nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Hi everyone! Like I mentioned above, last night was nachos first night home and he was crying in his crate all night. I have his crate set up in the living room of my apartment and at night I was able to get him in by putting toys in there. He was fine for about 5 minutes and then started crying. I have read in several places to ignore it and let him cry, so I did. We went to bed at about 10pm. at about 1 am he started crying again so i took him outside because i thought he had to pee. of course, no pee. came back in, cried a bit, and i cried on and off through the night. this morning at 6:30 am i took him outside-- no potty or pee. cam back in, fed him, about 15 min later, went back out-- no potty or pee. came back in, and let him walk around the apartment freely. at 8:20 HE POOPS IN THE KITCHEN FLOOR!!! Last thing, he keeps peeing on my rug! most the apartment is hard floor and i have a carpet in the living room that he peed on three times. overtime after he pees i quickly try to soak up all the pee with towels and then put the dog odor eliminator on the area.

Ive placed potty pads around the apartment but he is ignoring them.

Can anyone give me tips on how to handle both of these situations? MUCH HELP NEEDED FROM A NEW BULLY OWNER!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Always put Nacho outside about 15mins after eating. Stop all meals especially water after 6 pm. Toilet training is extremely difficult at that age. But whatever you do, dont put puppy pads everywhere as you're going to send mix messages to your puppy. I can pee anywhere. Never allow a puppy to roam freely in a house. I think I read somewhere he's 8weeks only? Get a metal pen so he can walk around n leave a puppy pad in there. Opposite side of his little bed.

OP
nachothebulldog

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Awesome, Im going to give this a try! Thank you so much!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
How long are you outside with him? Sometimes it takes a while...like 30 minutes or more. Right after he eats or drinks take him out and keep him out until he pees. Then shower him with love and praise. You can do this!
Until you begin to make progress, take the rug out of the equation.
Please post pics of Nacho.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Always put Nacho outside about 15mins after eating. Stop all meals especially water after 6 pm. Toilet training is extremely difficult at that age. But whatever you do, dont put puppy pads everywhere as you're going to send mix messages to your puppy. I can pee anywhere. Never allow a puppy to roam freely in a house. I think I read somewhere he's 8weeks only? Get a metal pen so he can walk around n leave a puppy pad in there. Opposite side of his little bed.

Exactly what I did with Hank and for all the 'toughness' that I've heard these guys can be, this here worked perfectly for us and was fast... oh yeah, he was 3 months old but !!!!!!!!!!!! had been let to go wherever until then so I thought it was amazing quick.. I didn't just leave him freebee (no supervision) for a few months, but as long as I was up, and available when he was out of 'his' area, there were no accidents. Sure gives y9u some relax time when you cant stare at them making sure they don't go in the wrong place...

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Congratulations on having got your little pup!

Can you remove the rug or is it a fitted carpet? When Castor was a pup, we rolled up all rugs and put them in a corner for a month or two. Pups will pee on the floor - like babies they cannot hold it for long and it takets a few weeks for them to learn when and where to go. I don't think pee pads are needed - little Nacho needs to be taken out once an hour or so the first week(s) and then every two hours, etc. It's much better if he learns to pee outdoors only. It does mean someone will need to be close to him and watch over him the first month or so, though. If you need to leave him, I suppose newspaper or pads on the floor in the room he is confined to might be needed.

I also think leaving a pup (or child) alone in order to 'teach' them not to cry is very cruel and in fact counterproductive. Let him sleep next to your bed and if he cries (remember the little one has recently lyft his mom and siblings) put you hand on him so he feels that you are there for him. Perhaps take him up and let him fall asleep in your arms. After all, he's a little baby!

Just like with kids, there are different approaches to raising dogs and I fully believe in using an attachment parenting approach. The time you invest in being close to the pup/child when they are young is likely to pay off when they get older!

And please show us pics of little Nacho!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
You've been given a ton of great information here, I can only add what worked for Joey. Crate was right next to my bed, half covered with a sheet on top. BE CAREFUL OF LEAVING TOYS IN CRATE when not supervised. Nacho is really young, be sure the only toys used to coax him in or make him feel safe are destruction proof, because of choking. Most here have cautioned you against letting him free roam, they are sooooo right! Joey was under constant supervision for MONTHS AND MONTHS. Best way to prevent bad habits later is to stop them IMMEDIATELY and the only way to do that is to have your eye on Nacho 24/7 (for now) Please don't worry, it gets way better! This is the tough part, at least I think. Good Luck and keep venting here, we've all been there :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Are you surprised that he pooped on your kitchen floor ? :D He is a puppy and will poo and pee where and when he feels the need to poo or pee, before you teach him where the right place is. I don't think crate training is best to start by locking the puppy in for his first night at a new home. If you deside the dog should sleep n an other room than you do you best sleep in the same room in th beginning. If you choose a crate t is much better if you have a X-pen around it so you can keep the crate door open, but the pup will stay in the pen. You can put pads in one corner of the pen or a tray where is some sand. Physiologically young pup can o without peeing as many hours +1 as he is ol so a 3 month old pup can hold for 4 hours, but that doesn't mean that he does. The more trouble you see in taking him out and praising for the job right done, the faster you see results. Like others have said take the rug away and take him out after meals, after waking up, after play and in between. If you can't supervise him put him in the pen where the crate is. Crate door open. It will become a place that he likes if he is left getting use to it without closed doors. That you can teach him later, little by little. One minute at the time.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Great advice from everyone above OK my chevy is 15 wks and this is what I did when I brought him home first we set up a feeding scedual he ate 4 times a day when I got up n got ready for work then we took a potty break n back to bed then my hubby fedbhim when he got up n got ready for work our sceduals r 5 hrs different but then he took another potty break n playtime n potty break again n then back in his crate until I got home n ate again n out for the day n then he ate at bed time but he went out after everymeal and about every 30-45 mins otherwise until he fig out I potty outside but in every room of my house I had a couple of puppy pads in the corner just in case he couldn't make it outside and when he pottied somewhere he wasn't supposed to I picked him up put him on his puppy pad n said potty here and don't get upset if he pottys in the floor he is only learning the way I look at it is carpet can be cleaned and as far as crate training goes I always put a treat in Chevy's crate and left the door open so he could come and go at bed time I did not try to talk him into going to bed I put his treat in picked him up put him in and always said night night chev closed the door and put a blanket over the top and sides so it was dark n he felt safe and he criednthe first night or two but settled right into it and when he cried I let him cry it out and if he started to cry through out the night I would take him out just in case and come streight in and put him back now I might put quiet toys in there so if he can not sleep he has something to do quietly while u sleep your bully will follow what ever routine u set u just have to get a routine and stick with it hope this helps best of luck with ur new baby

