HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Hi! My name is Hannah. I'm new to this forum and I have a 9 month English bulldog named Wrangler. He has a cherry eye that just appeared randomly one day. It began turning black, and now it's taken over his entire eye. I'm making him a vet appointment tomorrow. But he can barely open his eye and has some kind of white discharge around it. He keeps pawing at it too, which I'm taking as a sign that it's bothering him. Is surgery the best option? I've never had an English bulldog before him and I've never had a dog with cherry eye either. I'm not sure what to do, but I want him to get better. He is my baby and it kills me to know that he is in pain! Any advice on the surgery itself or any other options????

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Hi Hannah and Wrangler! So glad you are taking him to vet tomorrow. As far as I know, Cherry Eye should NOT turn black nor should it have a white discharge. Could you attach a pic of his eye? My Lady has cherry eye in both eyes which I'm saving the $ to have the surgery done. Lady's eyes will water, but never had a discharge or gets swollen.

Please keep us posted on what the vet says tomorrow.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
IMG_2422.JPG
This is the best I could get. He wouldn't sit still long enough to let me get a better one! ��

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sorry, I don't know anything about Cherry Eye but wanted to welcome you to the Forum Please let us know how he gets on at the Vet. Poor baby.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Hmmm, is it possible he could have gotten bitten by something? Not to change the subject he looks like a handsome little dude

Here are Lady's cherry eyes. IMG_0280.JPG

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
I don't think he has gotten bitten by something. It didn't look this bad when it got diagnosed by the vet. But it just keeps getting worse.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Thank you! He is very handsome in my eyes!IMG_2121.JPG
Here's a better picture of him!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How long is his cherry eye out? Hours? Days? Normally when cherry eye pops out, you can easily massage it back, and do it every time it pops out, it is dangerous to leave it exposed. And if you massage it back, it is possible to wait until you are ready morally and financially for a surgery. You cannot leave cherry eye popped out for a long time, this can cause damage and infection.
Black spot looks strange to me, but if his cherry eye is out for a long time, it could be an infection of exposed tear gland (cherry eye is actually displaced tear gland). If, by any chance, you have antiseptic or antibiotic eye drops or eye ointment, put some in his eye. And go to vet ASAP.

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
We have massaged it back in numerous times and it continues to come back out. Everytime we massage it. Now it just hurts him so I'm taking him to the vet in the morning.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, when it is so swollen it hurts for sure. Poor boy. In case you have any eye drops ( best is with antibiotics and antiseptics but if no, any moisturising OTC eye drops like Systane or else) just use them to keep his eye and this swollen gland moist, as dryness is not good for eyes and future recovery after surgery ( tissues that are exposed won't dry and inflame more with eye drops and will recover faster).
I wish poor Wrangler fast recovery!

OP
H

HannahYother

Aug 6, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrangler Jo
Hi everyone! Thank you for all of the advice. I took my baby to the vet this morning. The vet was a little bumfuzzled with his situation as well. He put eye stain in his eye to see if his cornea had been damaged in any way and it didn't show any external damage to the eye. His eye is still completely cloudy and his third eyelid and everything on the inside of his eye is really swollen and irritated. He said as far as he could tell that nothing was wrong with is eye. He believes something just got into his eye and has irritated the cherry eye (which is why it has swollen to double its size and taken over Wrangler's eye) and also severely irritated his cornea (which is causing it to be severely cloudy). He gave me some eye drops to give him twice a day everyday until I take him back for a second look on Wednesday! If it is not better by or before Wednesday, he is going to look at other options!

Also, the black on his cherry eye he said is normal. When an internal gland is exposed to sunlight it creates a pigment (like when people tan) to protect the skin. Its actual his body protecting the gland. He said it's the same thing that happens when a dogs tongue starts turning black from exposure to the sun! Who Knew?!?!

I will keep everyone updated and thank you for the concern and all of the help!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
wow, so discouraging when an answer isn't found right away! :( Well I hope the drops take care of it for you/him. My Shih Tzu once got a foxtail in her eye lid,,, I kept checking for the watering but couldn't find... One day, I pushed just right and saw the thing lying there...got it out (it wasn't stuck in eye, just laying against it) and that was that. Horrible they have to go through trial and error though..

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Poor guy! Yup- definitely cherry eye. My boys left side had s cherry that wouldn't go back in with massages. After 2 failed tacks, we ended up removing it. It's been about 1 1/2 yrs and no dry eye issues. His right side would pop out here and there, but we are able to massage it back. If at any point it won't go back in- I'll just take him in to get it removed. I'll include pics of him with cherry eye and after surgery.

f2c4f395ac6812ecb653f896c7ef2b92.jpg

Picking him up after removal surgery (just found these, so I'm adding them late):

061b565a593da726411b1d6c8fd93b27.jpg

e544abae6cae91718bef93bee2b11dec.jpg

Right after surgery:

5931430c5db16a13bfab1dd54af9b1f1.jpg

Now:

c08cefc9bc87c4e5c401691ae2fe214a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Not meaning to hijack the thread but....

Josie has no signs of it YET, but if she does, how do I "massage" it back in?

I am hoping she doesn't develop it but I know with Bulldogs it's a high possibility. In fact I've already started saving for it as I haven't a clue how much the surgery is either and want to be prepared if I can so she doesn't suffer. Does anyone know the percentage of EBs that develop cherry eye?

Thanks everyone.

Terry

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online