Infected tail pocket

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
OK I know Chevy is 15 wks old n yes I should have known what a tail pocket was but I was told it was a roll on top of there tail n my chevy did not have one so I read the arrival called what is a tail pocket on here and as soon as I came in from work I checked n chev does have one and it has hair n brown stuff coming out of it I immediately cleaned it with paper towels and witch hazel but my question is what do I put on it to kill the infection or bacteria or what ever is growing in there and is there any trick to make cleaning easier chev fights n tries to hold his tail down n tries to bite its quite a process I saw all the posts saying how to clean it but I don't know what to do to get it back under control thanks in advance

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
OK I know Chevy is 15 wks old n yes I should have known what a tail pocket was but I was told it was a roll on top of there tail n my chevy did not have one so I read the arrival called what is a tail pocket on here and as soon as I came in from work I checked n chev does have one and it has hair n brown stuff coming out of it I immediately cleaned it with paper towels and witch hazel but my question is what do I put on it to kill the infection or bacteria or what ever is growing in there and is there any trick to make cleaning easier chev fights n tries to hold his tail down n tries to bite its quite a process I saw all the posts saying how to clean it but I don't know what to do to get it back under control thanks in advance

If it is infected and it sounds like it is he will need antibiotics he is fighting and biting because he is in a lot of discomfort and or pain. Once you get the infection clear then what you are doing cleaning wise sounds fine. If the infection is very bad a vet may need to sedate him and clean it out. I was totally ignorant to tail pockets and poor George suffered for months, finally I got to the root of the problem but for Georges tail it was too late he had to have an amputation. Hopefully you have caught it in time I pray you have anyway. Another good way of cleaning given by my vet was flushing the area with a syringe of water and some baby shampoo then dry well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I cured infection in 3 days with witch hazel and Neosporin ointment. Worked like magic. Wiped with witch hazel, waited 15 min, then wiped remnants of witch hazel dry with paper towel. After that I put some Neosporin. Repeated it 2 times a day. In 3 days everything was perfect again. But since then I put always after bath and may be every second day some Columbia Antiseptic powder (with Zinc oxide and Phenol) under his tail. It helps to keep it dry. Also, after bath dry it thoroughly with paper towels and pinch all dead hair. Tank also hates this procedures and tries to bite, not really BITE, but it's like an instinct for them, he will even bite his own paw while I clean there. They always air lick and bite when you clean there.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I doubt that it's infected if he hasn't been scooting or backing up to something to itch it. Put him in the bath tub and use soapy water and your fingers to get in there and get it clean...use latex gloves if need be. Rinse very well and then rinse again. Once clean make sure it's dry by patting not by rubbing. Baby wipes or Tucks are OK for regular maintenance...once daily, or as needed. You'll get the feel for it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

You do not need antibiotics for a tail pocket. Again I deal with this every single day with Nyala for a year. I dont use witch hazel as if it's irritated you will sting Chevy n trust me he will yelp. I do this every 2 days n been working great. I posted this yesterday somewhere else.

The mix I use works great n she has no issues. The mix or amputation. I'll stick to the mix. Here's the potion.*15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*(the clear one) fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears (tail and any rash) that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... wipe with witch hazel and keep it dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If pocket is ever really sore then put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I only mentioned the vet check and the possibility of antibiotics as my bulldog had an exceptionally deep tail pocket and the vet said we realistically could never have cleaned it properly. Of course if your dog isn't showing signs of obvious discomfort like the scooting on their butt you should be good with the cleaning. Again as it became such an issue for us I am always very anxious about seeing posts like this. I truly hope you have caught it in time and can manage without any medication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Thank u all very much I was going to put neosporin or some kind of antibiotic ointment in there but was worried that it would keep it wet and make it worse my husband walked in last night as I was in the middle of cleaning his tail pocket and was in shock I only found out what a rail pocket was and that Chevy had one yesterday WHAT R U DOiNG TO THAT BABY he yelled I guess it was a sight I explained and he calmed down he said honey when I walked in it did not look good n now this morning I woke up to find him doing the same lol n it does look really bad if u wasn't aware of really what was going on lol

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had a deep tail pocket tight screw tail and we had to clean it every time he had a BM. His tail was kind of pushed down over the opening so not a good scenario. Most people on here are aware of the saga of Monty's tail and continuing infections and it is something that should not be taken lightly. Antibiotics are absolutely necessary with certain conditions.

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
OK thank u all so much I think I may have panicked a little he does have a tail pocket not a real deep one but I that night I cleaned again with baby shampoo and a syringe and dryed really really good and cleaned again with witch hazel and a little more stuff came out the next morning I got up and gave him a batth and cleaned again this time nothing came out this time I dryed and used witch hazel and put neosporin in there we had it everywhere he does not like this process at all and last night I cleaned again and still nothing came out so this time I put gold bond powder to keep it dry so now I'm gonna try n see what happens when I cut cleaning down to one time a day I think it may have been just really yucky in there n not yet infected or if it was I caught it before it could become a full blown infection because it seems to be OK n now I'm afraid I'm cleaning it to much and I'm going to make it sore just because I'm fooling with it too much so is it safe to start cleaning just once a day

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
IMG_20170529_220140.jpg

I was told that he has a bun tail is this right

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Very cute tail! And you did very good job catching it early before big problems started! Now when everything back to norm, you can just put witch hazel and gold bond powder once a day for 2 days and after you can reduce it just to powder every second day, no need to wash there every day any more. Just wash there when he has regular bath and dry! And powder it.

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Thank u all so much that is part of the reason we picked him he was the only one in the litter who had a tail like that we thought it was tooooo cute

Members online

No members online now.