 2 weeks. We're exhausted. Up with him on shifts all night taking turns to hold his jaw open so he can sleep for short spells with our fingers in his mouth. I'm hopeful that the air movement through the nasal passageway is a good sign? Does it mean the prednisone is kicking in? How long should it take for steroidal drugs to work? I took a course of some last year for some bronchitis that just lingered forever. Took about 2 weeks for the inflamation to settle down and go away.

What a horrible ordeal for you all.... i would think the steroids should help within two weeks

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers fir a successful recovery

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh no! and,, hopfully the good is going to overcome !!! This stuff is so hard and wearing on us physically and mentally, and emotionally!!! I hope all will take a turn to the better real soon..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.