How much protien for puppy

Montysmom

Oct 6, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty, Archie
I have a 7 month old puppy and we are feeding him Wellness Core Puppy. It has 36% protein which is much more than what the breeder was feeding him (Eukanuba). Is this too high? And should we be switching him off the puppy formula soon? I assumed at 12 months but saw a posting that it should be sooner. Is there a recommended protein content for bulldogs?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a 7 month old puppy and we are feeding him Wellness Core Puppy. It has 36% protein which is much more than what the breeder was feeding him (Eukanuba). Is this too high? And should we be switching him off the puppy formula soon? I assumed at 12 months but saw a posting that it should be sooner. Is there a recommended protein content for bulldogs?

Personally I would get the puppy off Wellness as the have way too many recalls! You dont need to take him off puppy food if he's growing at a steady weight. Puppy food has a lot more nutritional values in it as they need it. If he's gaining weight too fast, yes you can consider adult food. Like most knows if its a kibble you want your puppy to stay on, I would go with Orijen or Acana. And no 36% is fine.

Low Protein Dog Foods

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You can switch at any time after 6 months. If you have a partial bag left then you can start transitioning now. If you are almost out then buy 1 more bag of puppy food and begin the transition to adult food. Protein in the 25-30% range should be sufficient. We feed Acana Single Duck and Pear and I think it's 27%. Whatever you feed, avoid anything with wheat, corn, or soy.
Preferred foods are more expensive with Orijen, Acana, Fromm topping the list...worth every penny.
Please post puppy pics...we like puppy pics.

Members online