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Congratulations on your new baby! My Josephine just turned 6 months old.... and like you I didn't think I was going to survive the first week much less month! This forum is an excellent resource with lots of loving EB parents on it with lots of good advice learned the hard way a lot of the time.

This is what I found worked for Josie, and your puppy will let you know what works for him as well. Josie sleeps in a crate in my bedroom so I can hear her, she can hear us and know she is not alone but she is safe while I am sleeping. Puppies are BABIES. They don't know chewing on the electric cord will hurt them, or not to pee on the floor. They also get scared they have just lost everything they know and will look to you for comfort and attention. Give him lots of snuggles and love to reassure him that you will always be there for him. The first night home Josie cried and cried so I got up with her and held her on my chest so she could hear my heartbeat. She settled down and fell asleep. She needed this done a few times that first week.

At first she woke me up every 2 hours all night long, just like a newborn human. I would take her outside, give her a snuggle then put her back in her crate. I was sooooo tired those first weeks, I thought many times I can't do this, but over time 2 hours became 3 then 4 then a whole night through. When that happens the angels sing and the sun shines and you look in the mirror in the morning and think not bad. Josie still likes to get up early, around 6 am, but my husband is up early too so I simply get up take her outside then deposit her with Daddy for some cuddles and playtime while Mommy goes back to bed for another hour or so.

Get an xpen or even a baby playpen, it will save your sanity and your house. When you can't have EYES ON, puppy goes in the playpen. Make it a safe fun place for him to be. A few safe toys, chew bone, water, etc. i never put pee pads down as from past experience they just tear them up and eat them. Your puppy needs to go out every hour, like clock work. His bladder is very tiny and he doesn't realize yet that he can hold it. Over the next few weeks start with every hour then when he makes a few days with no accidents go to an hour and 15 do a few more days or a week then add a bit more time. It really helps to keep a book, game or something near where you want him to go since at first he will explore and play not realizing you want him to go potty. Watch him and learn his signs for getting ready to go then praise him like there is nothing greater in the planet than his going then and there. Those first couple of months I spent so much time watching and waiting for her to go potty I felt kind of weird being so obsessed with her bodily functions but you kind of have to be to get control of them. It's helpful to have a command that you always use when he is about to go. We use Go Potty Josie. She will squat on that command now. So pick a command and say it every time he gets ready to go potty. There will be setbacks. I had the hardest time with Josie getting excited during play time and leaking a little piddle, she didn't even seem to realize she was doing it. To control this we changed where and how she was played with and we would take her outside more frequently so her bladder was empty.

There is A LOT of trial and error, what works form on puppy doesn't always work for another. You will learn your puppies signals, likes, dislikes and needs and eventually it gets easier. I would highly recommend removing anything and everything you don't want, peed on, chewed on, puked on, etc from the vicinity because trust me the one thing you don't want any of that to happen to it's a guarantee it will. I still have baby gates on all my stairs, rooms shut off so she can't go into them, etc. The world is a huge wonderful place for your puppy to explore and he has time to go slowly and start small like one or 2 rooms then slowly expand his world. He needs to learn this is my home aka crate so I don't potty here, then this room is my crate so I don't potty here, then these 2 rooms are my crate so I don't potty here, until he understands the whole house is his crate and he only potties outside it.

Good luck, backtrack a bit and start over setting up a schedule and boundaries, and you will do just fine. It's okay to be overwhelmed every new mother is and that's what you are a new fur mommy with a new fur baby. Cherish every moment they grow so fast!

Terry

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gang totally has you covered.... good luck and stay consistent.

Pictures please

:welcome3: to EBN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
I can't add much just commiserate a bit ;). Jack and Josie have been home for 7 nights. Jack could care less. He just wants to sleep lol. Josie needs a lot of comforting. I lay next to her crate while she falls asleep. Sometimes it takes a minute sometimes 10. Just me being close has been enough 99% of the time to help her relax and go to sleep. Both my pups love human touch and being held so I understand that she really is anxious right now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.