Texas Heat and new puppy

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
I am bringing our little one home in 3 days. We live in Texas so it's been running 95+. I am bringing Josie home from Indiana. I think the highs are low 80'a usually high 70s, so a drastic difference. Can you help me with the heat thing? Is 5 minute potty break in the heat of the day po long? Can she hang out on a shaded front porch even if it's 95? Any advice would be very helpful. I would never want to harm her just because of our horrible heat. She will be 10 weeks old if that matters :)

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
It all depends on it puppy and how she Handel's the heat my Chevy can not tolerate the heat at all we live in Ky and even when its a cooler day he walks out side n u would think I had put him in the oven but his mom can Handel heat very well loves to play outside even on the hottest of days she will let u know by panting rapidly and she will want back in immediately just make sure if she goes out even for a 5 min potty break she always has plenty of fresh water avail bulldogs r like kids no two are alike she may love to be outside in the shade or she may be like my Chevy and go straight out do her business n want to come right back in just watch her she will let u know

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I am bringing our little one home in 3 days. We live in Texas so it's been running 95+. I am bringing Josie home from Indiana. I think the highs are low 80'a usually high 70s, so a drastic difference. Can you help me with the heat thing? Is 5 minute potty break in the heat of the day po long? Can she hang out on a shaded front porch even if it's 95? Any advice would be very helpful. I would never want to harm her just because of our horrible heat. She will be 10 weeks old if that matters :)

We live on the Gulf coast of FL. It has been at least 90F and very humid every day since the beginning of May. Daphne has never seemed to mind the heat. She spends (by her choice) a good part of her day on the screened covered lanai. She goes in and out her doggie door to the yard many times a day. She gecko hunts and will sit in the sun on the brick pavers outside the screen doors a few times a day. She only sits out a couple of times a day for about 15-20 minutes. She is never panting. Then she comes back into the air conditioned house. She lays on the cool tile floors and naps. It's a rough life for a Bulldog, but someone's gotta do it and might as well be Daphne. She seems to be able to self-regulate her heat tolerance. We only walk her before 8AM, never in the evening.
Be cautious and take it slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When it's miserably hot here, and we have had some 103 w/the heat index days... I only allow my guys to be outside for the max 10 minutes. NOW this being said, they are NOT running & playing, this is a potty break. Puppies are notoriously playing, so I would keep a sharp eye on her... absolutely NO longer than 10-15 min even in the shade it's still hot. The humidity is what gets us here, so even in the shade it can be unbearable.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Potty breaks are no problem in that kind of heat. Playing in it is totally different. Since this is a new puppy and you haven't had the time to evaluate how the pup will handle the stress of intense heat and humidity, tread lightly. Keep potty breaks short and as frequent as necessary and do not allow play outside for anything more than a couple of minutes. Waiting until evening or early in the AM play would be best.
Pics please.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs (Bulldogs) do not self regulate. They would lay in the sun until they died. I let them lay there for 5 min. and then I have to get them by the harness and drag them to the steps and chase(ha ha) them up! My other two have the sense to get in the shade. As Tracey said it has been unbearably hot here, as I know it is in Tx., also. I would not take a chance on self-regulating.:sunny:Zzzz Mine do not! I wish mine were like Daphne-:girlyes:but they don't have thermostats!

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
I am in Houston so I am familiar with the heat.

Like others said, I would not let her play in the heat but just watch her & see if she starts panting.

Pebbles will sunbathe for 30 min in the sun, then come in & cool off on the tile floor.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne is special. It might be that lizard diet she's on.

:ROFL: I may try it for my dogs AND me-if it helps to tolerate the heat!!! (pant,pant!) pant.jpg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Agree with [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Chumly would have baked til he died too! He loved sunbathing. In the UK it was fine, not good here in TX. As soon as Monty starts panting, I bring him in. He doesn't run around, just lays around, so it is just the heat causing it and I won't take any chances.

OP
3bugsmom

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
Thank you all for your advice. It's not like I'm out for more than a couple of minutes when it's this hot either! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We live in Texas too, and we only let ours our to potty 5 to 10 minutes max. If they are running and playing keep it under 5 minutes. I hate doggie doors, too many horror stories. They may come in and they may not. They will lay out in the sun (which they love to do) and get too hot, then won't feel like getting up, and can lay there and die. Plus if you are not back there watching them, it's a good way to get one stolen. If you want to go for a walk, do it early in the morning when it is a little cooler, or late in the evening, but keep them short. Someone lost a beautiful Frenchie not long ago because the owners took a walk a little too long and the poor Frenchie died of heat stroke. The owners also made a fatal mistake and tried to cool the dog off too quickly, which put his organs in shock and this is what killed the dog. Such a sad story, and very preventable. If one does become too hot, use cool water and not cold water to cool them. You can also use wet towels, but change them every minute or that can keep in heat as well. The best thing is not to let them get too hot in the first place. Remember their paws too. If you can't stand on hot pavement or sidewalk with your bare feet, neither can they.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I'm in Seattle and we're in the middle of a heatwave (90's) and my air broke down yesterday. It got to be 86 in my house and Louie was panting way too much in the house! I ended up taking him to the breeder's house for a sleepover and hopefully my air will get fixed today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] Glad Louie had a place to go. I am always worrying that mine(a/c)) will quit. Don't have a place for dogs to go! How is Jax doing?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] Glad Louie had a place to go. I am always worrying that mine(a/c)) will quit. Don't have a place for dogs to go! How is Jax doing?

He gets his stitches out on Sunday and seems to not be in pain anymore which is great. However, he thinks he is just fine and doesn't understand he still needs be on crate rest for a few more weeks. It's a long recovery. He is definitely getting cabin fever! A few nights ago I opened the crate to take him out to go potty and he took off running and did 3 laps around the couch! Just about gave me a heart attack. Unfortunately there is a 15-25% chance of a recurrence so he's going to have to undergo some lifestyle changes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.