????vitimins?????

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
What vitimins should I give my bully? My chevy has taken ester c since he was 4 or 5 wks old what other vitimins should I be giving him like I heard fish oil is good for keeping his hair soft like it is now as a puppy instead of course like most grown dogs I have heard of quite a bit now about 3 or 4 times a week he gets a egg because I heard it is also good that the protein and omega 3 fatty something or other is really good for him so should he be taking more vitimins than just ester c

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You don't need to give vitamins since dog foods are nutritionally complete. But some supplements I give:

Kelp:about 1/8 tsp daily https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B004XIS14M/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502369615&sr=8-7&keywords=sea+kelp

Also coconut oil ( 1-2 tsps per day), salmon oil ( eg. Grizzly brand, or squeezed from capsules meant for people ), turmeric (1/2-3/4 tsp per day). I give Actiflex-4000 https://www.amazon.com/Veterinary-Acti-Joint-Compound-Quart/dp/B00938UJ9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502370441&sr=8-1&keywords=actiflex-4000 since it contains vit c ,and bioperine to increase turmeric absorption, plus glucosamine to prevent arthritis.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I also give a can of sardines once a week. Great for dogs but don't need if you are using a fish based dog food like Orijen Six Fish. I don't think dogs should get a fish based dog food since they tend to be high in contaminants according to cleanlabelproject Clean Label Project - Clean Label Project

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What vitimins should I give my bully? My chevy has taken ester c since he was 4 or 5 wks old what other vitimins should I be giving him like I heard fish oil is good for keeping his hair soft like it is now as a puppy instead of course like most grown dogs I have heard of quite a bit now about 3 or 4 times a week he gets a egg because I heard it is also good that the protein and omega 3 fatty something or other is really good for him so should he be vitimins than just ester c

Ive been home cooking for 15 months for Nyala. I give/gave her centrum. Not the one for 50 and over just the regular one as she does eat much kibbles. But lately she gets daily Green frozen tripe. Vitamins has stopped. Duke had issues with bald spots but that's resolved. Eggs is good n you dont need to add vitamins to his diet if he's also on kibbles which already has vitamins in it. I just bought raw steel head trout so they will be getting that too in their diet. This contamination is like in anything. Do your homework, read what you're buying and especially who's the company. You can buy fresh sardines and freeze them. Once in a while give one to Chevy. i buy frozen chicken necks. There's probably like 25 in a bag for $7. That's a cheap healthy snack. For the hair, Nyala has a thick corse hair even as a pup. Her coat shines! Duke is still softer so both different hair. Type of hair has nothing to do with what I feed them. Basically if you feed your dog fresh fish here n there, raw snacks here n there, keep up your maintenance with essential oils here n there, you're not going to need giving extra vitamins. I know raw food is less expensive in the US. So if you can go 1/2raw n 1/2 kibbles as his diet, you wont need to break your head. I still boil a turkey n keep the broth. I freeze the broth in ice cube trays and give them that as a snack. Great for cooling down in hot weather.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you do home cooking then you should give vitamins as you can't be sure it's nutritionally complete. I think rather than home cooking the entire recipe it's easier to add your own cooked or frozen raw protein , then buy a base mix that gives you the rest, eg BalanceIT, Urban Wolf, Honest Kitchen Kindly base mix, Sojos base mix,Dr Harveys, U-Stew
DogAware.com: Dog Food Mixes

Ive been home cooking for 15 months for Nyala. I give/gave her centrum. Not the one for 50 and over just the regular one as she does eat much kibbles. But lately she gets daily Green frozen tripe. Vitamins has stopped. Duke had issues with bald spots but that's resolved. Eggs is good n you dont need to add vitamins to his diet if he's also on kibbles which already has vitamins in it. I just bought raw steel head trout so they will be getting that too in their diet. This contamination is like in anything. Do your homework, read what you're buying and especially who's the company. You can buy fresh sardines and freeze them. Once in a while give one to Chevy. i buy frozen chicken necks. There's probably like 25 in a bag for $7. That's a cheap healthy snack. For the hair, Nyala has a thick corse hair even as a pup. Her coat shines! Duke is still softer so both different hair. Type of hair has nothing to do with what I feed them. Basically if you feed your dog fresh fish here n there, raw snacks here n there, keep up your maintenance with essential oils here n there, you're not going to need giving extra vitamins. I know raw food is less expensive in the US. So if you can go 1/2raw n 1/2 kibbles as his diet, you wont need to break your head. I still boil a turkey n keep the broth. I freeze the broth in ice cube trays and give them that as a snack. Great for cooling down in hot weather.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you do home cooking then you should give vitamins as you can't be sure it's nutritionally complete. I think rather than home cooking the entire recipe it's easier to add your own cooked or frozen raw protein , then buy a base mix that gives you the rest, eg BalanceIT, Urban Wolf, Honest Kitchen Kindly base mix, Sojos base mix,Dr Harveys, U-Stew
DogAware.com: Dog Food Mixes

Ok let me rephrase this.... Nyala eats raw, dry, HC, real green tripe, chicken necks, marrow bones, Spot Farms Turkey, HK, 5-6 hr boiled turkey with broth which has tons of minerals, raw liver, raw heart, raw deer, eggs, kefir, raw n semi cooked veggies, fruits, sardines, frozen steelhead trout, and im probably forgetting something on her menu.... I started with baby steps when she was 5months old. Gradually added a different protein once a month. Yes true, if I would JUST give her home cooking or base HK she would need a vitamin like I gave her. But she never eats the same thing anymore. Why she doesn't need vitamins.

So to ANYONE (and [MENTION=17222]Chevysmom[/MENTION]) out there that has young pups, build them up slowly with different protein monthly to eliminate any allergic reaction towards a meat. But again, thats ONLY if they do get a reaction. Nyala didn't to anything. So far. Today im very greatful I went through all of this with her as I know my list is done. Maybe I should be greatful she had crystals as I learned a lot about "how to properly feed dogs". Now it's Duke's turn. If its on kibbles you want your dog on, same route, one protein per bag will get the same results. My rule is one month tryout or the whole big bag. But make sure once in awhile you add sardines or real broth or nice morrow bone etc. When it comes to raw, im very iffy as im in the food industry and trust me isee a lot of cross contamination. But thats because of the human. Humans fault. I just make sure when I feed raw, the meat or organs are frozen in their own bags. Never mix n keep frozen at all times. Ok hope this was clearer. If not, c'est la vie :2thumbs:

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Thanks so much Chevy is on dry kibble for now I just want to make sure he is getting everything he needs nutritionally

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I give Dozer and Blossom plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble and I add fresh strawberries, cut up bananas, or blueberries, and sometimes watermelon, they get apple cider vinegar everyday, I add coconut oil and kelp to their evening kibble, and use toppers like cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower or other vegetables we are eating for dinner. I also give them a cranberry pill, I buy them from the Pharmacy and I open the capsule and put the powder on their kibble.

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Thank u all very much this all very helpful and how much should I give Chevy he is 16 wks old and I'm gonna guess and say about 30 lbs his last vet visit was at 12/wks and he weighed 21.6 lbs so I'm sure he has hit 30 by now

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online